1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
12/8/10 9:59 a.m.

Sad news for fans of Miatas and Dogs today.

Bill Cardell wrote: TurboDog is Flyin' Miata's mascot, and a friend of Miata owners worldwide. But he's not well. TurboDog is old. Cataracts mar his vision. He no longer hears other than loud sounds which frighten him. His body is riddled with arthritis and he is on three different pain medications. He no longer holds his tail up because it's too painful so it hangs down like a fox or coyote tail. Bill and I have to carry him up and down steps/stairs and he cannot get into or out of a Miata without assistance. He has frequent panic attacks and no longer enjoys riding in a car or truck. TurboDog is old. Bill and I have made the painful, but humane, decision to let Turbo go. It's time for him to leave this world and move to the next one. We believe the next world consists of an endless field where he can run, jump and leap at an ever present supply of Frisbees and tennis balls. And, of course, there is also a constant supply of dog treats, carrots, apples, red bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, cheese and deli meats. He won't be in pain, he'll be able to see and hear and his tail will be held high with the curl we saw for so many years. Turbo is more than just our pet. He has been Flyin' Miata's mascot since he was a pup. We didn't intend for that to happen. We didn't plan it. It just evolved over the years. Turbo has many friends in the Miata community, both human and canine. We know of a number of people, both Miata and non-Miata owners, who were initially not dog-friendly people, but came to like/love Turbo. We've heard many people tell us if they could be guaranteed a dog who was just like Turbo, they would get one. Customers have brought toys and treats to Turbo over the years and we like that. It makes us feel good that he is loved by so many people. Turbo has touched many lives over the years. We have shared his life with you so we feel it is only right to share the end of his life with you too. We want a grand send off for Turbo. We believe he deserves it. What can you do? Send us photos of him and share any stories about him with all of us. We're creating a special Memorial page for Turbo and we would like to post photos and stories encompassing his life. Turbo was born January 9, 1997 and he will leave this world soon. Please share your photos and/or stories of Turbo on Turbo's Face book page. Thank you for your support, not only for Flyin' Miata, but for our beloved TurboDog too. Bill & Teri Cardell TurboDog's parents

Click here to leave a message for Turbodog on his facebook page before his last big trip.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
12/8/10 10:09 a.m.

What? No I'm not crying, I got something in my eye. sniff

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/8/10 10:11 a.m.

I saw that a few days ago on Miata.net. Never met the dog, but it always tears me up whenever I read about one that dies. I thank the Lord every time I think about it that we never had to make the decision to put Shelby down.

It sounds like TurboDog had a pretty good life. Ralph will have a car ride in the miata when I get home in his honor.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/8/10 10:21 a.m.

A dog like that, with that kind of memorial, you know he was special. I never met him, or anyone at FM for that matter, but this man...... I got nothin.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/8/10 10:30 a.m.

Seems like he had a good run, Godspeed.

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/8/10 10:31 a.m.

Dogs are the best. I never met Turbo, but I am glad he touched so many lives. Dogs ask for so little, and give so much in return. Theres not too many souls out there that will say "if you scratch my belly, and let me eat your scraps, I will love you, no matter what else you do, unconditionally, for life". Thats a pretty special relationship, and its really great that he was able to have that with so many people. The world was better for having him in it.

mapper
mapper Reader
12/8/10 10:58 a.m.

Very sad. I still have my Turbo Dog mouse pad somewhere at the house. I need to find it when I get home. We've lost two cats and one dog in the past two years and my oldest is 14 yrs old and showing her age. It hurts every time.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/8/10 11:14 a.m.

Although I never met Turbo, clearly this has been a well loved, and cared for dog. It seems like he has received as much love and comfort as he has given over the years. Although there are few things as painful as letting a good friend go, at least the Flyin Miata folks (especially Bill and Teri Cardell) can sleep well knowing that they gave Turbo a fantastic life that many other dogs can only dream of.

The only thing sadder than losing a dog, is seeing all the animals that live without this kind of care.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/10 11:23 a.m.

Very few people know this, but Turbo Dog actually designed the Flyin' Miata Butterfly Brace.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/8/10 11:24 a.m.

Heard somewhere Turbodog was the Stig too.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
12/8/10 11:25 a.m.

I miss my little dachshund all the time, and she died four years ago. Splendid little dogs, dachshunds.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/10 12:06 p.m.

Better than putting him on life support, because you know someone would add a Megasquirt and then try to up the RPM and then maybe nitrous....

Sad to hear, nice that they made the humane decision. Now follow that up with a rescue from a local shelter for Turbo Dog II.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/8/10 12:18 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Sad to hear, nice that they made the humane decision. Now follow that up with a rescue from a local shelter for Turbo Dog II.

This. Rescue critters are the best critters ever.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
12/8/10 1:23 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Sad to hear, nice that they made the humane decision. Now follow that up with a rescue from a local shelter for Turbo Dog II.
This. Rescue critters are the best critters ever.

x 200 kazillion

car39
car39 Reader
12/8/10 3:58 p.m.

+1 on rescue critters, even if our cat must have been rescued from an Al-quida training camp. Strangest little beast I've ever met, but the wife likes him so I have to put up with him.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/8/10 4:41 p.m.

Last one I got from rescue has thumbs. Seriously.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/8/10 4:56 p.m.

I've had to do that.... damn it's hard.. glad you had all the yrs with him

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/8/10 7:00 p.m.

I will have to pick up a 6 of this in Turbodog's honor.

skierd
skierd Dork
12/8/10 7:11 p.m.

Still using my Turbodog mouse pad, nothing beats a great dog and not much is worse than having to part with them

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
12/8/10 7:29 p.m.

Who will sign my invoice now? Sad to hear. I was hoping to prove that my arm would throw balls longer than he would chase them this summer at the Open House.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/10 9:24 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Turbo passed on today. He really was more like Bill and Teri's son than a pet. I don't think they're planning on bringing another dog into their lives any time soon.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
12/8/10 11:33 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Heard somewhere Turbodog was the Stig too.

Some say he could snatch a frisbee out of mid air...on the moon.

Some say he could lap the nurburgring in 8 minutes, without a car.

Some say he was an excellent dog, and a terrific mascot.

All we know is, he was called TurboDog.

As the owner/father of an adorable pup, I cannot even imagine how it must feel. For those who knew him, you have my condolences.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
12/9/10 12:12 a.m.
Keith wrote: Thanks for the kind words, folks. Turbo passed on today. He really was more like Bill and Teri's son than a pet. I don't think they're planning on bringing another dog into their lives any time soon.

IMO, it's damn near a crime that they don't live as long as we do. Never heard about Turbo before this thead came along, but he sounds like a great dog, and I've been down the same road that Bill & Teri are now on. Wishing everyone well, and peace of mind in the future.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/9/10 6:51 a.m.
Platinum90 wrote: Some say he could snatch a frisbee out of mid air...on the moon. Some say he could lap the nurburgring in 8 minutes, without a car. Some say he was an excellent dog, and a terrific mascot. All we know is, he was called TurboDog.

It would be great to put this in the next issue of GRM!

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
12/9/10 8:01 a.m.

Condolences to the Cardell family and the whole Flyin Miata team. I still miss my lovable golden Teddy, who passed on a couple of years ago after a good 14 year life.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B5NZ5cNpJpvIAN9VQUacQsw5btHvqBzzwHQBkaSVEa5dcIVVXZi1wZwbyHcKnpsi