_
_ Dork
1/27/20 12:30 p.m.

Everything on my new Miata is perfect except for the stain that's about the size of a half-dollar on the passenger side seat. I tried some shout, per the Mrs. and it didn't affect anything. This is black interior and the stain is it just a lighter hue of black. What's the GRM go to?

edit: The title should say good stain remover, not fabric cleaner. Sorry.

_
_ Dork
1/27/20 12:38 p.m.

Also, it's unknown what the stain is. A PO did  it. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/27/20 12:49 p.m.

Black dye?  The stain is probably gone, but it may have damaged the underlying material. Try various stain removers first, then if all else fails, black dye.

_
_ Dork
1/27/20 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Any recommendations on a stain remover? Something aggressive, but won't harm the black fabric.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/27/20 1:43 p.m.

Coleman camp stove fuel, otherwise known as white gas which is essentially the same as dry cleaning fluid.  You should be able to get it at any sporting goods store and probably most hardware stores.  An old time auto upholstery shop owner told me about it; it works quite well on both fabric and vinyl upholstery, and doesn't leave a ring or an odor after it dries.  Put some on a clean rag or towel and rub the stain, and keep moving to a clean spot on your towel or rag as it lifts up the stain.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/20 1:43 p.m.

Spot Shot.  Do it.

I know it says "carpet."  I use it on upholstery all the time.  It is more or less dry cleaning fluid in an aerosol can.  If this doesn't do the trick, it isn't a stain.  It is a discoloration of the fabric and you'll need to re-dye it.

Image result for spot shot

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/27/20 1:45 p.m.

Another idea is (don't laugh) a pressure washer.  I have done this a few times before.  My 99 F150 was pristine except the PO was an excavator.  The seats and carpet were a mess.  I pulled the seats out on a hot day and pressure washed them.  A couple hot days later they were dry and went back in.

_
_ Dork
1/27/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

Being what season it is, I might have to wait until summer to do that one.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 2:05 p.m.

Tuff stuff 

einy
einy HalfDork
1/27/20 2:38 p.m.

Resolve spray and a medium stiff brush.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/27/20 2:42 p.m.

I've had good luck with brake cleaner.  Got some gnarly stains that I think were mostly oil-based out of 15 year old conversion van carpet with that stuff.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/27/20 4:16 p.m.

In reply to _ :

I use Resolve.

_
_ Dork
1/27/20 4:42 p.m.

New idea- coloring the spot with a sharpie. 
yes? No? Maybe? I've used it on button up shirts before. It usually lasts until a few washes. Not sure if it would rub off on passengers (which would be SWMBO). 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/27/20 5:12 p.m.

I think Coleman fuel is naphtha, which was an old spot remover.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0JnF8Zor2Aeld4tRFN3BZUknOEiXSuGzzwJ4gHkHmsCzjmj8mhfwKm22QH4nhhKs