1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/18 10:32 p.m.

I saw an ad for this tire and I've never heard of it before. It's a 200TW max performance summer tire and comes in some interesting sizes. Anybody know anything about these?

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
7/26/18 6:09 a.m.
Javelin said:

I saw an ad for this tire and I've never heard of it before. It's a 200TW max performance summer tire and comes in some interesting sizes. Anybody know anything about these?

Someone I know is sponsored by them. Surprisingly for the bottom dollar pricing, they're decent (yes, I know they are sponsored, but even in video footage you can tell they aren't horrible). They're in the same class as Federal 595-RSRRs (tires that I run on my car cause I'm only doing DE and haven't gone racing yet).

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/26/18 7:23 a.m.

I'd be kinda interested in trying them and comparing them for the price but they have neither my BMW's size or the Planet Express's size so I guess that's not happening. Oh well

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
7/26/18 9:39 a.m.
buzzboy said:

I'd be kinda interested in trying them and comparing them for the price but they have neither my BMW's size or the Planet Express's size so I guess that's not happening. Oh well

Not sure which size you're looking for, but they run wide. 195s run like 205s for example.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
7/26/18 12:49 p.m.

This is extremely relevant to my interests. Especially if they hold up to track days.

I've used their PHI street tires and came away very impressed with its behavior and value.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/26/18 4:39 p.m.

Seems like very limited sizes right now. 

Javelin
7/27/18 1:41 a.m.

Talked to my trusted tire guys, they visibly flinched! They used to be an Accelera dealer and had multiple delaminations resulting is wrecked vehicles. They'll slap nearly anything on and won't touch this brand with a 10 foot pole. I think I have been sufficiently scared off.

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
7/27/18 5:35 a.m.
Javelin said:

Talked to my trusted tire guys, they visibly flinched! They used to be an Accelera dealer and had multiple delaminations resulting is wrecked vehicles. They'll slap nearly anything on and won't touch this brand with a 10 foot pole. I think I have been sufficiently scared off.

Damn. How long ago were these reports? Guess I'll go warn my brother, he just got them.

Javelin
7/27/18 8:05 a.m.

In reply to RyanGreener :

Last year, and just Accelera's regular car and truck tires, but it still gave me pause. 

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
7/27/18 8:09 a.m.
Javelin said:

In reply to RyanGreener :

Last year, and just Accelera's regular car and truck tires, but it still gave me pause. 

Well, I know two people who track their cars (one does it almost every other week, the other infrequently) on these tires so time will tell.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/27/18 11:23 p.m.

As a mechanic I've noticed that someone who is sufficiently paranoid and loaded with context of what failure sounds/smells/feels like can drive a deathtrap fairly safely because they're paying attention and know what to look for. I suspect it is the same with a lot of racers and I can easily imagine a lot of racers have gone from 120mph to pit lane over the same symptom that some drivers would ignore until they fly off a public road at 47mph and die. 

Unrelated note: I just bought some Wanli tires for my Cayenne. Will report back if i die. cheeky

RyanGreener
RyanGreener New Reader
7/28/18 5:10 a.m.
Vigo said:

As a mechanic I've noticed that someone who is sufficiently paranoid and loaded with context of what failure sounds/smells/feels like can drive a deathtrap fairly safely because they're paying attention and know what to look for. I suspect it is the same with a lot of racers and I can easily imagine a lot of racers have gone from 120mph to pit lane over the same symptom that some drivers would ignore until they fly off a public road at 47mph and die. 

Unrelated note: I just bought some Wanli tires for my Cayenne. Will report back if i die. cheeky

This is true. 

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/1/23 8:41 a.m.

well I just took the plunge and bought a set of accelera 651 sport 200 tw tires for Mazikene (my troublesome legacy wagon). With luck we will get to do a track day or two in it this year with those tires. If I die, Mazikene will be set on fire and used for a weeny roast by my wife and 100 or more of her best friends. Everyone is invited. Otherwise I will continue terrorizing the roads around my home and hopefully doing more track days with my hopelessly underpowered car.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/3/23 10:51 a.m.
livinon2wheels said:

well I just took the plunge and bought a set of accelera 651 sport 200 tw tires for Mazikene (my troublesome legacy wagon). With luck we will get to do a track day or two in it this year with those tires. If I die, Mazikene will be set on fire and used for a weeny roast by my wife and 100 or more of her best friends. Everyone is invited. Otherwise I will continue terrorizing the roads around my home and hopefully doing more track days with my hopelessly underpowered car.

We ran them at VIR in Champ Car. They did perfectly fine over 12 hours with a less than stellar alignment. With a proper alignment they are an easy button for cheap/expendable track tires. They lasted longer than a set of Azenis 615K+ in a wider size. Tire Streets also has discounts on them if you can find a code. Makes them super cheap - like $350 shipped for a set of 225/45R15's that i picked up for my Fiesta as a burner set. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/3/23 10:57 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

That's certainly cheap. Almost frighteningly so. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/4/23 8:46 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

That's certainly cheap. Almost frighteningly so. 

