1 2
e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 11:49 a.m.

Sorry if this has been posted out there just like every other what car should I buy thread, but is there really an alternative to the E36 M3? (the car, not the E36 M3 on here). Doesn't seem like it had many competitors in the era, and with nicer examples heading north of $10k is there something out there that offers similar in performance and livability, and that's not a miata?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/26/16 11:59 a.m.

So you want what, a cheap 6 cylinder rwd 90s coupe with good handling? SC300 and 300ZX come to mind.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/16 12:02 p.m.

RSX Type-S puts down similar numbers to the M3 with a few key mods if you can live with FWD.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/26/16 12:02 p.m.

Check out the "Selling the 911SC" thread a from a few days ago, guy is looking for a performance car and was considering the E36 M3, there were quite a few recommendations in there. All of the board to from Jags to Vettes.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 12:04 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Pretty much, something nice to live with on a day to day basis but yet doesn't mind to hit the autox or possible track day.

Coupe, RWD, manual, LSD, no real preference on motor. I came from owning to 7 series e23 735i and e32 735i so you get used to that BMW interior haha.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/26/16 12:12 p.m.
e23inGB wrote: you get used to that BMW interior haha.

You really don't want an e36 then- our 318ti has the E36 M3tiest interior of any car I've ever owned.

How about an RX8? They're REALLY cheap right now provided you're not afraid of the magic triangles.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 12:18 p.m.
Opti wrote: Check out the "Selling the 911SC" thread a from a few days ago, guy is looking for a performance car and was considering the E36 M3, there were quite a few recommendations in there. All of the board to from Jags to Vettes.

I will have to check that out, thanks!

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 12:20 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
e23inGB wrote: you get used to that BMW interior haha.
You really don't want an e36 then- our 318ti has the E36 M3tiest interior of any car I've ever owned. How about an RX8? They're REALLY cheap right now provided you're not afraid of the magic triangles.

Good point on the interior, my brother had a 318is that wasn't the best fit and finish, but the car was fun!

I'm torn on RX8's....just unsure of the spinning Doritos and finding a good one out there.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/16 1:04 p.m.

thing is.. the 318ti has a cheap interior.. especially compared to the sedans and coupes.. so don't go by that.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/16 1:17 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

The 318ti is actually generally considered better because of its simplicity. The regular E36 sedan/coupe interiors just fell apart, they were from BMW's worst era of poor quality materials.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/16 1:30 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: In reply to mad_machine: The 318ti is actually generally considered better because of its simplicity. The regular E36 sedan/coupe interiors just fell apart, they were from BMW's worst era of poor quality materials.

I was gonna say, I don't think I've ever been in a 318ti, but if the interior is worse than the one in my E36 M3, that's pretty bad.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/16 1:46 p.m.

What's the price ceiling?

How much maintenance/repair are you cool with?

Is FWD an option?

Mostly track or street?

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 2:12 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: What's the price ceiling? How much maintenance/repair are you cool with? Is FWD an option? Mostly track or street?

I would say under $5-7k-ish. Would prefer rwd. Im cool with basic maintenance/repair, I'm no fabricator thats for sure.

I have an Xterra to do my dirty work so it would be just a fun play car.

Mostly street, would like to get into track.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/26/16 2:23 p.m.

Can you find an SN95 Mustang GT for that money? Seems like it would be a good choice.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
5/26/16 2:29 p.m.

How about a 240SX? If you can find one that hasn't been dorifto-ed out, it's a good platform. Nowhere near the power levels of the M3, but there's an abundance of aftermarket options to sort that for you.

mad_machine
5/26/16 2:33 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: In reply to mad_machine: The 318ti is actually generally considered better because of its simplicity. The regular E36 sedan/coupe interiors just fell apart, they were from BMW's worst era of poor quality materials.

this is true. But to most people, the simplicity of the 318ti's interior equals "cheap". Personally I liked it, reminded me more of the E30 than the wrap around complexity of the sedan and coupe. That said, the Hatch's interior does hold together a lot better

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 3:04 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: Can you find an SN95 Mustang GT for that money? Seems like it would be a good choice.

Particularly have never been fond of the body style but I've never driven one. Might have to give it a shot.

e23inGB
e23inGB New Reader
5/26/16 3:05 p.m.
thewheelman wrote: How about a 240SX? If you can find one that hasn't been dorifto-ed out, it's a good platform. Nowhere near the power levels of the M3, but there's an abundance of aftermarket options to sort that for you.

I do like 240SX's especially the s15 but they're extremely hard to find in decent shape around me. Can't say I remember the last time one was for sale to be honest.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/26/16 3:37 p.m.

It's been years since I've seen a clean 240sx. Pretty sure they're all ruined at this point.

If you're going to look at sn95s, I'd suggest giving the 4th gen Camaro a try as well. Better suspension design and the ls motor is a berkeleying beast. The looks certainly aren't for everyone, they have the district trailer park stigma about them, and the interior was a pretty massive downgrade from the e36 I had prior to that, but...torque out the ass sure is addictive.

Shameless plug, mine might be for sale in the coming months.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/26/16 3:51 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
I was gonna say, I don't think I've ever been in a 318ti, but if the interior is worse than the one in my E36 M3, that's pretty bad.

I had a 328i sport package, so a later, better equipped E36 and it still had one of the crappier interiors I have had in a car. Although, looking back on it the seats themselves were pretty nice, it was just everything else that was cheap and plasticy.

But to the original question, a C-4 Vette can be had for less than a comparable condition/miles E36 M3 around here, which makes no sense to me. At least in the Vette you can laugh about the crappy interior (again with pretty nice seats) while you are doing burnouts.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
5/26/16 4:39 p.m.

What about a 350Z? Are those getting that cheap yet?

The engine is awfully rough, especially compared to the BMWs, but the suspension is more advanced and the brakes are probably better.

mad_machine
5/26/16 4:42 p.m.
SEADave wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
I had a 328i sport package, so a later, better equipped E36 and it still had one of the crappier interiors I have had in a car. Although, looking back on it the seats themselves were pretty nice, it was just everything else that was cheap and plasticy.

I think the plasticky thing was a sign of the times. we are talking about an early 90s cars.

As for the seats, I still have the passenger seat from my 318ti.. it's my office chair. It's extremely comfortible

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
5/26/16 10:00 p.m.

The Audi S4 of the slightly later generation is a competitor, plus, a 325 or a 328 is what, 80 or 90% of the performance of the M3. A C4 Corvette is a good competitor, too, and at least those are dropping in value.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/26/16 11:15 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: Can you find an SN95 Mustang GT for that money? Seems like it would be a good choice.

Please no these are terrible cars in stock form, they really dont do anything well, except sound good (the 302s). Cobras may be different. Mustangs cost more than similar year camaros which will outperform them. And before it gets brought up they both had E36 M3ty interior compared to today.

The only reason I want a Sn95 (5.0) is so I can get an on3 turbo kit and have a cheap car that makes V8 turbo noises.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
5/27/16 8:55 a.m.

What about an E46 330 ZHP?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CsXNp8uF71KbCAGdNVAekq1nSOi2PusomHC2pdq6Bkz2rtgT3ka8nfLk8AyJ4Hnp