1 2 3
jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/15/18 11:48 a.m.

My RS is in the shop right now for a recall on the head gasket, so the dealer gave me a loaner, a pretty boring Focus SE 4-door automatic.  After a couple of days, I was in checking on the status of the repair and while chatting with the salesman, asked if I could get something more interesting.  I've got this now:

460 Hp, 6-speed manual.  Just slightly more fun than a base Focus. devil  One of the cooler features is that there are projectors in the outside mirror that put this image on the ground:

You might say I have no complaints about my dealership. yes

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/18 11:51 a.m.

That IS a horse of a different color. Aren't you afraid it will ruin you for the Focus?wink

trucke
trucke SuperDork
2/15/18 11:51 a.m.

You got a 'manual' as a loaner.  I'd say you have no complaints.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/18 11:59 a.m.

Now thats a good loaner 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/18 12:00 p.m.

<Napolean Dynamite>Lucky!</Napolean Dynamite>

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/15/18 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Danny Shields :

Nope.  I actually like driving the RS better.  It's just more connected; more direct, more accurate, more feel - just better.  And surprisingly enough, the Mustang's low end torque isn't what I would have expected from a big V-8.  Although some of that might be because it had 10 miles on it and was pretty tight; it seems to be loosening up some now.  I was surprised to see a 7500 rpm redline, and I can definitely feel a big jump in torque at 3500 rpm.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
2/15/18 12:48 p.m.
jstein77 said:

I was surprised to see a 7500 rpm redline, and I can definitely feel a big jump in torque at 3500 rpm.

Well, then that's where you should be dumping the clutch each and every time.  Duh.  laugh

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork

OK, who has a base Focus?  Swap him for the Mustang, then return the Focus and be all like "Mustang?  What Mustang, you loaned me this Focus, who loans out Mustang GTs?"  Then walk away.  

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Reader

Can I request a burnout video? 

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
2/15/18 12:52 p.m.

I see Ford is ending Focus RS production on April 6, 2018.  That didn't last long.sad

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/15/18 1:09 p.m.

How many cars have you bought from that dealer....that’s royal treatment 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/18 1:09 p.m.
Fletch1 said:

I see Ford is ending Focus RS production on April 6, 2018.  That didn't last long.sad

The current Focus is ending, so it makes sense.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/15/18 1:14 p.m.

Nobody has made a "Loaner boner" joke yet? You guys are slipping.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/18 1:21 p.m.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/15/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Just one, the RS - but I have an honest face. ;)

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/15/18 1:37 p.m.
jstein77 said:

Nope.  I actually like driving the RS better.  It's just more connected; more direct, more accurate, more feel - just better.  And surprisingly enough, the Mustang's low end torque isn't what I would have expected from a big V-8.  Although some of that might be because it had 10 miles on it and was pretty tight; it seems to be loosening up some now.  I was surprised to see a 7500 rpm redline, and I can definitely feel a big jump in torque at 3500 rpm.

I've heard that they are soft down low and many people say that it doesn't feel like that much power. I think that's just a function of how Ford tuned them. They pull harder up top and all the way to redline. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/15/18 1:42 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:
jstein77 said:

I've heard that they are soft down low and many people say that it doesn't feel like that much power. I think that's just a function of how Ford tuned them. They pull harder up top and all the way to redline. 

Yep, that's what I'm feeling, but I'm reluctant to rev the whee out of it when it isn't mine and has less than a hundred miles.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
2/15/18 1:46 p.m.

Much better than the few v8 Mustangs I've been in that were great low down but all out of poop after 4000rpm. Also I think this new generation of Mustang is just plain sexy.

Edit*  Admittedly the only v8 mustangs I've been in were modular powered or older.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/15/18 1:55 p.m.

I always liked driving these when I was at ford. BUT I preferred the focus ST over the GT mustang.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
2/15/18 2:00 p.m.

So don't jump all over me, but do I spy a lot of ND miata in the sloping shape of those headlights/nose? (or a lot of mustang in the ND miata?) I guess I haven't seen them from that angle or maybe there was a minor refresh on the 2018 cars?

I wonder if that's function follows form (either from pedestrian crash tests or aero) or just a trend....

Either way, such a nice looking and sounding car.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/15/18 2:03 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Much better than the few v8 Mustangs I've been in that were great low down but all out of poop after 4000rpm. Also I think this new generation of Mustang is just plain sexy.

I worked in a Ford dealership in 1980.  There was some tiny V8 available then in the Mustang- a 255 or something?  It had a spectacular torque curve, all the way up to about 2200rpm.  Seemed like a rocket sitting still.  Profoundly dissapointing anywhere above that.  Out of steam at 3500 worse than my 305 82 Camaro.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/15/18 2:14 p.m.

And I like new Mustangs.  If I were shopping sporty coupes, I might have a hard time not going Ford, although that goes against generations of family history.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/15/18 2:26 p.m.

Wow. 

The pony projection from mirrors is an order of magnitude cooler than even the sequential turn signals laugh

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/15/18 2:55 p.m.

Had one of these ponies try and throw a beat down on the 'V'......but being the model citizen with zero discipline, I wisely declined wink 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Np2SJlI6d0A4KZcQwhT5sJOvrFztywVqXpKDnUWPUrT4Ef7Tbc0T6g0FYDAnIgDv