BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
6/23/18 1:44 p.m.

Wasn't sure if this was technically GRM material so I apologize if this should go someplace else. Anyways, I've got a 1994 Geo Prizm with a bum AC. It'll blow cold if the air temp outside is also cold/cool but once it starts to warm up (75F+ outside) it basically  starts blowing hot air. Was going to take it to a mechanic but figured I'd check with you guys first to see if there's a way I can diagnose and fix this myself.

Thanks!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/23/18 1:55 p.m.

In reply to BattlePope :

I'd hit it with a can of Freon first and see how it reacts before taking to a mechanic.  Paying for A/C repair is ALWAYS expensive.

BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
6/23/18 4:41 p.m.

I'll give it a try. Never done it before though...any good resources for refilling freon? Is it just the R-134a that I'm seeing on automotive sites? Anything else I'll need for this process?

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
6/23/18 5:25 p.m.

In reply to BattlePope :

Should be R134. Google will tell you, just ask. YouTube has lots of videos of the process too. Just make sure you hook it up to the low pressure side.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/23/18 10:08 p.m.

I wonder if there is a way to sticky a thread that contains a link to a (otherwise invisible?) subforum where all our good AC threads are linked. A lot of people are asking for help and a lot of ground has been covered in a lot of threads. I kind of wish we could 'tag' a thread like #acrepair and then just search that in the search bar. Hmmm.

Or i could do the thing i know how to do and rewrite all that stuff into a general how-to, but thats a lot of typing.sad

BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
6/23/18 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

No need to retype. I can dig around. To be honest, I can't stand the search function on the new site. The old forums had an excellent search feature.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/24/18 12:08 a.m.

You can try googling your term and adding "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm"  in the search bar and it will probably work better.

I posted in some of the threads so i can click 'Your Posts' near top right and scroll around until i find them again. Here are a few:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/next-in-the-learn-me-series-ac-repair-diy-or-farm-/139566/page2/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/ac-consult-needed/140596/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/help-with-ac-system-diagnosis/139935/page1/

BattlePope
BattlePope New Reader
6/24/18 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Thanks for the links. They were definitely informative but I'm also realizing I might be in a bit over my head. Going to do a bit more reading to see if this is something I can tackle. If not, might try go to a local community college or VocTech school to see if they'd be willing to do it for cheap.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/24/18 5:19 p.m.

Everybody starts somewhere. I teach at a community college vocational automotive program, but probably not local to you. If you want to give it a shot I'll respond to any request for help you put up here or contacing me through the forum etc. I just can't guarantee how quickly i'll respond. Lots of people on this forum have a good concept of AC repair so once you dive in and provide us a specific scenario (like pressures you see on a gauge set while system is running) im pretty sure the advice will start flooding into this thread. The HF gauge set is decent. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/18 6:18 p.m.

Sounds like a refrigerant leak. Buy some proper gauges with both high and low pressure, check the high and low pressures see if they're within the right range. Just google "r134a chart" for high/low pressure for various outside air temps. If you're low on pressure, add some UV dye to the low side. Run it for a while and get a UV flashlight to check for leaks. Usually condenser or evaporator leak. Hope its the former, much easier job. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
8/2/18 12:26 p.m.

What do you use to lube the green AC o-rings during assembly?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/2/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to snailmont5oh :

Refrigerant oil.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NDsbCjOjgnANcD9pDeTfHDB0phWxmA6JAh30Wd8rru3akmlipV6pCHdoBABivzii