Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/10/20 10:04 a.m.

I am thinking of replacing the Air Flow Meter on my 914. The idle is rough and it tends to hunt for an idle speed. 

I actually had a cheap rebuild done by a local German Car repair shop several years ago and they said I really needed a new one. 

Consider that the car is 45 years old, has just over 100,000 miles on it and does not get driven much. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/20 11:09 a.m.

L-jet is dead simple.  Rough/hunting idle is usually a vacuum leak or other false air.

As you say, 45 years old, I'd be going over everything with a propane wand to see if you can smooth it out by adding fuel near a leak.  (Much more controllable than carb cleaner!)

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/10/20 11:12 a.m.

We actually did the carb cleaner and replaced vacuum lines already. Most are fairly new. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/10/20 11:22 a.m.

Helped a friend working on one on a VW Quantum Syncro Station Wagon about years ago, we actually wound up making a cup setup to measure fuel out put while diagnosing the system.

Thats about all I can remember from diagnosing the thing. 

Funny thing is he still has that car, but it doesnt have that engine anymore and it isnt a wagon anymore...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/20 11:27 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I have one of his ex-QSWs.  Tell Doug that Pete says hi smiley

Regards the 914, I would be paying attention to the intake boot, throttle shaft bushing areas, and intake manifold gaskets/boots.  (I assume the manifold is multipiece like an ACVW)

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
6/10/20 11:32 a.m.

Did you check the seal on the oil fill cap? If I remember correctly, if the 0 -ring is bad or missing you'll have an erratic idle.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
6/10/20 11:45 a.m.

The seal on the oil fill cap has been replaced. I do need to replace the manifold boots. They look worn. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/10/20 11:53 a.m.

One thing that is simple is check all the ground wires on the engine , pull the wire and wire brush everything , 

but as you can see there are many places you can have a vacuum leak ,  plus the simple tune up stuff like plug wires , spark plug gap , and valve clearance

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RW5srXjfFIIdizBWO1Cpf3x4U2l1uYlqYPMHGoZCSC9DK1RQULMn13peP9DpVz97