1 2 3
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
2/15/18 3:07 p.m.

I think I would like the rev ability of this stang. When I had my 94 cobra (302) I was disappointed that it ran out of balls as the tach climbed. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/15/18 3:21 p.m.

My son got that car when his Saab was in the shop, who'da guessed they were even in the same family?

caffeine357
caffeine357 New Reader
2/15/18 4:09 p.m.

Yeah maybe this is a sales tactic by Ford haha

I bought a 2013 v8 f150 like a month ago and the cooling system all E36 M3 the bed. When I brought it in for service they said the parts were on order for a month, when they gave me a fully loaded 18 f150 as a loaner I told them to take their time fixing it. 

I bet if I was paying out of pocket for the entire cooling system to be rebuilt the parts would be available alot sooner. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/15/18 5:24 p.m.

Beautiful car.  Love that color too.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
2/15/18 6:05 p.m.
caffeine357 said:

Yeah maybe this is a sales tactic by Ford haha

Exactly my first thought - oldest trick in the book: "give it a try, the first one is free".

Salesdude thinks you won't want to give it back.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/18 6:33 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:
jstein77 said:

In reply to Danny Shields :

Nope.  I actually like driving the RS better.  It's just more connected; more direct, more accurate, more feel - just better.  And surprisingly enough, the Mustang's low end torque isn't what I would have expected from a big V-8.  Although some of that might be because it had 10 miles on it and was pretty tight; it seems to be loosening up some now.  I was surprised to see a 7500 rpm redline, and I can definitely feel a big jump in torque at 3500 rpm.

I've heard that they are soft down low and many people say that it doesn't feel like that much power. I think that's just a function of how Ford tuned them. They pull harder up top and all the way to redline. 

Time was you couldn't have it both ways.  If it ran to entitlement down low then it suffered up top and vice versa.  Those days are gone thanks to VVT and variable intake runner length although I'm not sure the 5.0 uses the latter.  So yeah, I'd say it's the tune.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/15/18 7:32 p.m.

In reply to bludroptop :

Oh yes, I'm fully aware of that.  He might be a bit disappointed when I tell him I like my RS better.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/20/18 8:27 a.m.

I brought the Mustang back yesterday, expecting the RS to be done, but found out they needed one more part. Apparently, they damaged a fuel line and had to order a new one. So now I have this:

Other than the pretty color, this thing is worthless. It only has a vague notion of straight ahead and is totally clueless as to what to do with corners. The seats are horribly uncomfortable and the rest of the interior is uninspiring. I've always hated SUV's, and this does nothing to change my opinion.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/20/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

ha. always felt that way when i was test driving those

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/21/18 7:31 a.m.

Well, I found one redeeming feature of this otherwise miserable Escape - the little 1500 cc turbo engine is pretty sweet.  Decent power and smoothness, with great revability.  Though it's only averaging 20 mpg in this heavy brick, I can imagine that would improve a lot in a lighter, more aerodynamic chassis.  Like a base Focus hatch, for example, if such a thing were available (which it's not).

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

I had one of those as a rental a few months back and was surprised at the amount of balls it had for what it was. Didn't realize it was an Ecoboost until I went to merge onto the highway and was pleasantly surprised. 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/18 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

There are two Ecoboosts in play here, this car is the 1.5, which makes something like 180hp.  There's also the 2.0 Ecoboost available (same engine as Focus ST, Explorer, etc) that makes 250.

Furious_E
2/21/18 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Matthew Kennedy :

Did not know that, my assumption had been it was available with an N/A 4 banger and a single turbo 4 option. Actually, i guess had intially assumed it would be the same 2.0 as the FoST, just detuned a bit, but TBH I have never cared enough about the Escape to look. Having driven a FoST though, I'm guessing the Escape had the "small block."

I'm losing track of all these Ecoboosts anymore: 1.5 4 cyl, 2.0 4 cyl, 2.3 4 cyl, 2.8 6 cyl, 3.5 6 cyl...Am I missing any? 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
2/21/18 5:51 p.m.

Wasn't there a 1.6 4 cyl ecoboost at one point too?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/21/18 5:56 p.m.

1 liter 3 cylinder Ecoboost as well wasn't there?

Or something equally small and strange that could fit in a backpack. 

mw
mw Dork
2/21/18 5:59 p.m.

2.7 in the trucks? Definitely was a 1.0 in the fiesta 

Furious_E
2/21/18 6:06 p.m.

Yup, 2.7 not 2.8, thats my bad. And i knew i was missing some of them cheeky

So has anyone figured out engine management for these things in a swap yet? There's gonna be a metric E36 M3 ton of these things hitting the salvage market in the coming years...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/18 6:17 p.m.

My fusion has the 1.6 but I think utt became the 1.5 after 2014

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/21/18 8:54 p.m.

Yeah, the base Focus has the 1.0 3-cylinder Ecoboost, and it's also optional in the Fiesta as well.

I escaped from the Escape into my wife's 6 year-old Sedona van, and realized that it drives better, is far more comfortable, has more power and gets almost the same mileage as the Escape.  It also has 20 times the interior volume.

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/18 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E :

It's not an easy engine to control.  Double VVT, closed loop high pressure and low pressure fuel pump control, electronic throttle, and direct injection to top it off.  I don't know that an aftermarket ecu (that isn't a $8000 Bosch setup or something similar) that can handle it.

I believe Ford Racing will sell you an ECU that doesn't require they key/body control module/etc.  I wonder if the Ford ECUs are hackable like the GM ones are so that you can use the stock ECU and disable stuff until it works.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/23/18 7:30 a.m.

I had to spend an hour in the Turdscape this morning, and after the first half hour my left leg started falling asleep from getting the circulation cut off.  The handling reminds me of C&D's description of the 74 Pinto: "Handles like a fat man in ski boots."  PLEASE give me my Focus back.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/18 7:51 a.m.

Should have said you were interested in the mustang but just needed a few more days to decide if it was right. That would have kept you in it for a few more at least. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
2/23/18 7:58 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

I did consider just keeping it, but my conscience got to me.  After all, I already had put 200 miles on it and they're going to sell it as a new car.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
2/23/18 8:02 a.m.

Buying the track pack mustang was a mistake in my opinion. 1st gear is worthless and makes me want an automatic. Don’t get me wrong 400+ hp is a lot but it just doesn’t have the feel I want from a sports car. The newer mustang makes a great cruiser in my opinion. 

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/18 8:53 a.m.

Which dealer are you using Jerry?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H0pktBN4JKdVN5TbjBymS5ki7fUPncfPWd4FpWc0xlDH9gmR1XQNwvJsLiaq6bVa