1 ... 7 8 9
collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/13/20 7:01 a.m.

I'm just upset they missed the obvious opportunity to call it the Mustang II. Same with the Bronco Sport... coulda been a Bronco II.

Honestly, I don't care at all what it is called. I fully plan on trying to convince my wife that we need one in our garage.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
11/13/20 7:02 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

The same argument about a "it was always a 2 door sports car with a huge and loyal following" was made about Porsche when they introduced the Cayenne, and that did nothing to hurt the 911's reputation. I agree that hard core Mustang fans will be pissed, but as a casual Mustang fan, I have no problem with it.

One area where the Mach-E could actually help the Mustang's reputation is that many people assume the Mustang is low tech and unsophisticated and could never compete with the high tech German sports cars. If people start seeing electric "Mustangs" all over the place, the regular Mustang might start attracting people who would have otherwise shopped 3 series (or is it 4 series now) BMWs.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
11/13/20 9:51 a.m.
sevenracer said:

Yeah, branding it as a Mustang is a pretty polarizing move.  I think it was an attempt to "make it cool" to compete with Tesla coolness.  I think the idea mostly fell flat.  But, I do think it was smart to bring an SUV ish EV product to market vs a sedan or economy car.  If the range is competitive and the pricing undercuts Telsa buy a few grand, and they aren't losing money on every one, I think they'll do well with it.

Don't discount the dealer network advantage either. I can't imagine owning a Tesla in the middle of Oklahoma, but having this serviced wouldn't be a problem. This may really open up this type of electric car to middle America. 

Is that a real knob embedded in the middle of the screen? 

It is. Never seen that before either.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 9:53 a.m.

Can we just acknowledge that some people feel very strongly about the name applied to this vehicle and others don't care? Nobody's going to change their mind, and it's pretty much guaranteed that nobody is getting anything out of the discussion.

Instead, let's talk about the Mach E itself. It's the first real attempt at a mass market EV by one of the big manufacturers, I think. The Bolt was always limited by the fact that it's a form factor that just isn't that popular in the US, and the upcoming line of GM EVs has not yet made it past the brochure stage at this point.

It's a pretty darn important car (I am using "car" because it's shorter and friendlier than "vehicle", I am not assuming its self-assigned packaging determination) to the North American fleet overall. Tesla went way far in one direction with the 3 and Y, this is what it looks like when the result is aimed a slightly more traditional car buying public. It's also going to be sold and serviced by dealers and it's going to have to use chargers that are a mix of networks when it's away from home. Tesla changed the image of an EV from a dorky little slow car to a premium performance vehicle, and this has the chance to make them just plain cars.

And seriously, I can't get over the physical knob embedded in the middle of the screen. That's a really interesting interface choice, especially because it requires a custom screen. It looks like it might be for the audio system?

I'm less excited about the "gauge cluster" screen, it doesn't look like it's well integrated into the dash overall. Also, looking at all the buttons and controls on the wheel and stalks you can really see a difference in interface design decisions between Ford and Tesla if only because of the icons.

Keith Tanner
11/13/20 9:55 a.m.
Saron81 said:
sevenracer said:

Yeah, branding it as a Mustang is a pretty polarizing move.  I think it was an attempt to "make it cool" to compete with Tesla coolness.  I think the idea mostly fell flat.  But, I do think it was smart to bring an SUV ish EV product to market vs a sedan or economy car.  If the range is competitive and the pricing undercuts Telsa buy a few grand, and they aren't losing money on every one, I think they'll do well with it.

Don't discount the dealer network advantage either. I can't imagine owning a Tesla in the middle of Oklahoma, but having this serviced wouldn't be a problem. This may really open up this type of electric car to middle America. 

For me, it's easier to get service on a Tesla than a BMW/Mazda/Audi - well, anything other than the big 3, Toyota or Honda. But if you like being able to see a big building with the manufacturer's name on it, Ford definitely has an advantage over Tesla here. I suspect that's a concern for a large part of the market.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/20 10:37 a.m.
Olemiss540 said:
rustybugkiller said:
ddavidv said:

Not a Mustang.

