J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/8/22 8:53 a.m.

The all-new 2023 Toyota Sequoia may garner attention as a plush way for moving your family around, but it’s also built to tow comfortably, even for those who aren’t professional over-the-road truckers.

A tow/haul mode comes standard on every new Sequoia. A Tow Tech package provides helpful assists. And depending on the trim, the Sequoia can tow up to 9520 …

Read the rest of the story

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/22 9:59 a.m.

Is the third row seat foldable/removable to provide a flat floor in the rear for a big dog?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
6/8/22 11:03 a.m.
Karacticus said:

Is the third row seat foldable/removable to provide a flat floor in the rear for a big dog?

Yes, they fold. Here's a photo that illustrates that:

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/22 11:26 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

That looks like a long way up for our elderly wolfhound!

If only there was such a thing as a minivan (for the low load floor) that could tow 7500# of horses and trailer. 

PeterAK
PeterAK Dork
6/8/22 11:32 a.m.

If you have the ear of someone at Toyota, can you please tell them that people would love it if they made an XL version?  I love my 2010, but its replacement needs to be bigger.  The 2023 appears to have less cargo space, not more, than the second gen.  Styling and power train are both attractive, but it's a no go for me based on how often we run out of space with our current Sequoia.  Would love to stay in the Toyota family as I've had better luck with them than the two GM full size SUV's I've owned in the past.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/8/22 11:52 a.m.
PeterAK said:

If you have the ear of someone at Toyota, can you please tell them that people would love it if they made an XL version?  I love my 2010, but its replacement needs to be bigger.  The 2023 appears to have less cargo space, not more, than the second gen.  Styling and power train are both attractive, but it's a no go for me based on how often we run out of space with our current Sequoia.  Would love to stay in the Toyota family as I've had better luck with them than the two GM full size SUV's I've owned in the past.

Most of the threads on our board complain that cars are too big so thanks for trying to balance that out.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/8/22 12:05 p.m.
PeterAK said:

I've got a 2008 and I agree. The cargo area and seats not folding into the floor are a huge disappointment. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/22 12:38 p.m.

Pfft. I have a 7-year old Ford that can tow more, has a completely flat floor with the seats folded, and comes in a long-wheelbase version. cheeky

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
6/8/22 9:01 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Pfft. I have a 7-year old Ford that can tow more, has a completely flat floor with the seats folded, and comes in a long-wheelbase version. cheeky

But it doesnt have that Toyota reliability or resale.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
6/8/22 11:22 p.m.
Karacticus said:

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

That looks like a long way up for our elderly wolfhound!

If only there was such a thing as a minivan (for the low load floor) that could tow 7500# of horses and trailer. 

Like a wagon one could drive to and from the station...

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/22 7:27 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

But it doesnt have that Toyota reliability or resale.

Or smugness of ownership.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/9/22 1:43 p.m.

I thought I wanted one until I watched one of the press reviews on it. It's totally aimed at upscale soccer moms despite their claims of towing capacity or the departure angles on the TRD Pro variant. Also the flip up glass is a huge regression from the roll down rear hatch window. 

My first gen is just an LS swap or 3uz-fe swap away from being perfect anyways. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/9/22 1:51 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

I thought I wanted one until I watched one of the press reviews on it. It's totally aimed at upscale soccer moms despite their claims of towing capacity or the departure angles on the TRD Pro variant. Also the flip up glass is a huge regression from the roll down rear hatch window. 

Who cares what it's "aimed at", as long as it's capable?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/9/22 2:55 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Who cares what it's "aimed at", as long as it's capable?

Well when the cargo area sucks and isn't all that functional then it's not that capable to me. 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
6/10/22 11:43 a.m.

Another example of terrible center console display integration. The interior kind of surprises me; the previous gen looks like it is a nicer place to spend time.

Fuel economy always seemed pretty bad (13ish from a friend with one) with the old drivetrain; I would guess the new drivetrain will go a long way towards helping that.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/22 12:17 p.m.

You must have an eco-boost Expedition lol

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/11/22 9:49 a.m.

Flip up rear glass??? Travesty. One of the coolest sequoia tricks is the roll down glass. Honestly, I was considering one of these when I heard they were updating but I'm 99% sure I'm out. I'll just keep my old one till it dies and then see what's on the market. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/11/22 10:15 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
PeterAK said:

Most of the threads on our board complain that cars are too big so thanks for trying to balance that out.

Yea, I would want something smaller.  If it can't fit in my garage next to my camper, it's too big.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jhyMCYSBLIP3qUqRUA0TL0gKbc19VJzBBC9VAzZZfsYM6kkiNIqLaFNr2Kt9Qn1F