dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/13 4:06 p.m.

Just started doing this. I turn the ignition off and if I have my foot on the breaks it turns off. If I turn it off and I don't have my foot on the breaks the car continues to run. Touch the breaks and it turns off. Any suggestions?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/13 4:09 p.m.

Jeepers...

Somehow the ignition is getting just enough current from the circuit that powers the lights to run the car, but if the brake pedal's switch completes the circuit to ground to light the lights, then there isn't sufficient current for the ignition? That's seems like a reach.

What happens if you have the head/taillights on but don't step on the brakes when you turn it off?

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/15/13 4:13 p.m.

That sounds like a gag on Top Gear that Clarkson would do to the others' vehicles...

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/15/13 4:23 p.m.

shotgun?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/13 4:25 p.m.

You've probably got some weird ground issues there.

Try cleaning all of the grounds under the dash and see what that does.

Also, BRAKES! not BREAKS ;)

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/13 5:04 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: That sounds like a gag on Top Gear that Clarkson would do to the others' vehicles...

Rig the stop light circuit to the horn relay?

I would look at the ignition/DME relay and clean the grounds. I don't know if the 924 has a dme, but something is going on with your ignition relay ckt.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/15/13 5:10 p.m.
turboswede wrote: You've probably got some weird ground issues there. Try cleaning all of the grounds under the dash and see what that does. Also, BRAKES! not BREAKS ;)

in this case break may be more appropriate.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/15/13 5:12 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Just started doing this. I turn the ignition off and if I have my foot on the breaks it turns off. If I turn it off and I don't have my foot on the breaks the car continues to run. Touch the breaks and it turns off. Any suggestions?

I'm sure you mean BRAKES , not breaks.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/15/13 5:33 p.m.

From what I've found with electrical circuits if they something simply doesn't work, it's a fuse. If it's acting strange like this, it's a ground issue. This one is very odd though.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
2/15/13 5:35 p.m.
iceracer wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Just started doing this. I turn the ignition off and if I have my foot on the breaks it turns off. If I turn it off and I don't have my foot on the breaks the car continues to run. Touch the breaks and it turns off. Any suggestions?

reading the whole thread > you

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/13 5:49 p.m.

Reminds me of a problem I had with my Protege a couple years ago. Turning the headlights on would make the cruise control cut out. Turned out I had a bundle of pinched wires along the trunk hinge that caused some short circuits. I had to splice in replacement sections in half a dozen wires to fix everything.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
2/15/13 6:48 p.m.

Its a VW product. The fusebox will be melted.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/13 7:05 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: Reminds me of a problem I had with my Protege a couple years ago. Turning the headlights on would make the cruise control cut out. Turned out I had a bundle of pinched wires along the trunk hinge that caused some short circuits. I had to splice in replacement sections in half a dozen wires to fix everything.

This makes sense, a good portion of the harness runs near that area and it could be wiring that is worn through and moving the brake pedal moves the harness.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
2/16/13 9:29 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
iceracer wrote:
reading the whole thread > you

Just added my 2 cents.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/13 11:47 a.m.

You know I thought we were over this by now. I am to dam lazy to re type this all over again so I am going to quote my self. From Here: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/spelling-and-grammar-police-rant/47828/page1/

Dean said:
dean1484 wrote: It is getting old already. If I commented on every spelling mistake I see here at GRM I would have people waiting out side my door with base ball bats. People. .. . Get over it! This is not CC and quite frankly it is why I like it here. CC has a time and a place and and I frequent there quite a lot. But lately I seem to be the lightning rod for peoples comments about spelling and grammar. If you have the time to comment on my spelling you need to get out and work on your car more. I will say it again. I really suck at spelling. It is just not what I am good at. Ok? We happy now? If it makes you happy I will type it out long hand 1,000 times. My teachers in grade school made me stay after school and do just this and guess what it does not fix the problem. Dyslexia is a SOB. Try it. I think that when the big guy was assembling my genes they thought it would be funny to remove the spelling one. People have told me for years that I should be able to "see" the words in my head. Well I think they left that screen out of my brain. While I am at it if you have an issue with my spelling let me know about it so I can go fix it. Hell my personal email is dsmith@radio.fm. Don't be afraid of using it. I much prefer you do this so i can fix it instead of having you wast other people's time reading about my poor spelling and typing skills in some ones car related thread. Ya I am annoyed about this. I probably should not be but it just gets old after a while. People think they are helping or something. It is the "Hay look at you. You spelled it wrong." what good does this do? I try to be nice but there really are times when I want to let loose with a streaming rant of 4 letter words and dress down these people. Maybe they think they are helping some how. I don't know. The reality of going this rout would not do anything other than get me baned and probably make enemies of some really great people. It is like they are my mother. When I am at her place she has to tell me to wash my hands as I go the the head. She can not help her self. At almost 50 I think I got it already and yet she keeps doing it to me and my brothers. I think the grammar police are similar. They just can not help themselves and that is why I just shake my head and move on. Sorry for the long rant. I feel better now. Carry on.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yAoMytDRQeeefyDpqHqZSXZ4iHmFwn2MePCpesiUXpsctODlrDO4Q2CclHMKNrdR