1 2 3
RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
12/3/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I disagree with your conclusion, but respect the sentiment. 

With respect to the OP's original question, my instinct is to recommend prepping your current e90 and getting something else to daily. For the binary answer you requested, I think the 986 fits the bill better. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/22 6:28 p.m.
docwyte said:

You guys can love on Miata's all you want.  They're not all that and a bag of chips.  I'm not a fan

Some of us know about your Miata experience.  I agree there is no one size fits all car, but the Miata works well for lots of people in a variety of situations.  They are also very easy to keep maintained.  I'm sure I'd love a 996TT, but I missed that boat sadly and will never have one.  I may someday have an LS powered Miata, a turbo Miata or a supercharged Miata though. 

I'm never going to think Porsche's cable shifters are good or even the best cable shifters though.  Honda does that better, sadly.  And Miata's have the best shifters in the business. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/3/22 8:21 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
docwyte said:

You guys can love on Miata's all you want.  They're not all that and a bag of chips.  I'm not a fan

Some of us know about your Miata experience.  I agree there is no one size fits all car, but the Miata works well for lots of people in a variety of situations.  They are also very easy to keep maintained.  I'm sure I'd love a 996TT, but I missed that boat sadly and will never have one.  I may someday have an LS powered Miata, a turbo Miata or a supercharged Miata though. 

I'm never going to think Porsche's cable shifters are good or even the best cable shifters though.  Honda does that better, sadly.  And Miata's have the best shifters in the business. 

Doc has had the reverse anecdotal experiences. Miata, Lexus GX, BMW e36 trash. Porsche the nickname for reliable.

:-)

I did absolutely adore my 2 996 cable shifted transmissions though. SMOKED the miata and BMW shifters I have driven and the Porsches heel toe sooo much better.

12/3/22 8:54 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

You must have driven the worst Miata on the planet.  Mustangs and Camaros have better shifters than Porsche.  Transmission mounted shifters are so much better than cable shifters.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/3/22 10:28 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Whoa, whoa there... let's not go nuts my friend.  wink  I agree the Miata is the best shifter in the business.  Not sure I'd put a Mustang over the Boxster though.  Actually I think what bugs me about the stang is the clutch.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've always found it unnecessarily heavy.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/22 11:02 p.m.

Honda does that better, sadly.

Isn't that because Honda uses shift rods instead of cables?  The 90s cars I've looked at did, at least.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/3/22 11:22 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

Not sure I'd put a Mustang over the Boxster though.  

I would, and I've had both.

12/3/22 11:28 p.m.
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Whoa, whoa there... let's not go nuts my friend.  wink  I agree the Miata is the best shifter in the business.  Not sure I'd put a Mustang over the Boxster though.  Actually I think what bugs me about the stang is the clutch.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've always found it unnecessarily heavy.

Those cable operated clutches were heavy and I was younger.  The newer Mustangs are hydraulic too!  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/4/22 6:02 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

You must have driven the worst Miata on the planet.  Mustangs and Camaros have better shifters than Porsche.  Transmission mounted shifters are so much better than cable shifters.  

This has to be satire right? Want to find 5th gear on track in my t56? Good luck brother. It's got an mgw shifter but still feels like a box of hot dogs seperates each gate. My old gt3 had a bolt action rifle compared to my brother's NC stock for stock. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/4/22 8:47 a.m.

Why I've stayed with BMWs for my track cars (beginning with an E36 M3, moving to an E46 M3, and now with an M2):

1. The versastility of having four seats . . . as a parent, it was far easier to do "car stuff" when I could take the kids.
  2. The dynamics of front engine/rear drive.
  3. The smoothness of an inline six.
  4. The ability to run a square tire set up.
  5. The ability to bring dedicated track tires to the event.
  6. The relatively low cost of BMW parts.
  7. The extensive access to expertise from the race community.
  8. The "relative" anonymity of a BMW.
  9. The fact I can take more than a helmet and a small tool box -- we've done epic road trips to events with plenty of room.

I have a Miata -- I love it, too, and is certainly worth consideration.  I've also owned a C4 Corvette, and a Lotus Elise.  The above list doesn't really apply to those cars in any way despite the strengths they have in other areas.

In short, my M cars have been "versatile" -- I've used them to autocross, drag race, cruise, and attend HPDE.  They just work well in that capacity.

