1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
10/11/21 12:36 a.m.

I frequently and relentlessly tracked a full weight 2013 Mazdaspeed3 at Sonoma raceway on EBC yellow stuff pads and good fluid with regular bleeding and then drove the car home (and then again -but not as regularly - at Road Atlanta/Barber/AMP when I moved East Coast). I'm not slow or easy on my equipment. I find them to be excellent dual duty pads, but as with any track work, be digilent in your inspections and maintenance.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/21 6:24 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Forgive me if this was brought up in the original post but Potterfield does custom pads fairly reasonable.

Porterfield made some pads for our Elantra. Total fronts and rears in the R4-E compound was $389 shipped. Very reasonable for an endurance racing pad. Going to pair them with some blanks and they should be good for VIR this December. 

We will also have back up EBC yellowstuff as they were extremely cheap and off the shelf. Have two sets just in case something goes wrong.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/11/21 6:55 a.m.

We normally run HP+ on our Lemons car, maybe #2500 mustang, 120HP, rear drums 3" cooling ducts.   

Our last set turned out to be HPS due to a purchasing error.  They didn't last as long, didn't handle the two hour stints as well, almost boiled the fluid.  That being said we did get two races out of them.  I wouldn't be afraid to try them for short runs.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/11/21 6:58 a.m.

Thanks for the replies. After the disappointing review of the Hawks, I'm inclined to put another set of Stoptech sports on the front and since the Stoptech pad isn't available for the back, put Hawks there. They should still be better than the parts store rear pads it's got now.  

EBC makes nothing for this car. A set of Porterfield custom pads, using the 2018 price quote, would be $500 more than OTS pads. I can't swing that. I'll buy the best fluid and some cryo-treated blank rotors and see what they do. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/11/21 7:26 a.m.

I had just the opposite experience with the original hps on the old elantra. Great initial bite good fade resistance. I even ran them on the 88 C4

ive been using porterfield r4s on the last couple of cars. This set has lasted an entire season of track days and DD duties without a peep. Plenty of dust but no noise. The caveat with that is im running the same sized brakes as your tall i art on a car that's almost 600lbs lighter. So ymmv and all that but porterfield has repeatedly won my business and they are friendly and easy to deal with. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/11/21 7:50 a.m.

Any particular reason you won't try the numerous suggestions of Carbotech/GLoc?

dps214
dps214 Dork
10/11/21 8:30 a.m.

Does porterfield not make R4S for your car? I was struggling to figure out the model specifics but it looked like they had pads that lined up with what other places listed as fitting the ralliart. Otherwise, I'd say try some carbotechs. Maybe I've been in the Porsche world for too long, but $600 for custom cut track pads doesn't seem that bad. Plus they'll probably last basically forever.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/11/21 2:21 p.m.

For whatever it's worth, I bought a Lancer Evo VIII when they first hit the market in 2003 and the brakes were always a disappointment.

Even with stainless lines, good fluid, and race pads there was always some flex/mush in the pedal. On top of that, the calipers turned brown from overheating, even when running street tires with stock suspension and near-stock power levels. I think there's a problem with brake cooling that can't really be overcome with just pad choice.

The Ralliart has some of the same brake issues as the Evo. I don't think you'll ever have a super firm pedal, but stainless lines and the right brake fluid will help. Castrol SRF and Prospeed RS683 are significanty better than other fluids. I have no idea why, but they yield a noticeably firmer pedal.

Error404
Error404 Reader
10/11/21 7:28 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Thanks for the replies. After the disappointing review of the Hawks, I'm inclined to put another set of Stoptech sports on the front and since the Stoptech pad isn't available for the back, put Hawks there. They should still be better than the parts store rear pads it's got now.  

EBC makes nothing for this car. A set of Porterfield custom pads, using the 2018 price quote, would be $500 more than OTS pads. I can't swing that. I'll buy the best fluid and some cryo-treated blank rotors and see what they do. 

HPS are-better than normal street pads and should never, has someone who used them, be bought for going on track. (Mostly trying to communicate that back in time to myself) HP+, though, are a solid toe-dipper pad with a much more linear feel and heat tolerance/handling. When I run out the current set of HP+, I'm likely to go with a DTC variant and be done with it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/11/21 8:44 p.m.

Yikes! I think the last time I checked it was $325 for front and rear. 

10/11/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Looking at the Carbotech pad choices, it's either the street pads or something labeled as not for track use. It's understandable, anyone who has followed the discussions about brakes on this site has seen the consensus that there's no such thing as a pad that works for everything. Still, I would have thought that their autocross pads would be acceptable for street use. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/12/21 8:44 a.m.

I can't stand HP+ pads.  All the downsides (dust, noise) of a race pad without any of the performance of a race pad.  Maybe they're ok on a lightweight, low horsepower car but that's about it.  I've always run dedicated race pads and just swapped them out.

On the 996 Turbo I've hit the limit of my Ate TYP200 brake fluid, I'm going too fast for it now.  Next spring I plan on flushing out with either the Castrol SRF or Endless 650 (which is apparently what Porsche Motorsport uses now).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/12/21 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Error404 :

Depends on the platform. I can say this after havinf run street pads all summer long, part of that in time attack. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/12/21 10:48 a.m.

Likely silly question; are there upgraded components that bolt on? On my Datsun there are bigger brakes that simply bolt on, as they are all stock components they are dirt cheap and I can get away with running street pads.

The other thought is many vintage racers (production class) have to stick with the standard components, part of their solution is adding brake cooling.

10/12/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Good question, I sometimes use it as a backup autocross car, so it's got to stay stock for street class. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/12/21 12:36 p.m.

4x114.3 right? I wonder if any of the Hyundai stuff from that era would work? On the Elantra we could use a Tiburon Caliper with 04 Sonata rotors for the first step. Second step was the 2 piston XG 300 caliper on the same 10.9" frt rotor. The XG caliper has a ton of brake options. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/21 7:25 a.m.

Porterfield shows Front available in all 4 compounds for the 02-07 Lancer for $99-$189. Dont see the rears anywhere though.

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/Products/?YearSelected=2004&ModelSelected=Lancer&MakeSelected=MITSUBISHI&selectManufacturer=All%20Manufacturers

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HbVvfBC7EP29NJisp6XVccndqLczOEi79ZUA7beBMeIS74W38SERKdfEDPYUrowR