1 ... 6 7 8 9
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/19 1:18 p.m.

I would argue that the kind of car that has a sub-$1000/yr annual cost of ownership (licensing, insurance, depreciation, maintenance) is not going to be quite the same car as you'll rent from Hertz :) I think my WJ Jeep falls into that cost category, being fully depreciated, cheap to insure and license and not needing too much repair at the moment. But that's a pretty thin budget, and even a new set of tires every 6 years is going to be about 10% of that annual number.

Obviously I am of the "more cars better" mindset as well :) Just saying that if you're not into having a spare car to use once every two months, the rental scenario is possible.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/19/19 1:21 p.m.

If you rent a car for a long trip, you're also saving wear and tear on your own car.  It may be hard to quantify but it should be considered.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/19 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Totally agree. I just couldn't get the rental numbers to work for our use-case. Doesn't matter, as many EV's would work for our use case, if they were cheaper anyways. 

I also advocate for using a small trailer to tow your E36 M3, but my wife thinks that is silly. Whatever.

Keith Tanner
11/19/19 1:33 p.m.

Especially if that E36 M3 includes things like "children". Think of how much more restful the trip would be!

Error404
Error404 Reader
11/19/19 5:03 p.m.

YouTube had an ad running for this and, given I'm not a fan, I am even less of a fan after seeing that "15.5in touchscreen" is a headline selling point. Do they want to be so true to Mustangs that they need to enable drivers to inadvertently plow through crowds of people while futzing with an electronic device?

I have a motorcycle. I ride defensively. I like to watch what cage-drivers do in their cars and see how long it takes their heads to drop to stare at a screen while doing 55 in a 45. Giving these morons another, bigger, prettier screen to play with is borderline criminally irresponsible IMO. Of course, it's just societal training to get people to cheer for giving up control to self-driving cars that let them watch DisneyFlix+Red on their way to wherever GoogleBook is taking them. (I believe Wall-E is prophetic, btw, and not necessarily the environmental destruction part)

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
11/22/19 9:37 a.m.

I had to scroll through to see if this had been posted yet.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/12/20 11:19 a.m.

They're getting close!

The interior has reminds me of a cross between a Tesla and the i3. Certainly get that electric car vibe, lol.

Hoping to drive it this afternoon. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/12/20 4:32 p.m.

Not a Mustang.

Don't care how many running horses they plaster on it.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/12/20 4:43 p.m.
ddavidv said:

Not a Mustang.

Agree!

Just one reason I hate Ford  I used to be a big fan but in 2 decades they have run the company into the ground  

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/12/20 4:57 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:
ddavidv said:

Not a Mustang.

Agree!

Just one reason I hate Ford  I used to be a big fan but in 2 decades they have run the company into the ground  

OK Boomer?

Maybe my memory is hazy but the 2000 Taurus, mustang, and explorer sure didnt seem like flagship modernized pieces of equipment at the time?

Pretty sure the current gen mustang is as potent of a chassis as they have EVER sniffed. Is it the styling cues that you prefer from the early 2000s? Those of Chris Bangle meshed with fox body and a hint of dumpster fire?

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/20 5:03 p.m.

I am not sure why they are putting the Mustang name on this.  Just the "Mach E" would have worked well.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
11/12/20 5:51 p.m.

Yeah, branding it as a Mustang is a pretty polarizing move.  I think it was an attempt to "make it cool" to compete with Tesla coolness.  I think the idea mostly fell flat.  But, I do think it was smart to bring an SUV ish EV product to market vs a sedan or economy car.  If the range is competitive and the pricing undercuts Telsa buy a few grand, and they aren't losing money on every one, I think they'll do well with it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/20 5:58 p.m.

They had so many other cool names they could have used; Falcon, Galaxie, Fairlane, Thunderbird, ad nauseam.

Or what about re-launching Mercury as an all-electric brand...

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
11/12/20 5:59 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

I am not sure why they are putting the Mustang name on this.  Just the "Mach E" would have worked well.

I wish they would've brought back the "Lightning" name for this.  Seems like a missed opportunity...unless there's an electric F-150 muscle truck waiting in the wings?

Keith Tanner
11/12/20 6:21 p.m.

I don't care what they call it. But I have no emotional investment in the Mustang name either. 

Saron81 said:

The interior has reminds me of a cross between a Tesla and the i3. Certainly get that electric car vibe, lol.

Hoping to drive it this afternoon. 

Is that a real knob embedded in the middle of the screen?

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/20 6:36 p.m.

No one's going to cross-shop it with a real Mustang, so to me the name doesn't matter much. I'm interested to see driving impressions and how it's different from the other EVs.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/20 6:38 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

"Mustang" has become a brand.  Not just a car, but an entire brand.

At least that's what they are trying to tell people- since it's the only car left in the Ford lineup.  It's still around because it makes a lot of money.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/12/20 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

It's more of what we lost and poor quality.

No cars..... focus/fiesta ST gone

No sedans all suvs

Mustang gets more power but more weight as well

etc.

Have you seen the stock price?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
11/12/20 6:48 p.m.
rustybugkiller said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

It's more of what we lost and poor quality.

No cars..... focus/fiesta ST gone

No sedans all suvs

Mustang gets more power but more weight as well

etc.

Have you seen the stock price?

I guess I just dont remember any cars ford made 20 years ago I would rather have over ones that they make today. Now BMW's, for sure, but to think ford is going backwards seems silly considering they have routinely made crap cars and seem to be clawing out of that fairly recently.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/20 6:52 p.m.

I honestly can't imagine any era of Ford with a better line up than their current lineup. 

yupididit
11/12/20 6:53 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

All vehicles are getting more power and weight lol

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/12/20 9:31 p.m.
yupididit said:

I honestly can't imagine any era of Ford with a better line up than their current lineup. 

You weren't around in the late 60s then...

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
11/12/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

They don't make cars ( except the stang) and I despise SUVs

yupididit
11/12/20 9:48 p.m.
maj75 (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

You weren't around in the late 60s then...

I'm certainly glad I was not around in the 60's whew! 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/13/20 6:25 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:
rustybugkiller said:
ddavidv said:

Not a Mustang.

Agree!

OK Boomer?

Maybe my memory is hazy but the 2000 Taurus, mustang, and explorer sure didnt seem like flagship modernized pieces of equipment at the time?

Pretty sure the current gen mustang is as potent of a chassis as they have EVER sniffed. Is it the styling cues that you prefer from the early 2000s? Those of Chris Bangle meshed with fox body and a hint of dumpster fire?

Ok Snowflake, I'll type slow so you can maybe understand.

The Mustang has always been a two door sporty car. It's a brand with a huge and loyal following and is pretty much Ford's flagship much like the Corvette is to GM fans. How do you think Corvette guys would react to a four door SUV bearing the Corvette name?

Ford is taking their most recognized brand and diminishing it in a failed attempt to 'excite' buyers about the Mach E. I have nothing against the Mach E other than the horribly bad decision to call it a Mustang. It has no relationship historically or technically with Mustangs past or present. But FoMoCo is just another corporation with their heads up the ass of the marketing department.

Calling the Mach E a Mustang is about as brilliant as calling a Cavalier a Cadillac Cimarron.

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YreFfR7KDhmn8j4gyFDd3IoAMt0sSSwg3jrS5KqkpXjtzezc5BHtwEiiZNM73SNj