pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/22 3:45 p.m.

I'm depressed and life is short so I'm thinking about moving on from the NC and doing something gleefully dumb for myself, just once in my life.

Anyone driven both at any length?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/22 3:52 p.m.

No Porsche experience but I hope you know you're comparing two cars with running costs in different leagues?

I have beaten some Caymans in raw time with my 86 though. Some have beaten me too (especially newer and higher-end models).

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/22 3:56 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

The base 987.2 seems to be broadly considered the last "simple" Porsche with port injection, no IMS problems, relatively DIY-able, etc. But yes, I am fully prepared to pay Porsche Prices for stuff.

FWIW I said "gleefully dumb," not "extremely well-considered" cheeky

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/22/22 3:57 p.m.

I'd go 987.2 all day, every day, if you find a really nice car.  And I like the GR86 a lot.  I would love to have a 981 base with good options, just to wring it out every day.

If you want turn-key, warrantied convenience, then the GR86 is the way to go.  

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
12/22/22 4:02 p.m.

I tried this with a 987.1 and sold it after it disappointed me too many times.  My friends with FRS/BRZs still rave about how much they love their cars, and I can't help but feel like I backed the wrong horse.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/22/22 4:05 p.m.

Never driven a Cayman. Even though they are reliable, just like when I had my 135i, if something big happens it's wallet destroying (I'm assuming).

I haven't spent a ton of time in my new BRZ (only about 700 miles in just under 4 months), but I really enjoy it. The engine is a massive step up over the 1st gen BRZ I had. But I won't be able to compare stock for stock anymore. I go pick it up today with the new suspension and wheel/tire setup.  A catback as well, but that doesn't really do anything for the actual performance or handling of the car.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/22/22 4:06 p.m.

There was actually a really good video on it. Their take was a tossup. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/22/22 4:23 p.m.

I've driven multiple 981s (base and s) and a GR86 at decent length. I'd say either one could be the right choice depending on what you're looking to get out of it. Based purely on the "gleefully dumb" part I'd say Porsche is the right answer, but we need more information.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/22 4:30 p.m.

Every time this type of question comes up I recall the time I tried to explain to a non-car friend that it was by no means utter insanity to buy a Saab, but that it did increase the odds of having a big, expensive problem at some point, which would be a little more likely, bigger, and more expensive than if they bought a Camry.

They absolutely understood all the words and made an informed decision, but I don't think it helped them feel better when the Saab ate its transmission.

I'd be way more excited about the Porsche, but it's hard to really picture that moment the bill comes due in the middle of other life stuff.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/22 5:06 p.m.

I am biased, of course. Everyone should drive a Cayman.

Plus...that sound.

I have been tossing the same question around.  Talked to a local guy who has 135K miles on his Cayman and says "jump in the pool".  And everyone knows I'm bias to mid-engine cars.   I'm just scared of the "Porsche Tax".  But , then glue in the 86 oil pumps?

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/22/22 6:15 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

I have been tossing the same question around.  Talked to a local guy who has 135K miles on his Cayman and says "jump in the pool".  And everyone knows I'm bias to mid-engine cars.   I'm just scared of the "Porsche Tax"

Porsche tax is really about air cooled cars with their $1000 main bearing sets and such. There's a few random outliers but for the most part modern porsches aren't really any more expensive to own than any comparable vehicle of the same era. If you're comparing to a 90s japanese E36 M3box, yeah the parts are going to be more expensive. But that's not a comparable vehicle. Yeah, the GR86 is going to be a bit cheaper just from having 50% less oil capacity and using smaller/narrower tires, but not like an order of magnitude or anything crazy. Somewhat ironically the porsche is probably more fuel efficient.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
12/22/22 6:16 p.m.

Man. Cayman all day err day. It's not my money so it's an AWFULLY easy call here. 

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
12/22/22 6:20 p.m.

Is this for a DD, HPDE, or w2w car? I'd go with the Porsche for a street car since you'll be easier on it, its insured, and it fits better with "life is short". Not sure I'd say the same if its spending most of its running time at the track, where its easier to bash it into a wall, and upgrade-itis is way more expensive when buying aftermarket Porsche stuff.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/22 6:46 p.m.

I went through this a few months ago. I was this close to buying a GR86. Then a 987.2 base PDK popped up on my Craigslist search notifications and I thought I should check it out. I wound up in the Cayman. It's a great daily drive. It's pretty well dialed in right out of the box on the track. I added adjustable front lower control arms so I could add a little camber. I don't plan on making any more changes.