12/4/22 9:25 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

This has to be satire right? Want to find 5th gear on track in my t56? Good luck brother. It's got an mgw shifter but still feels like a box of hot dogs seperates each gate. My old gt3 had a bolt action rifle compared to my brother's NC stock for stock. 

I've never driven a GT3.  It better have a better shifter than a 996 or 986.  Comparing it to my bolt action rifles is the most ridiculous comparison here.

Your T56 complaint is the distance between gates from 4 to 5?  I'm not talking about the distance to gates.  I'm talking about that awesome vagueness and cold weather crunch all cable operated Porsche shifter seem to share in common.  If you are getting that in a T56 something is broken or bent.  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/4/22 9:47 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I've never driven a GT3.  It better have a better shifter than a 996 or 986.  Comparing it to my bolt action rifles is the most ridiculous comparison here.

Your T56 complaint is the distance between gates from 4 to 5?  I'm not talking about the distance to gates.  I'm talking about that awesome vagueness and cold weather crunch all cable operated Porsche shifter seem to share in common.  If you are getting that in a T56 something is broken or bent.  

Distance is not the issue, it the spacing between 3 and 5 and the vagueness wondering if you truly made it into 5th or might have to rebuild your motor here in a sec.

Brand new c7GS we track regularly same issue. 

My 996 TT and GT3 were similar levels of mechanical precision sliding into very well definated gates. Never driven a Boxster though to be fair. 

Long nitchy shifters never bothered me though so it may just be a preference thing. My bmws I usually ended up regretting SSK installs. Wish I could spend the coin swapping any tranny into this LS swap tho. T56 is the sux.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/4/22 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I loved my e36 and e46 m3's.  They're great do it all cars.  However every car has its shortfalls, particularly when it's used on track.  The e36/46 M3's have their fair share and I don't think they're any better than a 986.  All of them need money invested to make them reliable for track use.

The gx wore everything out at the same time.  That was incredibly frustrating as I was constantly working on it.  None of my other cars, including the so called dumpster fire unreliable VAG products have ever needed their steering rack replaced.

My 996 shifts quite well but I've made sure to align the shifter correctly.  I'll also note that when I changed the tranny fluid with new Porsche unicorn tears it made a huge difference in feel.

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
12/4/22 2:43 p.m.

Lots of interesting comments here. What it all boils down to is this (putting flame suit on here devil) - the BMW is a sedan, and the Boxster is a sports car. Although the BMW certainly drives really well, and has great performance, the dynamics just aren't the same as the Porsche due to the mid-engine design (and to an extent) the flat six engine.

I think either car would be a good choice for the OP. The BMW is more versatile because it is a sedan, but the Boxster is probably even more fun on the track. And if you enjoy having a convertible, then the Porsche is the car for you. Both cars sound great, but the flat six wail is awesome.

12/4/22 8:57 p.m.

The flat six wail is intoxicating and the Boxster chassis and steering are simply amazing.  

If I were going to buy a car just for the track, a Cayman S would get a long look and the new 1LE Camaros and a Mach 1 mustang.  Sadly I don't have the space for all these cars or funds.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
12/5/22 5:54 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:

Lots of interesting comments here. What it all boils down to is this (putting flame suit on here devil) - the BMW is a sedan, and the Boxster is a sports car. Although the BMW certainly drives really well, and has great performance, the dynamics just aren't the same as the Porsche due to the mid-engine design (and to an extent) the flat six engine.

I think either car would be a good choice for the OP. The BMW is more versatile because it is a sedan, but the Boxster is probably even more fun on the track. And if you enjoy having a convertible, then the Porsche is the car for you. Both cars sound great, but the flat six wail is awesome.

No flame suit needed, you're not wrong.  I've had this exact conversation with my wife.  We talked a lot about keeping or selling my 986.  She asked me to compare it to my 128i.  I said pretty much the same exact thing.  I love them pretty much equally but for different reasons.  The 986 was one of the best sports cars on the planet in its' day, and is still pretty top notch.  The 128i was a top level sporty coupe in its' day.  Apples and oranges.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VAIvGKarKgn3P3Hb5Dq7BX9xinFLh2RWWf603t4wCaFyPN2150j3bVu0nELzNkh7