1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 11:28 a.m.

The original Integra came with the same engine as a CRX.  It wasn't until later that they started to get Acura specific engines.

Ivar Ridgeway
Ivar Ridgeway New Reader
11/12/21 11:41 a.m.

I'll take my resto mod DA chassis all day before the new Integra. I've been a long time die hard Honda fan but my most recent car purchase was a Hyundai Veloster N. I have much respect for the Civic Type R but IMO Hyundai has out Honda'd Honda in recent years. Seems like a decent car but I'm feeling no passion and I'm waiting to laugh at the sticker price......

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 11:53 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

The original Integra came with the same engine as a CRX.  It wasn't until later that they started to get Acura specific engines.

That is not correct. The first gen Integra had the D16A1 DOHC 1.6 (86-89). The CRX got the D16A3 whch was a SOHC 1.6. The Integra always had the DOHC engines. The second gen go the B18A1 DOHC, and then the first GS-R had he B17A1 with some of Hondas early Vtec in 92-93. Third gens had the B18B in standard (LS) trim and he B18C in the GS-R starting in 1994. The Type R got the B18C5 with 195hp and a fuel cu at 9k, redline "supposedly" at 8400rpms.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 12:00 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

That is not correct. The first gen Integra had the D16A1 DOHC 1.6 (86-89). The CRX got the D16A3 whch was a SOHC 1.6.

The CRX that the US got had all SOHC engines.  In the home market, the Si got the same D16A1 as the Integra.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
11/12/21 12:10 p.m.

I like it! Better looking than the civic which thankfully became better looking itself. I do not like the ACURA sticker!  From a brief tour of the interwebs it seems the 1.5l T DI fuel in the oil issue has been diluted enough to not be much of an issue.  Interesting and painful reading- I wish allot of things worked better in this world including OEMs getting ahead of issues with their product and taking care of end users instead of succumbing to idiotic delay and make end users suffer strategies that usually fail anyway.

BS99
BS99 New Reader

The looks are unremarkable (lose the yellow and the decals), but a relief after the Civic gen X.  Coupes are unfortunately dead, but it is a hatch with an LSD and a 6-speed manual.  And the 1.5T is reliable with big power potential...so yay!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork

In reply to Ivar Ridgeway :

that car is clean. Those all returned to the earth around us.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 12:11 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I thought we were comparing apples to apples, not USDM to JDM. 

OnTheChip
OnTheChip New Reader
11/12/21 12:25 p.m.

The car in the shifter video has RSX-TypeS floor mats???

I might be interested if there was a 2-door.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/12/21 12:27 p.m.

In reply to OnTheChip :

The RSX was called an Integra everywhere else in the world, so they just show it as they trace the lineage to the new one.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
11/12/21 12:29 p.m.

The kids have spoken - they dont like it.

IKR
IKR New Reader
11/12/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Thank you! I felt a connection/passion with that model and the following model, that at the moment is not there for the current version. We'll see if that changes.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/21 12:44 p.m.

In reply to Ivar Ridgeway :

I had a 1990 Integra GS that my ex- convinced me to trade in for a used Audi A4 Avant back in 2002.  I wish I'd kept it as while much of the car was falling apart, it ran great and would have made for a great track rat/autocross car.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/12/21 12:48 p.m.

The number of things this car brings to the table that hold any appeal to me at all amount to zero.  

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/12/21 1:00 p.m.

This is actually the type of car I might buy.  If it had a K20 I'd be a lot more enthusiastic.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/12/21 2:54 p.m.

I think the ilx is a far better looking car. I winder if they will have a dct in this car like the ilx or will they just go full lazy and just use the civics cvt.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/21 2:57 p.m.

Gross.

But I am definitely NOT the market for this car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/12/21 2:58 p.m.

I remember when the Integra came out. It was a larger, softer, more powerful Civic, torsion bars, beam axle and all. 

Photos for reference.

In fact, what Integra hasn't been a heavier, softer, more powerful Civic? It's the model's M.O.

So, following that lead, what if this new Integra makes a little more power than the Civic Si? A Hondata tune adds about 30 horsepower and 40 lb.-ft. of torque to the latest Civic Si. If Honda can add some of that power then, to me, I think they created a modern Integra. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/21 2:58 p.m.

I'd have more confidence in Honda if they hadn't botched the CRZ which was neither very quick nor very fuel efficient. Honda seems to not necessarily "get it" when they revive their icons.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/21 3:03 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah-the drivetrain was completely different (b-series vs. d-series) for all of the late 80's and most of the 90's. 

It's too bad that they arn't using the integra to showcase a hybrid drivetrain. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 3:15 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In fact, what Integra hasn't been a heavier, softer, more powerful Civic? It's the model's M.O.

2000-2001 Type R

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/12/21 3:22 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Different animal as we're just talking about the regular Integra here. For most of recorded time, the Integra served as your Civic engine donor as it was the bigger car. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/12/21 3:23 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I disagree with "bigger car". It was in their luxury brand but the 3rd gen cars were small, especially the 2 door.

EDIT: But you just asked when it wasn't and I knew that answer..... and I'm FAR from a honda fan club member

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 3:32 p.m.

If it didn't have "INTEGRA" on the side, would you bat an eye? If it did have a Taxi light on top instead, would you bat an eye? I say no to both.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/12/21 3:39 p.m.
Ivar Ridgeway said:

I'll take my resto mod DA chassis all day before the new Integra. I've been a long time die hard Honda fan but my most recent car purchase was a Hyundai Veloster N. I have much respect for the Civic Type R but IMO Hyundai has out Honda'd Honda in recent years. Seems like a decent car but I'm feeling no passion and I'm waiting to laugh at the sticker price......

This, and it's a bad time to be caught sleeping while Toyota/Subaru, Mazda, and Hyundai are all actually doing a good job of making relatively affordable low-end sports cars. Honda hasn't got out of the mid/late 00s rut like the others it seems.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7GCHcWNVvdyw1z8q3unSrZenISN9tDTkerfh3OqdOwWL1jdHYeYGxRZNU52fbnVC