I've already put roughly 10k miles on it in the last 6 months. Zero regrets so far. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/22/22 7:04 p.m.
spedracer said:

I'd go with the Porsche for a street car since you'll be easier on it, its insured, and it fits better with "life is short". Not sure I'd say the same if its spending most of its running time at the track, where its easier to bash it into a wall, and upgrade-itis is way more expensive when buying aftermarket Porsche stuff.

I'd actually probably go the other way, although it depends on the type of street use. Daily driving to work on the highway? Absolutely the cayman, just an all around nicer place to be for longer periods of time. As a weekend car tooling around canyon roads and such? Honestly probably the GR86. With a few light suspension mods and decent tires it's just an absolute weapon in that 80% of the limit, mid speed sustained cornering, not a ton of outright acceleration setting. The cayman is good in that setting and might even perform slightly better objectively, but just doesn't have the same light, responsive feel to it that the GR86 does. On track the GR86 would do fine, but cayman all the way. More power for the straights, a bit more stable and predictable handling for safety, and just generally more robust and durable mechanically. I'm assuming both would be about the same price point, so not much difference in track insurance cost or material loss if you total it.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
12/22/22 7:06 p.m.

I have a pretty nice Cayman and my buddy has a new GR86.  I think we both occasionally wonder if...  but I'm pretty sure we both made the right choice.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/22/22 7:17 p.m.

I have been tossing the same question around.  Talked to a local guy who has 135K miles on his Cayman and says "jump in the pool".  And everyone knows I'm bias to mid-engine cars.   I'm just scared of the "Porsche Tax".  But , then glue in the 86 oil pumps?

Since all the hype has died down, it seems to be incredibly less common than originally feared.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/23/22 12:16 a.m.

I think both would be nice.  If you want to provide the cars, I'm willing to rallycross them in the name of science and give you my feedback on both platforms afterwards :p.  Either way you are going to have fun.  For me, I'd be looking at insurance, fuel economy and cost of consumables and upgrades.  I think the twin will likely win out in this case. 

GameboyRMH
12/23/22 8:29 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Since all the hype has died down, it seems to be incredibly less common than originally feared.

Would still recommend getting the oil pan & pickup checked if you get a 2.4L model, it's way less of a PITA than any step of trying to get the engine replaced under warranty. Ounce of prevention and all that...

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/23/22 9:07 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I think both would be nice.  If you want to provide the cars, I'm willing to rallycross them in the name of science and give you my feedback on both platforms afterwards :p.  Either way you are going to have fun.  For me, I'd be looking at insurance, fuel economy and cost of consumables and upgrades.  I think the twin will likely win out in this case.

Don't need to do that experiment, cayman as long as the surface is smooth enough that the ground clearance and long overhangs don't cause issues.

Insurance is probably a toss up, I could actually see the cayman being cheaper based on the typical owner demographics but who knows. I wasn't kidding when I said the cayman fuel economy is better, both are 93 octane only. GR86 will be a bit cheaper on consumables. Also cheaper generally on upgrades, but will need more upgrades than the cayman so it probably evens out. While I wouldn't expect either to be problematic, there is something to be said for having a warranty.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/23/22 9:10 a.m.
dps214 said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Don't need to do that experiment, cayman as long as the surface is smooth enough that the ground clearance and long overhangs don't cause issues.

Insurance is probably a toss up, I could actually see the cayman being cheaper but who knows. I wasn't kidding when I said the cayman fuel economy is better. GR86 will be a bit cheaper on consumables. Also cheaper generally on upgrades, but will generally need more upgrades than the cayman so it probably evens out. While I wouldn't expect either to be problematic, there is something to be said for having a warranty.

I still want to do the experiment.  I would literally rallycross anything if someone tossed me keys.  It's the most fun I've ever had in cars for cheap. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/23/22 9:56 a.m.

Cayman.  No question.  It's just a much nicer car, handles really well, built to a better standard.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/23/22 10:19 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
z31maniac said:

Would still recommend getting the oil pan & pickup checked if you get a 2.4L model, it's way less of a PITA than any step of trying to get the engine replaced under warranty. Ounce of prevention and all that...

Then you also leave it to a dealer tech to reinstall the pan with the correct amount of RTV on the pan. And we saw how many engines failed because of that after the valve spring recall. 

GameboyRMH
12/23/22 10:55 a.m.
z31maniac said:

Then you also leave it to a dealer tech to reinstall the pan with the correct amount of RTV on the pan. And we saw how many engines failed because of that after the valve spring recall. 

True, but considering why the car came in they should be extra careful, and if something does break, the dealer now bears even more responsibility - they didn't just sell you the car, they fitted the pan themselves! wink

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lIZsM300BHhNPQHhc9RLqtXaHWWPhSSJapvo6HF7iwhewCqMMxKA409Jgt1UpeHO