penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/17/18 8:10 a.m.

While initially shopping for a DD, I think I'm gonna just fix what needs fixing on the current EM2 and start a search for a project. Though through-and-through, I'm a Honda guy I've been itching for something RWD and v8 (or big 6). That's where the question starts.

Cross shopping different gens of mustangs, it looks like I can get a New Edge SN-95 GT in decent shape for about 4k BUT this money would also buy an S-197 v6. 

S-197 Pros:

* Newer

* MUCH better chassis design

*Probably "fast enough" for spirited street driving and mountain twisties

S-197 Cons: 

* Not a v8

* Weaker 7.5" rear (not sure how much this really matters since I'm not going for much engine modding beyond I/H/E and tune)

New Edge Pros:

* v8

* Older design so used parts are abundant 

* Really good support from online sources, vendors, and friends

New Edge Cons: 

* Chassis design

* Crappy interior

What does the hive think? It's intended purpose is a fun street car for nice days and a maybe a couple of autocrosses a year

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/17/18 8:34 a.m.

Can you afford a 2011 V6?

That year (2011) the V6 was the new 3.7L which produced 305 hp and returned up to 31mpg hyw.  The V8 that year went to 410hp

In 2010 the V6 was 210 hp and the 4.6L v8 was 315hp.  

Net answer:  if you can up the budget to a 2011 model you get the old V8's hp but the new V6's fuel economy all wrapped in what should be a less expensive (because wrongly perceived as less desirable) V6 .  

I think a 2011+ V6 would make for a great DD and all-arounder for most people.  

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/17/18 8:42 a.m.

I like the new edge/sn cars, but like John said, the 3.7 v6 makes almost 100 more horespower than and old 4.6 2v in an sn95. The 3 link rear axle is a much better design too.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/17/18 8:48 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Unfortunately, the later 2011+ cars are over budget. I'm looking to spend a max of 5k for initial purchase. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/17/18 8:58 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the 4.0 SOHC design. It's got timing chains in the front and the rear. Not sure about Mustangs, but the same engine has a reputation for bad timing chain guides in Rangers and Explorers. Any related work requires pulling the engine, which sucks for a DIYer, and is prohibitively expensive to have done by a pro. Many 4.0's have met their demise when the guides fail (interference engine). If you hear any timing chain noises at all during a test drive I'd walk.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/17/18 9:00 a.m.
penultimeta said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Unfortunately, the later 2011+ cars are over budget. I'm looking to spend a max of 5k for initial purchase. 

Keep saving then. 

It's that big of a jump.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/17/18 11:01 a.m.

If you have the patience to find a motivated seller, and are willing to go high mileage, it is possible to pick up an early S197 GT for that money...Well, at leat convertibles. I haven't been looking for coupes, but I'd be surprised if a 200k+ mile coupe is all that much more valuable than a 200k+ mile convertible.

Maybe it's just me, but for some reason I can't seem bring myself to go for an SN95/NE GT for the same money, no matter how much lower mileage it may be. I've even been passing up (non-terminator) Cobra's in that price range. Some of it has to do with my perception of the S197 GT being that much better of a car, even with some mileage related flaws and kinks to work out, and some of it has to do with the fact that much of what wears out with mileage being things that I largely want to upgrade anyway regardless of mileage.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/17/18 12:17 p.m.

Even a Cobra is secretly a 1982 Fairmont underneath. I still like the cars a lot if you get a v8 in the $1500-2500 range, you're definitely getting a ragged out ugly pile for that money though.  Fun, but be ready for the already ugly interior to fall apart in creative ways and other cool tricks like that. I love the look of the early S197 cars but I really don't want a 3v 4.6 or a V6.  (I day dream of LS swapping one pretty often but that's a different story) 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/17/18 12:38 p.m.

I've only rode shotgun in the SN95 and have driven a couple S197. S197 is so much better than the earlier cars. Maybe you can snag a 4.6 V8 S197 for cheap via a copart auction? 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/17/18 12:58 p.m.

I have a fox chassis car, it takes a lot to make them better.  Starting with a Cobra is best if you go older.  If I were to do this over it would be a S197 GT, is just a better platform to start with.  If you are considering a V6 at all you will be happy with a 3v 4.6.  My buddy’s mildly cammed and tuned 4.6 puts down 330 to the wheels so you can get more out of them just not a lot.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/18 1:33 p.m.

I think the New Edges can be a solid compromise in your price range.  I'd look for one with the chassis stiffening and suspension work done by the previous owner.  Mods on Mustangs only drop the value, so you can take advantage of that to get a head start.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/18 1:49 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Having owned a dozen or so Mustangs the ‘11 and newer are way better.  If I were looking to spend 5k, I think the sweet spot would be a ‘96 to ‘01 Cobra.  It’s a lot of car for 5k.  I’d look for the lowest mileage cleanest one 5k would get me, lower it a bit do the routine maintenance and enjoy.  Whatever you find will likely need a new or reupolstered driver’s seat.  Look beyond the crappy seat upholstery.  

Came in here to say this. The 96-98, 99, and 01 Cobras are at the bottom of a depreciation curve and way under-valued. The DOHC motor paired with the ~3300Lb weight means it's just as fast as the new 400+HP 4000+Lb porkers and they are not very common at all, even at all-Mustang meet-ups. I own a 96 but I would totally swing for a 99 or an 01 if you can find them. The IRS is way better than the 96-98 4-link and the New Edge ugrades to the interior are nice. $5K should net you a clean stock ish one pretty easily.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
11/17/18 7:51 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Can you afford a 2011 V6?

That year (2011) the V6 was the new 3.7L which produced 305 hp and returned up to 31mpg hyw.  The V8 that year went to 410hp

In 2010 the V6 was 210 hp and the 4.6L v8 was 315hp.  

Net answer:  if you can up the budget to a 2011 model you get the old V8's hp but the new V6's fuel economy all wrapped in what should be a less expensive (because wrongly perceived as less desirable) V6 .  

I think a 2011+ V6 would make for a great DD and all-arounder for most people.  

John said it exactly right.  I would never consider any Mustang between 1974 and 2004.  The 2011 V6 cars have sufficient horsepower if you aren't racing.

The only good thing about the 4.0 V6 is they do have good low-end torque.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VGquYSxJRYbwg1xn1PaSsY9f71AraI9mOVgYZIOaxExqDavQgisz29YqIVL4LWEZ