1 ... 3 4 5
HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
10/3/12 8:20 p.m.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/3/12 10:12 p.m.
M030 wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: Chrysler LeBaron. Convertible, especially. My wife (at the time, girlfriend) owned one when we started dating- she asked if we could autocross it. I gave her a flat "hell no" and that ended there. Mushiest suspension ever fitted to a car, worst brakes, a chassis as flexible as a Cirque du Soleil performer, and nose-heavy understeer to boot.
All very true, but they do have torque. About seven years ago, I had a '93 Lebaron Convertible. I used to love to race Fast & Furious wannabes with it. There was one kid in particular who drove a bright orange Sentra with a huge aluminum wing and a 'fart can' exhaust. I would beat him from light to light, every time. Sometimes by a full car length. There can be no greater shame than when someone in a ratty old Lebaron smokes you in your loud "tuner car". Except maybe getting beaten by a minivan

I've seen it. Worked fine. Just a standard K-car underneath with lots of bracing.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/4/12 12:32 a.m.

PT Cruiser.

Aside from one drag car that doesn't seem to have much in common with a production model, I can't find much evidence of them ever having competed in anything. I would guess they're too rollover-prone for serious autocross on sticky tires and they're not exactly known for having a great chassis.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
10/4/12 8:11 a.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
10/4/12 8:50 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQDbESek5DI

Video I took a few years back...

hmm,

a zamb.... wait, nevermind...

Howabout a salt/plow truck?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/12 9:02 a.m.

I would have said Daewoo, but...well...

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/4/12 3:28 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:

Yeah, I found a bit of evidence of them being taken to some AutoXs and even talk of a PT trackday, but I doubt there's a car model that's ever been sold in North America in the past 30 years that hasn't been autocrossed at some point.

That one looks pretty stock though, and while I could be wrong, I really feel like the car wouldn't be stable on serious autocross rubber.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/4/12 3:41 p.m.

They're really just gussied up Neons. If i didn't hate the seating position, i'd race one.

Garaithon_GRM on here has a turbo 5spd one, and it's pretty entertaining.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
10/4/12 4:27 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

My spouse had a PTGT HO turbo 5spd until recently. It too was pretty entertaining.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
10/4/12 4:30 p.m.

First we must define racing.

If "racing" is any contest of speed, then everything has been raced at one point in time. One could argue that, being based on a Lotus chassis, even Geoff/the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust has been raced.

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
10/4/12 5:15 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Might as well just race a Neon, though, and avoid the driving position and all that glass and steel way up high. As I say, I know they're not as terrible as they could be, but I don't see them being run on a serious competitive level when a Neon is the same thing but better and there are so many other options out there in the world.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/4/12 5:23 p.m.
Max_Archer wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Might as well just race a Neon, though, and avoid the driving position and all that glass and steel way up high. As I say, I know they're not as terrible as they could be, but I don't see them being run on a serious competitive level when a Neon is the same thing but better and there are so many other options out there in the world.

For sure, but not everyone races an 89 Civic Si in STC, either.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/12 5:38 p.m.

Not really a race but it is timed and I won some money and a trophy.

Not me driving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST-zMd9YY5k

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/12 2:22 a.m.

How about some of those big home-market luxury Japanese cars like a Toyota Century or a Nissan President?

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ua8rlVqjObsysweKuHCtnEXTLYLESX8ylVjR6U7NhVkAbd2S5mlCaCgsl0HLy9Kj