1 2 3 4 ... 7
Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
11/11/21 11:48 p.m.

In reply to red_stapler :

It seems like every manufacturer just has an RNG that tells them when to make weird cars. Baja, Crosstour, and, wouldn't you know it? It landed on the magic number right when they were gonna release the Integra. 

daeman
daeman Dork
11/11/21 11:49 p.m.

4 doors? ..... That's a nope from me

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/12/21 5:10 a.m.

Looks like a lowered Accord Crosstour. Doesn't really do anything for me.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/12/21 5:51 a.m.

In an era where manufacturers are killing off sedans to build more cuvs Acura has the balls to introduce an honest to god SPORTY HATCHBACK available with an actual MANUAL TRANSMISSION and the first page of comments is full of nit picky complaints about the styling?

wtf...

Its not even bad looking. Kinda reminds me of the four door coupe things the Germans have been doing. I'm not sure about fitting adults in the back seat but It would be a heck of a dad-mobile.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/12/21 6:03 a.m.

It's uh it's not ideal... I don't care that it's a nicer Civic si, that gives me hope that the Type S will be the restrained Civic Type R I actually want. But man it's funny looking the color and side stripe do nothing for the "upmarket" "aspirational" image. The body shape doesn't lend itself visual pop it's also too tall for the wheels. 

But here's the good news... I drove a delivery mileage 21 SI yesterday and well maintained but high milage minimally modified 01 GSR and the feeling as a whole is remarkably similar both feel light on their feet, smile inducing, and ultimately greater than the sum of their parts. 

I need to see it in black (or clover green pearl) Type S trim but my deposit isn't going anywhere else

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/21 6:12 a.m.

The looks don't do much for me, but the specs seem right, and it's reasonably priced, so I'm glad it exists. 

The newer performance Hondas and Acuras seem to drive pretty well by most accounts, so hopefully this continues that trend. 

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/12/21 6:28 a.m.

It's a new car - not an SUV or crossover - with a 6 speed manual. The styling is not perfect at all, but there was only so much they could do with the civic platform probably. 

I like it (but won't be buying it)

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/12/21 6:39 a.m.

I mean it's decent but nothing special.

The original Integra always had better engines than the civic so to basically having the same mechanicals as the SI is an ehhh. It's good to have another 5 door non cuv out there but I won't be running to the acura dealer for this one. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/12/21 6:42 a.m.

I will definitely take a look at it when the 18 Elantra GT Sport needs replaced.  Since Hyundai gave up on me I'll look towards Honda for their now 4ish versions of the Sporty 5 door (Civic sport, Integra 2 models, Type R) to replace it.  But it only has 70k miles so it may be a while. 

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
11/12/21 6:45 a.m.

I like it. It’s not earth shattering, but it checks a lot of boxes for me. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/21 6:49 a.m.

I don't hate it, but for the $ I'd be more likely to buy a CTR.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
11/12/21 6:54 a.m.

For what car makers seem to be willing to put out, it is fairly interesting. I mean sporty intentions, manual transmission and four doors is not terrible. And not berkeley ugly like the WRX. 

I mean i wish it was smaller and probably lighter and had a double wishbone suspension but that is never going to happen now

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
11/12/21 6:54 a.m.
daeman said:

The og integra came in 4 door model. 

I have no strong feelings about this new one. 

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
11/12/21 7:24 a.m.
1SlowVW said:
daeman said:

The og integra came in 4 door model. 

I have no strong feelings about this new one. 

So did the DC. 

As far as the new car, I guess I can't lament a new manual sedan sporty choice in the market as they slowly go extinct. But it doesn't really do anything for me.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/12/21 7:32 a.m.

I like it.  Yes, it's a four door, but as someone who has 2 kids and all of their attendant detritus, that's actually a bonus.  I love my current Mazda3 hatch, it handles wonderfully and it fun to drive, AND can haul the family on day trips.  Something like this, a little fancier and more powerful, would be a logical move up for someone like me.  Color me interested...

...except for the mill.  I test drove a Civic with the 1.5T, and did not like the interaction between the engine and the 6MT.  Listen to me, manufacturers everywhere:  I DO NOT WANT FORCED INDUCTION.  The technology exists to easily get 150-200 horsepower out of 1.8 to 2.5 liters, without any fancy spinny dealies, while getting 32-38 mpg.  Do this, please. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 7:33 a.m.
j_tso said:

It's fine.

People are going to whine if it looks exactly like a civic

Fixed for accuracy 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 8:07 a.m.

I like it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 8:18 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Both our rio's made 138hp with 1.6L, the 2.0L GDI in the Forte was 171hp. Both would easily get 35+mpg and made good power in a usable range.

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/12/21 8:27 a.m.
Byrneon27 said:

But here's the good news... I drove a delivery mileage 21 SI yesterday and well maintained but high milage minimally modified 01 GSR and the feeling as a whole is remarkably similar both feel light on their feet, smile inducing, and ultimately greater than the sum of their parts. 

I need to see it in black (or clover green pearl) Type S trim but my deposit isn't going anywhere else

This was my experience from my 00 Integra and autocrossing a 10th g-street Civic Si at an autocross. I was quite happy with the the results in stock form and did felt they did a great job dynmically with the car. It made me tempted to buy one and replace my MK6 GTI. 

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/12/21 8:32 a.m.

It's growing on me pretty fast.  I was thinking it might be a *bit* more distinctive, but oh well.  The only way it doesn't look good is straight profile; that looks a bit goofy.  If the mechanicals are turned up 25% or so from the Civic, then it seems like it'd be a pretty awesome car!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/12/21 8:33 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla / volvoclearinhouse:

I do love the way the 1.6T in my Elantra drives though.  LOW end torque and doesn't completely fall on it's face at the high end.  A little tiny bit of delay on throttle application but overall I am pleased with the fuel economy improvements over a similar power curve V6 would offer.  I get 30-32 with upwards of 35 on highway trips on 87 octane.  Apparently I'm learning 91 would bump driveability and power up some so I will try that next tank.

I did drive a Civic and it was not as good as the Hyundai.  

But yes if you are a fan of the traditional 4cyl NA powerband the new Turbo motors are something different and would be undesireable.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/12/21 8:36 a.m.

I'm going to double down on my original post and declare that I like it, pretty much without reservation.  I'm not seeing much if any awkwardness.  Yes, it shares the same sloped-back 2-box shape as the Crosstour, but so do a dozen other 5-door liftbacks.  And it doesn't have the Crosstour's weird "flood pants / tippy toes" stance or lumpy roofline.

I like it.  A lot.  Even in yellow.

So there.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/12/21 8:37 a.m.

Yipee. Another jellybean that looks like every other jellybean.

Or...

"Nice Altima"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/12/21 8:43 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Drag is physics.  When you design to minimize drag in the interest of efficiency, a certain shape is going to become common given the interior space you need to fit it around.  Physics don't care.

No one would ever describe F1 cars as "jellybeans"... yet, weird as they are, due to aerodynamic physics they all look alike.  Physics don't care.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 8:44 a.m.

I give it four yawns and one "meh."

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CuUNWQTiEgJeZ57e96Hnhh6CFzipKh3jHYH0N2mamVidRuTOKPWwPAbzniq4kYJk