Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/28/21 8:20 a.m.
feature_image

If you’ve been waiting to blow your life savings–plus, perhaps, several million more–on a piece of automotive history, wait no more as the very Porsche 917K driven by David Hobbs and Mike Hailwood in the 1970 running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans is going across the auction block soon.

This Porsche was one of the three 917Ks entered by …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/28/21 12:48 p.m.

In case can't scrounge up the coin, you could always buy a replica like the one offered by Bailey Cars.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
5/28/21 5:49 p.m.

It would be nice if they put a few laps on it at Laguna Seca before the sale......

My friend was rebuilding one of these motors years ago , well he was not personally doing it , he had the expect come to his shop and do it , 

It was an amazing motor with so many small pieces ,  I was just lucky to show up when it was apart  :)

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
5/28/21 6:16 p.m.

In reply to tremm :

Maybe they want something else more and this sale will fund that.

Perhaps they've acquired some more desirable cars and this one is a less-loved example that can be cut loose to make room for more.

Some people have more of a storage problem than a money problem.

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
5/28/21 7:13 p.m.

Estate planning.  If you have stuff and there are family member that might have needs in excess of cash on hand it could drive you to make decisions like this.  That and the looming estate tax bill changes that are on the horizon.

When the cars gain this much in value your favorite uncle is watching.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
McBTOwl3I89UJ7w3KR2jm3i9LOzlQBeIfcnLeUotKbd66N57oz8v3Fr6LKCTlWBk