greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
6/20/20 10:33 a.m.

Recently I've been looking for a new tow rig to haul cross state, I did a ton of research and found a 2001 Ram 3500 with only 133k miles clean title it looks okay, not beat to hell its got an air intake but no other mods (I'd go back to oem airbox if I bought it) it has only had 4 owners it's 4wd Laramie package and all. The guy wanted 11k which sounded reasonable for it and he sounded slightly open to negotiation so I thought alright this might be the truck. Went and pulled the vin report and to my surprise the truck had ROLLED OVER in an accident plus the airbags DID NOT deploy..... At first I thought vin check might have something mixed up since the title was clean so I looked in public records and sure enough it was in the accident. I always assumed the second a truck or car rolled it got slapped with a salvage title. But since it didn't I'm left wondering if didn't have enough damage to total it, and I could work him down on price because of it maybe it's still a contender?? 

I wouldn't normally go for a truck that'd been in an accident like that but with the airbags not deploying and it still being a completely clean title surely it must have been a very slow roll right? I need some justification either way cause this one has left me plain confused.

Thanks y'all, G

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/20/20 10:55 a.m.

Surely there is another truck for sale somewhere with a less questionable history. But maybe it's a great deal. If you really think this deserves more of your time - maybe ask for photos of the accident before repairs?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/20/20 10:55 a.m.

Not a lot of firsthand experience, but I can offer my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it.  laugh

I don't think there's anything automatic about a rollover triggering a salvage title.  I think that has to do with the dollar amount of repairs, or the extent of structural damage.

A buddy of mine, a long time ago, had a new-ish (at the time) Ford Ranger.  He was crossing a major intersection of two suburban arteries with the light when he was struck by a drunk running the light at a fairly high rate of speed in a Volvo 240.  The Volvo struck the Ranger at a right angle, pretty much centered on the rear axle.  My buddy spun around, ended up on his roof in the middle of the intersection, and sat there spinning until the truck came to a stop.  Damage was significant on one side of the bed, but otherwise the truck looked good, sitting there, upside down, flat on its roof, in the middle of the road.

Towing company sends a couple of their most talented guys, and they hook chains to it and proceed to drag it around for awhile.  By the time they got it back on its wheels, they had substantially collapsed the cab and smashed all the glass out.  After that, my buddy was sure it would be totaled.

But Mr. Insurance Company fixes the truck, for a few hundred dollars less than what they figured it was worth.  Good to go.  No salvage title.  Treated it like any other accident.

I don't recall if my buddy had any particular trouble with the truck after the wreck, but he traded it not too long afterwards.

I guess in your case, I'd consider how long ago was the accident, and whether the truck has any issues now.  There are worse things than a truck being on its roof, and if the repairs are done correctly, it could be a good truck. 

Edit:  The best part of this story, if you're a Volvo fan, is that this was a hit-and-run.  The drunken Volvo left the scene under it's own power.  Police caught up with him a short time later.  I don't know how bad the damage was, but the Volvo was still drivable.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 10:59 a.m.

Anything can be fixed. Something that was messed up all at once and fixed well might be better than something that was messed up slowly with 20 years of wear and tear anyway. If the condition of the truck is good.. then it's good! The only thing i'd be concerned about is bad bodywork. Luckily trucks have a lot of openings so you can see the inside of a lot of panels. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/20 11:39 a.m.

Rolled cars don't get put back on the road too often but trucks tend to.  Cabs and beds are fairly easy to swap and everything else is pretty durable so they don't always get written off. 

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/20/20 12:04 p.m.

When was the crash? If it was recent I might be concerned but if it was like 10-15 years ago I wouldn't be too worried about it and that would probably explain why it wasn't totaled as well. I assume it's a diesel?

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/20 12:22 p.m.

11k for a rolled truck? I'd run screaming myself

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/20/20 12:39 p.m.

If it happened last week, yeah. If it was 15 years and 100k miles ago...I don't really see the problem. Assuming it's a diesel in relatively rust free condition that's a fairly decent price for a hard to find truck that not much in that price bracket can compete with on towing ability.

greenfieldhippi
greenfieldhippi New Reader
6/20/20 8:41 p.m.

To answer any questions yes it's a 24v Cummins w 133k miles for less than 15k which is pretty outstanding itself which is why I was considering. The accident happened in 2012 I ended up buying the police report from my state and it turns out the owner before the current owners kid was texting and put it in a ditch at low speed. It didn't technically roll it just ended up somewhat sideways on its nose and the insurance company labeled it as such. I think I'll get a collision place to look it over before even talking any numbers. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GsVMiI79UbRf35vgJYv1974oG9TlrplxwVGwzJ4Yl8gpnP5rrbgHvONKC0iDDIk3