1 2 3 4 5
Raze
Raze SuperDork
10/17/11 7:06 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
The0retical wrote: Cover the childrens eyes!
I happen to know that Speedycop (same guy responsible for the red T-bird above) has just procured one of these for sub-$500 and will be racing it in Lemons.

I'd rather drive this than a Juke, what moron would actually buy one of those? Oh yeah, my brother

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/17/11 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Raze:

I would so much rather have a Juke.

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/17/11 8:34 a.m.

My first thought was a Rolls Royce Phantom. It is something so obscenely expensive and oriented towards luxury (ie not performance) that anyone who had the scratch to buy one would rather buy a different car for racing, and its not likely to become affordable for GRM types for many years to come.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/17/11 8:38 a.m.
pete240z wrote: The Datsun F10 Woody Wagon

I suspect that there's one of these running around in Puerto Rico with a rotary swap. I can't confirm it, but they'll put rotaries in ANYTHING down there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 8:42 a.m.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/17/11 9:01 a.m.

I'm thinking the opposite side of things. Like a Maybach 64.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/17/11 9:05 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote:

um... wow... prob shouldn't say this... but never thought i'd like how an aztec looked... but that one I dig...

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
10/17/11 9:24 a.m.
clownkiller wrote: Smart cars!

There was a guy racing a Smart Car at the last autocross I was at....

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/17/11 9:27 a.m.
scardeal wrote: My first thought was a Rolls Royce Phantom. It is something so obscenely expensive and oriented towards luxury (ie not performance) that anyone who had the scratch to buy one would rather buy a different car for racing, and its not likely to become affordable for GRM types for many years to come.

Not a Phantom but still

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
10/17/11 9:33 a.m.

Never raced.... willys jeep? I know they rockclimb, but....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 9:48 a.m.
BobOfTheFuture wrote: Never raced.... willys jeep? I know they rockclimb, but....

Depending on how the Vatican disposes of surplus Popemobiles I would not be surprised to see one show up somewhere with a Sinead O'Connor blow up doll in the back

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
10/17/11 10:06 a.m.

I remember Car & Driver's land speed Prius. There was also a Prius spec series put on by Toyota at one point. Apparently the electric charge was used up after about a lap, and it was all gas after that.

Which gave me pause to Google image search "Honda Insight race car."

Car guys are amazing.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/17/11 10:16 a.m.

From what I understand the 1st-gen Insight is a desireable chassis for the FWD drag-race crowd. Super-light (once the hybrid stuff is chucked out) and super-aerodynamic.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/17/11 10:41 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I'm thinking the opposite side of things. Like a Maybach 64.

Erm... I don't know how far it qualifies, but I drag raced against one in my DSM once many moons ago. It kicked my ass. Come to think of it, so did that guys Phantom.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
10/17/11 11:19 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: From what I understand the 1st-gen Insight is a desireable chassis for the FWD drag-race crowd. Super-light (once the hybrid stuff is chucked out) and super-aerodynamic.

I know a guy who used to have a 9-second Honda Insight. And that's quarter-mile time.

The0retical
The0retical New Reader
10/17/11 10:49 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:
I happen to know that Speedycop (same guy responsible for the red T-bird above) has just procured one of these for sub-$500 and will be racing it in Lemons.

The build thread... I must see it

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/17/11 11:18 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: I actually think the answer here is a Prius. Yes people have brought them to the drag strip, but I don't think they will ever truly be raced. The 240d is a w123, and those have been raced/rallied quite a bit. The Prius chassis, no.

And you will be wrong!

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
10/17/11 11:23 p.m.
thestig99 wrote: Ssanyong Rodius

I've actually seen one at a track day, complete with a dog box and a roll cage.

Grizz
Grizz HalfDork
10/17/11 11:40 p.m.
donalson wrote:
pinchvalve wrote:
um... wow... prob shouldn't say this... but never thought i'd like how an aztec looked... but that one I dig...

Um.... +1

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
10/18/11 7:18 a.m.
The0retical wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
The build thread... I must see it

Speedy's not much on build threads, usually too busy building to document, but it will probably go something like this.

Strip out interior

Whack a cage into it

Go.

This is Lemons we're talking about after all.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 7:23 a.m.

Local Insight:

scardeal
scardeal HalfDork
10/18/11 8:23 a.m.

That insight is an impressive piece of kit.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/18/11 8:31 a.m.

I believe it should be in the nines... haven't followed it in a couple years. Not bad for a little n/a 4 banger.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/18/11 8:43 a.m.

So the answer is, we still haven't found one?

How about a Kia whatever they call their minivan?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/11 1:00 p.m.

Bugatti Veyron, unless you count the TG test track and mile-long drag races as racing, of course. the Veyron is just too expensive and rare to be raced imho

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FFxEFa5YKhjwQYgKhA2FYCUd22vgYxPZXGPUMBSwPdCVVXpEWjjpe1DYC1TLTblD