1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/3/21 10:25 a.m.
feature_image

Acura has axed the NSX for 2022, but not without a proper send-off in the form of the limited-edition Type S.

Only 350 units will be made worldwide (300 for the U.S.), and while details are light at the moment, we do know that the 2022 Type S version offers “more power, quicker acceleration, sharper handling and a more emotional driving experience.” …

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/3/21 12:05 p.m.

Acura just announced that NSX Type S number 001 of 350 will be auctioned off during Monterey Car Week at Mecum's Monterey Auction on August 14.

All proceeds from the sale will "benefit charity, including an innovative STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art and math) education program for underserved youth nationwide in partnership with the Center of Science and Industry (COSI)."

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 Reader
8/3/21 1:43 p.m.

Ummm....can they even sell 350 of them?

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
8/3/21 2:51 p.m.

In reply to ztnedman1 :

Exactly. It's a car no one wanted. The first nsx was revolutionary. The second nsx was another ho-hum attempt by Honda Corp. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/3/21 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Countingcrowbars :

Plus, didn't we have to wait like 15 years for it?  And it was here for what, 3 years?

dps214
dps214 Dork
8/3/21 5:34 p.m.

Right, it might have been revolutionary if they had gotten it out on the original timeline and configuration. But by the time it finally made it to market there were like five other choices for "everyday supercar" and the nsx was just a $200k car with a Honda badge and a tlx interior.

steronz
steronz Reader
8/3/21 7:34 p.m.

Nobody wanted them new but their value in the used market seems strong.  4 years on and they're selling at 90% of what they cost new.

I had hoped this would be one of those "pennies on the dollar" supercars you could buy when it's 20 years old, but now I doubt that will be the case.

Countingcrowbars
8/3/21 7:56 p.m.

In reply to steronz :

Not if the first nsx is any clue to future markets. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/3/21 8:29 p.m.
Countingcrowbars said:

The second nsx was another ho-hum attempt by Honda Corp. 

Tell me you've never driven a new NSX without telling me you've never driven a new NSX.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
8/3/21 8:34 p.m.

With the NSX I think a lot of prospective buyers thought the hybrid drive was an additional $50K bill for a car they wanted without it. At the $500K level that perception isn't there.

Countingcrowbars
8/3/21 9:25 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Rented. Drove. Handed back the keys. Not interested. How's that for a Tl;DR?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/3/21 11:02 p.m.
Countingcrowbars said:

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Rented. Drove. Handed back the keys. Not interested. How's that for a Tl;DR?

Man that's a bummer because I really dug it. To the point where I've been surprised for the last four years that it never really caught on. It was one of the first cars I ever drove on track where I really felt like the electronic aids improved the experience rather than just tried to prevent disaster. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
8/4/21 4:21 a.m.

I don't exactly live in a supercar hotspot, but I do occasionally see 6 figure stuff with exotic nameplates. I've seen exactly 1 of these in the real world, and it's owned by a pro race driver with Honda sponsorship.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 6:36 a.m.

I think the problem is that in 1991 the original NSX was better than a 348 or 911 for significantly less money. Now 30 years later it's price is head to head with an entry level McClaren, 911 turbo etc. and those types of cars are far better at being cars than entry level super cars of 30 years ago. 

The launch at the NAIAS in Detroit didn't help either. Honda thought they were going to steal the supercar news at the show then Ford stunned the world by unveiling the new GT which was pretty revolutionary for its sector by being designed as a race car as well from the outset. 

8/4/21 6:37 a.m.

I should add that's it a pity it hasn't succeeded as I really like the new NSX. Well I like it from afar as I've never been in one. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/21 6:46 a.m.
ztnedman1 said:

I was kinda wondering that.  I didn't even know that Acura was making an NSX.

It also feels weird that 83% of production of the limited edition model is allocated for the US.  Is the US that big of a market for the NSX?

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/21 7:43 a.m.

I didn't have the income yet to get in a 1st gen NSX when they were at the bottom of the depreciation curve, but I'm thinking I'll be waiting a few more years and get in on one of these.

It's story is pretty much the same as the fist gen cars: Honda releases car, reviewers all think it's the bee's knees, but everyone just goes "HOW much for a Honda?" and " I can get X (corvette, Supra, Mustang, Camaro for the 1st gen, Corvette, McLaren, GTR, 911 for the 2nd gen) for cheaper/the same money and it'll blow the doors off of it!"

Then 20 years later is all "OMG it's the GREATEST CAR EVAR!!!!1!!"