Don't care how many running horses they plaster on it.

Agree!

Just one reason I hate Ford  I used to be a big fan but in 2 decades they have run the company into the ground  

OK Boomer?

Maybe my memory is hazy but the 2000 Taurus, mustang, and explorer sure didnt seem like flagship modernized pieces of equipment at the time?

Pretty sure the current gen mustang is as potent of a chassis as they have EVER sniffed. Is it the styling cues that you prefer from the early 2000s? Those of Chris Bangle meshed with fox body and a hint of dumpster fire?

He is just pissed they killed the Aerostar. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/13/20 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, I'm pissed they killed the Aerostar too. Who doesn't like boxy RWD vans? cheeky

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/20 10:55 a.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

Hey, I'm pissed they killed the Aerostar too. Who doesn't like boxy RWD vans? cheeky

berkeley! The Aerostar was rwd??? Now I am pissed too!

I remember my parents rented one in 1990 and it had two separate buttons for the windows ... a regular speed one and a super fast one. Pretty sure they were red/blue. WTF was that all about?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/20 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Maybe it's a motion sensing noob. My buddy's new m5 has one and you can twirl your finger counter or clockwise and it'll turn the valumn up and down. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 11:50 a.m.
Doc Brown said:

nope

X2

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/20 11:52 a.m.

From memory when I was there it's a real knob as people don't like buttons for volume.  I must admit one of the things that annoyed me most about the Model 3 was forcing you to look away to operate a touch screen for everything.  But Tesla are really trying to force the price down down down in every way possible.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/13/20 11:53 a.m.

I saw a red one on I96 speedway last week, while pulling my boat home.   Shortly after that a Pontiac Solstice Coupe, now those are cool, I want one.

dean1484
11/13/20 12:01 p.m.

They are doing to the Mustang what Mitsubishi did to the Eclipse

dean1484
11/13/20 12:03 p.m.

Oh wait Ford said they were only going to make mustangs and trucks.  So now every car/suv/cuv/ev will be named mustang and they can then say that the mustang is the best selling car.  Smart marketing planning for the future on there part.  

Keith Tanner
11/13/20 12:10 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

From memory when I was there it's a real knob as people don't like buttons for volume.  I must admit one of the things that annoyed me most about the Model 3 was forcing you to look away to operate a touch screen for everything.  But Tesla are really trying to force the price down down down in every way possible.

Model 3s do have eight functions on the steering wheel - two knobs (thumbwheels?), two buttons and four rockers. Volume is the left side thumbwheel. Nudge right for >>, nudge left for <<, press for mute/stop. No need to look away. The Ford has five buttons on the right side of the wheel that perform the same functions. So the primary interaction with the audio system is almost identical.

The right side control on the Tesla wheel is cruise - speed up/down and minimum following distance. Cruise on/off is done with a stalk. So the overall interaction is the same. The big difference is that the Ford uses buttons instead of a multi-function piece and it has icons. When you first jump in each, it'll look like the Tesla has fewer hardware controls but in reality it's not much different. Makes it a little less intuitive out of the box though, and it's this sort of change that makes the Ford more likely to appeal to someone who's not necessarily looking for something weird.

FYI. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/20 10:45 p.m.
ddavidv said:

FoMoCo is just another corporation with their heads up the ass of the marketing department.

Ah, sort if like how the Lincoln "Mark 10" became the "Em Kay Ex"  because somebody in marketing had no clue that the X was a roman numberal for 10?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/14/20 7:31 a.m.
dean1484 said:

They are doing to the Mustang what Mitsubishi did to the Eclipse

Making it horrifically unreliable? laugh

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGox1oVYVydX9f6mEXw1JTNYBFXrEqmqW6YpJeUnxzQyNJQtNUQgx372wBnu8jDz