David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/18/23 12:45 p.m.
feature_image

We’re old enough to remember when a Ferrari F40 only cost a million or so dollars–because that’s what they traded for just a few short years ago.

Today, though, budget a little more: Mecum just got $3,135,000 for this 1992 Ferrari F40 at last week’s Kissimmee sale. Then add in the 10% buyer’s premium.

Is that price a fluke? …

Read the rest of the story

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/23 12:51 p.m.

They also got $60k+ for a 90s era Chevy single-cab long-bed truck. It is insane what people will pay at auctions like that. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/23 12:56 p.m.

I feel sorry for the pickup truck buyer's hootus.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/18/23 1:38 p.m.

If the ugly Ferrari is worth that, imagine what a 250 GTO costs.

Watching Kissimee, my take away was shock at how much pure stock 70s era muscle cars were selling for.   Things with lousy suspension, ball steering, carbs, and drum brakes.

I can see paying for pro-touring cars with FI, disk brakes, good suspensions, etc.  But things that were rebuilt to look just as they came off the factory floor 50 years ago????

David S. Wallens
1/18/23 1:48 p.m.

I was there as the Daytonas and Superbirds crosssed the block. This photo kinda taken from the wings, but look at the floor ($1000 to sit down there) plus the main grandstand. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/18/23 1:48 p.m.
Toyman! said:

They also got $60k+ for a 90s era Chevy single-cab long-bed truck. It is insane what people will pay at auctions like that. 

And a 454ss truck with 7 miles went for 100k

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/18/23 1:50 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Anywhere from 50 to 60 million is recent numbers 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/23 1:53 p.m.

As the second coolest Ferrari made in my lifetime, its probably about right.  What are 288 GTO's going for these days?

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/18/23 1:54 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
ShawnG said:

Anywhere from 50 to 60 million is recent numbers 

Can confirm. Hagerty values a 250 GTO in concours condition at $70 million. If you are looking for a project, though, you'll likely only have to pay something closer to $51 million.

I'd have to do more research to track down recent auction results, though.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/23 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Damn, I thought the one I saw for 6K was too much for a Single Cab long box with 4X4. I may have to rethink that. 

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/18/23 2:09 p.m.

Didn't a 89 blazer go for something like 100K?  Yep, 13k mile unrestored squarebody sold for $93,500.  I know these things aren't exactly plentiful on the ground these days, but almost 100K for K5 Blazer?  

David S. Wallens
1/18/23 7:19 p.m.

The other take-home here: For $30 or so, it's a heck of a car show. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/23 8:13 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/23 9:20 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Watching Kissimee, my take away was shock at how much pure stock 70s era muscle cars were selling for.   Things with lousy suspension, ball steering, carbs, and drum brakes.

I can see paying for pro-touring cars with FI, disk brakes, good suspensions, etc.  But things that were rebuilt to look just as they came off the factory floor 50 years ago????

Modified cars are not worth much.

I run into this mindset on rx7club as SA prices have been skyrocketing.  People are annoyed that a clean stock SA is 20k+ while an SA with a header and other common mods is worth only $5-6k or so.  "But it's been improved!"  No, it's been altered.  A car is only stock once.  Collectors are not interested in anything but the nostalgia, speculators are only interested in future value.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/23 10:11 p.m.

At Monterey Car week this summer there were about 5 of these parked at various locations in Carmel. A roadster  was getting lightly rained on with the top down. Mucho dollars. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
1/18/23 10:45 p.m.

They made what 1200 F40's they are not even rare in the traditional car sense. I have been around a few of them and there is a whole long list of stuff I would take before that even in the same price range that would be better suited for collecting and even dare I say it driving. 

I need to dig up the photo but there are three of them, of course all red, next to each other at one of the local Italian car hob knob gatherings here in San Diego and that is not all of them that are here. 

David S. Wallens
1/18/23 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

With modified cars, I think it depends. (Isn't that always the answer?) 

I agree that in many cases the modified car is worth less–but then look at Broncos, Camaros and even 356s and 911s.

Just using these two as examples because they landed next to each other in my search results: A clean, unrestored 1969 Camaro RS/SS brought in $85,800, while a pro touring-type (kinda) 1969 Camaro sold for $90,200. I know, right? 

Here's a Bronco example: $203,500 for a customized 1970 Bronco

I can't remember the specifics, but years ago at Monterey we watched a fairly routine hotrod bring in big money–billet wheels, etc., etc. Soon after it, a very original Porsche formerly owned by a member of the family sold for less. 

As a friend in the biz once told me, Two dudes wanted it. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/18/23 11:37 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

One could say the same thing about 50 year old Ferraris, but no one is restomodding them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ot8zSxlFlsmn2VFPpWoIVora4LWzWO1c03MoInRDIXr3BcveLeoRebCyMQGp0i4Q