Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
3/13/20 8:00 a.m.

Story by Alan Cesar • Photography as Credited

Geoff Koteles is living out a legacy. His father, George Koteles, had been involved in the SCCA since the 1950s. The man was an architect, a neat freak, and the executive chief steward of the Western Division. George started putting together this Mazda GLC when Geoff was in college. 

Geoff took a semester …

Read the rest of the story

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
3/13/20 8:17 a.m.

Gosh dang that is cool, 190 horse out of a naturally aspirated single cam 1.5 is heroic. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/13/20 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Especially a non-Honda single-cam engine, and one that only made 68hp to begin with

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/13/20 10:37 a.m.

If anyone wants to build a 1.3L, RWD version of a GLC (78-80), let me know. I've got all the fixings for a great vintage racer. Clean shell, race engines, multiple rears, suspension, multiple wheelsets, etc. etc.

I will most likely not be racing again and I've lost the passion to rebuild this car. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/13/20 11:36 a.m.

I remember this write up.

Especially this part :

The Koteles car shifted the engine down 1.5 inches and back almost 3 inches to improve weight distribution. This also got the axles lined up more directly with the hubs. Moving the engine wasn’t technically allowed, but they did a good job making it look factory. The tech inspectors never noticed. 

My son should lower the engine in his  1986 Golf GTi.  wink

For science.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
3/13/20 8:55 p.m.

Got damn, that is sweet!

fsheff
fsheff New Reader
3/16/20 11:57 a.m.

George is at the wheel in this photo from a practice at Riverside International Raceway Turn Six, 1984 or so:

03Panther
03Panther Reader
3/16/20 7:54 p.m.
hobiercr said:

If anyone wants to build a 1.3L, RWD version of a GLC (78-80), let me know. I've got all the fixings for a great vintage racer. Clean shell, race engines, multiple rears, suspension, multiple wheelsets, etc. etc.

I will most likely not be racing again and I've lost the passion to rebuild this car. 

Would love to see that make it to the challenge!

Shaun
Shaun Dork
4/12/21 7:05 p.m.

200 ft lbs must be a typo- whatever, 190 HP is nuts, and that is a sweet family success story!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
4/12/21 7:28 p.m.

I had one of those with an automatic  , it was scary slow when stock , 

Amazing they could get that kind of HP out of it !

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
4/12/21 8:01 p.m.
fsheff said:

George is at the wheel in this photo from a practice at Riverside International Raceway Turn Six, 1984 or so:

I thought I recognized that car.

and

"and the executive chief steward of the Western Division"

When was that? I only recall a Southern Pacific (SoPac) and Northern Pacific divisions.

SGLArizona
SGLArizona
7/22/21 1:17 p.m.

Steve Lisa here.  I love you story.  As you may know, we still have one of the Dave Jolly/Metalcraft GLC's that I ran in the SCCA to many wins and Runoffs apperances, eventually netting a 3rd at the Runoffs.  Mark Brannon also drove it a few seasons and stood on the Runoffs podium.

We have run the GLC as several HSR/Road America events, and will have it back our in a bit (we are currently rebuilding the motors).  

Great job and keep racing.

Steve.

leegrx7
leegrx7 New Reader
6/4/22 2:41 p.m.

In reply to fsheff :

The Riverside pic of #66 appears to be an RX-3.  ??

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/4/22 7:41 p.m.

In reply to leegrx7 :

I'm guessing that was from about '82 or so.  If you ran up front, most manufacturers back then would help out on some things, as long as you were running a current body style.  That's why he switched to the GLC, I'd bet.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/4/22 8:32 p.m.
hobiercr said:

It sounds like a lot of work and too far away but I'm sure it's a Great Little Car.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/5/22 3:36 p.m.

That looks really familiar. I think I may have seen it race back in the day. If not that one then one of the GLC's I am sure. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hjAuGbPK1xWdQFc7jLnnbnP2PB2qSkkACRjyb6hAaoZMBSdtVdp5Ej1028B0l0sT