They held up to severe abuse without a single issue. 6 hours on the front of our camber/caster limited Elantra. The wear pattern was good, flat across the face without any sidewall scuffing or damage. The rears are still on the car from that race and will be used this weekend for trackcross at Summit Point.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
2/20/23 10:49 a.m.

16" tires are increasingly difficult to find, my car is a 2006 MINI JCW running 16x7 Rota RB's with 205/50

Previous owner had installed Conti Extreme Contact DWS (the allweather kind) and I rode them for a while but didn't like them very much, changed to BFG SportComp-2 and liked those very much, got around 30k out of them, decided to replace with the same but had helluva time finding a set since they had officially been discontinued...

...so now am at the point soon and looking at my options - seriously considering Accelera 651 Sports, how are they for street driven daily use? Would be sketch in the wet? 

Otherwise, was happy to find that Coker Tire apparently has taken up the SportComp although at a higher price point than previously, but those tires have served me very well and have no real complaints...

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/bfg-g-force-sport-comp-2-205-50zr16-87w.html

...so I know I'd be happy with them despite archaic outdated or whatever, but intensely curious about how the Accelera would perform in my application, so should I play it safe and go back with something I know I like, or take the plunge and try out the 651's?

dps214
dps214 Dork
2/20/23 11:15 a.m.

Was it the old dws that were on the car or the newer dws06? The new new dws06+ is very good and  cheaper than those sport comp 2s. As much as I'm not a fan of the Firestone Indy 500s I still found them better than the sc2 and they're also a few bucks cheaper. Even good 200TWs aren't great as dedicated street tires, I can't imagine the super cheap ones are any good at it.

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
2/20/23 1:35 p.m.
dps214 said:

Was it the old dws that were on the car or the newer dws06? The new new dws06+ is very good and  cheaper than those sport comp 2s. As much as I'm not a fan of the Firestone Indy 500s I still found them better than the sc2 and they're also a few bucks cheaper. Even good 200TWs aren't great as dedicated street tires, I can't imagine the super cheap ones are any good at it.

They were the old DWS, and I'd tend to agree with the folks who cite soft sidewalls, plus for me they just didn't offer much grip.

The BFG SportComp-2's were much much better for me.

From what I've read, the Acceleras aren't "true" 200TW so that also piqued my interest in that they may be somewhat hard-wearing and last a good bit for street use while offering better grip than a 340TW?

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
2/20/23 2:37 p.m.

I googled Accelera, and this is what I found -

Who are Accelera tires made by?

Accelera is an affordable, high-performance and conventional tire brand produced by Indonesian tire manufacturer Eptyres. Made with high quality and environmentally friendly materials, Accelera tires are used by drivers across the world who want both safety and elegance out of their tires.

Sounds like if you buy a set, you will get the added bonus of elegance. Nice!

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
11/24/23 9:59 a.m.

Well, could not resist them at this price and will try to remember to post up my thoughts on them in a few months as there isn't much forum chatter on these that I could find, however what I did find on the forums was quite positive, so I'm curious to see how they fare.

$335 all in shipped, hopefully they will not kill me LOL

No motorsporting, only daily driving use, was sort of forced into narrow selection band due to my stubbornness of staying with 16" wheels, was majorly bummed when BFG discontinued the Sport Comp 2 because it was perfect for my usage and although the Firestone Indy 500 is very close to the same spec I just don't really care for them and started considering 200tw tires.

Was hyper excited to see the new Advan AD09 available in my size at the Tire Rack but seems they sold down pretty quick and I was hesitant to spend on them having no idea how I'd find them for daily use as it would be an expensive lesson to learn.

I do wonder though what stock amount Tire Rack might have had in the 205/50/16 size, and also wonder if they'll be continually available or hard-to-get dependent on seasonal production or whatever.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
11/24/23 10:58 a.m.

Yes, please let us know how they work for you. 

Side note, what is the story with the AD09? Is it supposed to be on par with the A052 or whatever the current hot sauce Yok is called. Or is it something more streetable?

fatallightning
fatallightning HalfDork
11/24/23 12:11 p.m.

More streetable I believe, replacement for the AD08/AD08RS we never got. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/24/23 12:17 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Side note, what is the story with the AD09? Is it supposed to be on par with the A052 or whatever the current hot sauce Yok is called. Or is it something more streetable?

We have that very test in the wings. :)

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/24/23 7:03 p.m.
CyberEric said:

There's an AD09 vs V730 vs Nexen Sport R "Tweener 200" test story already in the can.  Should be up soon. 

TL;DR AD09 is a really damned good tire for sporty daily use, and will last a good long time on track with consistent performance.  I told Wallens he should get a set for his BMW.  Outstanding driving characteristics.

Its the latest in the "AD" line...AD07, AD08R, AD09.  As opposed to the track-focused "A0" line...A032, A048, A052.  Think more endurance/consistency rather than "one lap wonder".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ho0vQ6kpDuNjn3jqyxY61KAeelSXc1coah0oUwK0o133c8ZQmRCWpA9AnhwNbfAI