Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/24/21 3:55 p.m.
feature_image

After lots of bottom-feeding on Marketplace and lots of work, we’d put together our dream tow rig: A 2001 Ford F-250 pickup with a slide-in camper. It might not be the most elegant combination on the road, but we’re thrilled with its ability to comfortably tow our enclosed trailer to the track and then act as our trackside chalet …

Read the rest of the story

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/25/21 8:16 a.m.

I've seen some unbelievably bad low voltage wiring on full sized RVs (wife and I owned and operated a 2 bay auto electric/electronic repair and install business back in the mid and late '90s). It was, at times, so bad that I seriously considered turning RVs away. I'll also say that some of the bad wiring was actually the work of the manufacturer (several owners swore that they bought brand new and never did any wiring).

Meanwhile, you're going to love having that rig track side. Several friends and I raced motocross in Texas back in the early '70s. And one friend/racer's dad had a cab over camper truck that we sometimes made use of at the various Panhandle tracks. Being able to sit in that rig, with the AC blowing, made a huge difference.

fearlesfil
fearlesfil New Reader
3/25/21 6:20 p.m.
03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/25/21 6:52 p.m.

In reply to FMB42 :

I can confirm the bad rv wiring. Especially from custom outfitters that build out conversion packages. My Cabriolet is a prime example

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/21 11:41 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to FMB42 :

I can confirm the bad rv wiring. Especially from custom outfitters that build out conversion packages. My Cabriolet is a prime example

Probably not intentional, but now I'm picturing an RV Cabriolet.

Solar is awesome. Combined with LED lighting and a 12v compressor fridge, it feels like cheating.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
3/26/21 12:09 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

smiley I should know better than use a partial name! In this case instead of cabriolet being a uppity (or just "furrinor") name for a convertible, Cabriolet is a company that made very high end RV and horse trailer toters. See Cabriolet Sportliner - made on MD Freightliners. I have also seen the exact same shape sleeper conversions done on a few vans, by Cabriolet, as well. For such high end conversions, when I started doing major modifications to mine, I found a lot of places where they really cut corners, in order to make more profit. I know about what the were selling them for in the 90's, and they should have trouble sleeping! But I guess when someone can make that kinda money, they can convince thimselves it ok.

We do still disagree a little on the physics of the feasibility of solar to the general public, but THIS is exactly where solar is the best thing since sliced bread!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gF4mkRLRdIa4awn0SvfgS7TFMRfurOeyy5tWgF5B1T7UWg8GIIxMrS4j2WsMpSlM