1 2 3 ... 7
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/11/21 7:52 p.m.
feature_image

After a few months of teasing, Acura has released photos of the upcoming Integra. So, we like or not?

Acura also released the following info:

• Integra Prototype heralds the return of an iconic nameplate to the Acura lineup
  • 2023 Integra will be a premium sport compact with a coupe-like roofline and versatile five-door liftback design
  • First factory-turbocharged Integra takes power …

Read the rest of the story

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/21 8:10 p.m.

I guess it is just a new ILX. I was hoping for something more distinctive. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
11/11/21 8:17 p.m.
GTwannaB said:

Yeah. It's like they had to write Integra on it to make it seem interesting. 

Hopefully it's fun to drive and doesn't have issues like the other 1.5 turbo Honda mills.

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
11/11/21 8:23 p.m.

the beauty of the original DC-chassis cars notwithstanding, compared to the recent concept (which was gorgeous) this looks like such a dull, bloated letdown.   let's hope the performance is at least top shelf.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/11/21 8:26 p.m.

I don't know. Like the new Civic, it could be a lot worse.

I think we've had quite enough of 'distinctive' in the last decade.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/21 8:30 p.m.

The world needs more 5 door liftbacks, so I'm not complaining. I will, however, be critical, the profile behind the B pillar is incredibly disjointed. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/21 8:31 p.m.
CyberEric said:
GTwannaB said:

Yeah. It's like they had to write Integra on it to make it seem interesting. 

Hopefully it's fun to drive and doesn't have issues like the other 1.5 turbo Honda mills.

The Integra lost a lot of distinctiveness when they renamed it the TLA, or RSX, or whatever.  Going back to the Integra name was something they should have done about 15-16 years ago.

What problems are people seeing with the 1.5 mill?  The only things I am aware of are a near 100% failure rate of the A/C compressor on 2017 models (seems to only be 2017, so far) and they break important parts of the turbo in any frontal collision hard enough to bend the upper core support, which is most of them.   I'm speaking here of people who just drive their Civics or CR-Vs or Accords as commutohaulers, not people who go "Ooh, turbo, how much can I crank up the boost?"

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/11/21 8:37 p.m.

Nope.  No more an Integra than an Eclipse or  a Mustang E is what their name suggests.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/11/21 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I disagree. This is at least a car, not a weird fat CUV thing.

kazoospec
kazoospec PowerDork
11/11/21 8:44 p.m.

I'm reading in an "answer only in memes" rule, so here goes:

Honda/Acura

25+ Best Are You Not Entertained Memes | Gif Memes, Meme Memes, Gladiator  Memes

Me:

Not Impressed McKayla - REALLY? WHAT ELSE YOU GOT?

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/11/21 8:55 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Nope.  No more an Integra than an Eclipse or  a Mustang E is what their name suggests.

It's a nicer civic, which is what the original integra was.

Bright side, the ILX was so awful this pretty much has to be at least a slight improvement.

Error404
Error404 Reader
11/11/21 8:57 p.m.

The rear reminds me, in the loosest of ways, of a 4-day Porsche type thing. Like someone wanted to evoke hints of a Panamera or Toucan-S-Turbo-SVT-XxTreme. Maybe it's the pinchiness of the bumper area.

The front half doesn't strike me strongly except that I really don't like the high, forward roof peak. Just a me thing, I saw it on the Veloster and it's bothered me since. The face looks very not bad, even if the headlights are kinda stupid.

Overall, it seems like a try for a practical upmarket 4-day that looks a little more grown-up (or whatevs) than a GTI but you can still hoon around on the way back from the PTA meeting. For the money, I'd be more interested in the 400Z with body-matching C pillars

Edit: In general, the rear looks very "Euro" in a general way. I'm not a fan.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/21 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Error404 :

The awkward rear is very Mercedes CLA to me. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/21 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Serious fuel dilution issues I know of as well. To the point that raw fuel would add 1-1.5qts to the sump in a few weeks of short trips. We are talking a lot of fuel. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
11/11/21 9:13 p.m.

I was hoping the front would look more like an old Integra rather than a 2009 TL.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/21 9:34 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, I've heard about the dilution issue on the 1.5 in the CRV. No clue about other models, years, etc. Really looked like it was headed for a class action lawsuit unless it could be fixed with an ECU flash.

I want to like it but it just feels like they're leaning on their past glory. I know it has to resemble the civic but jeez...

lnlds
lnlds Reader
11/11/21 9:38 p.m.

I think it'll be a hit for the segment. An entry-level practical sporty-ish fwd honda hatch with a LSD without too much boy-racer baggage at 30k? Assuming there's a type-s model this is perfectly adequate for the base integra.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/21 9:42 p.m.

Also, the paint! Yeah, we know they're making it at the Maryville plant in Ohio, but did they really have to use the same color as the now discontinued NSX? Like, did they just have a bunch of it sitting out back and were like, "E36 M3 guys, we have to get rid of this or our margins are gonna suck next year!"

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/21 10:08 p.m.

I don't hate it and am still interested in it, I want a nicer Civic hatch with the turbo motor and this is that, but I want to see it in something other than yellow. I don't think that color is doing it any favors, and think it will present better in like a more subdued blue or green metallic.

15f80
15f80 New Reader
11/11/21 10:12 p.m.

Looks like I just need to swap a 2.2 liter block into my 1994 Teg and turbo it to kick the new model's rear end... 2022 challenge here I come! Any recommendation on how big the wing needs to be, or a paint code for screaming yellow? Dupli-Color AFM0400 was the first result on teh googs.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/11/21 10:41 p.m.

It's fine.

People are going to whine if it doesn't look exactly like a DC2.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/21 10:47 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

The people complaining that it's just a dressed up Civic are looking through some SERIOUSLY rose-colored glasses.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/21 11:26 p.m.

Yeah, they kinda underwhelmed on the styling. Not unattractive, just generic. But I don't generally buy cars for their looks, so let's see everything else about it, then turn loose the wolves/release the doves.

dps214
dps214 Dork
11/11/21 11:31 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to j_tso :

The people complaining that it's just a dressed up Civic are looking through some SERIOUSLY rose-colored glasses.

It's underwhelming for how much hype it was given, but it's exactly what it should be and what everyone expected it to be. Seems like people forget that the original integra had pedestrian models, not just the type r. Fwiw at least from the front I think it looks better than the civic, but that's still a pretty low bar.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/11/21 11:35 p.m.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k5xhzJT7jhk071dlSMNUYafoHglB2UmbaOCSzIgUKOksyee2X3bA1XhbJEFzIOl9