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/4/21 7:58 a.m.
ztnedman1 said:

On the bright side, if you want one of these but can't swing it right now, you'll have until like 2027 to scoop up one still sitting on lots unsold.

Opti
Opti Dork
8/4/21 8:01 a.m.

Disclaimer: I have never driven one.

I was initially negative about the NSX. Now i look at it like the LFA. When the LFA came out the whole conversation was about how expensive it was and the performance wasnt there when compared to its price peers. When that was taken out of the equation it and the LFA stood alone most people who drove it loved it.

I saw the same thing with the NSX. In the beginning it was about how they took so long performance metrics had moved on and it was behind, which is partly true, and shown by honda talking about the 458 when it was launched but everyone had moved on the the 488, but I think they built essentially the same car they did in 91. It is more expensive than the best vette, cheaper than the porsche (although the delta isnt as large as it was) and considerably cheaper than the mid engine v8 ferrari, and it happens to play in generally the same ball park as them. It wasnt the best at everything in 91, but it was pretty good at most things. In 2016 a total package car is much more common, so the NSX  isnt as much a revolutionary as it once was, but with all the first hand information Ive read most people end up really enjoying it, coming away saying, not only is it a good supercar, its all a good car. 

I think history will remember this NSX favorably, as these types of cars get a few years older they are shopped less on having the newest greatest thing or the most performance per dollar and thats where these will shine. Less about how this compares to everything else and more about how good is it by itself, and i think its pretty good.

8/4/21 8:09 a.m.

In reply to BA5 :

Yup, badge snobbery is a real issue, especially in this sector.  I do think the halo effect of the original could have gone a long way towards easing that for this one if it had been priced at 70-80% of its competition like the original.  The trouble is this one is priced the same as an entry level McLaren which is every bit as usable as the NSX as a daily driver right up until the warranty runs out.

That will probably be the saving grace for the NSX in 10-15 years.  The NSX will most likely still be purring along with little more than oil changes, brake pads and tires.  I don't even want to think about running a 15 year old McLaren, and I am literally a life long McLaren fan as my dad worked for Bruce in the early mid 60's when the race team was first formed.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/21 8:42 a.m.

I've driven these on track and they're amazing cars.  As JG indicated the way that the electronics integrate the three electric motors and the IC engine is amazing and it's cool to hear the front electric motors working along with the V6.  These are the cars that made me think that while an all electric won't sound like an IC powered car it'll still make interesting noises that someday will be associated with performance.

To me the issue is that they don't elicit the kind of gut emotional response that say a GT3 or a 458 does.  The geek in me recognizes and even enjoys the sensation of the electronics making delicate corrections to the output of the four power systems as a I drift the car to track out on corner exit but it doesn't make the hair on the back of my neck stand up when it's at full song like a 458, provide the precise, race car like feed of a GT3 or build speed in the seemingly unlimited way that a McLaren 720S does. 

At the end of the day it's just a Honda. A really, really great Honda but a Honda none the less and it seems that's not what supercar buyers want.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/4/21 9:17 a.m.
NickD said:
ztnedman1 said:

On the bright side, if you want one of these but can't swing it right now, you'll have until like 2027 to scoop up one still sitting on lots unsold.

Except that they will still have "Market Adjustment +$25,000" on the dealer sticker that the sales manager will absolutely refuse to discuss.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
8/4/21 9:21 a.m.
Countingcrowbars said:

In reply to ztnedman1 :

another ho-hum attempt by Honda Corp. 

That strategy's been working for the Motorcycle division for years.

I honestly didn't even know there was a modern NSX

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/21 9:38 a.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:
ztnedman1 said:

Except that they will still have "Market Adjustment +$25,000" on the dealer sticker that the sales manager will absolutely refuse to discuss.

Aww.... I was going to find the link for the dealership in central Ohio with a brand new 2017 Focus RS listed at $70k, but they either sold the car or delisted it.

It was for sale up to late last year.  Amazing that nobody bought it at that price.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/4/21 11:11 a.m.

For whatever reason the second gen NSX just  didn't turn my crank.

I sure lusted after the original one though and kept looking for a used one in an acceptable price range. Always took some solace from my daily driver (Fiero turbo) being a tad faster but then a turbo kit for the NSX came out!  Would still like to add one to the fleet.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wor9wKo0NXR7u9zXYxGhFbk2JBXpOpSrOYSQcvj51EwXA4AKFQHKNTc9YJdDD8gm