DustoffDave
DustoffDave HalfDork
4/15/16 4:39 p.m.

I want this: https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5540290201.html

What might you tell me about it?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/15/16 4:41 p.m.

I like them. I sold the one I had like most of my other projects that don't get off the ground.

Check the front frame rails for rust, I assume there won't be much left of the bottom since it has been sitting in the grass for awhile.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/15/16 5:29 p.m.

Said to be "amazingly rust resistant", with durable engines. Great handling for its time. Parts could be hard to obtain.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/15/16 5:34 p.m.

300 bucks? How can you go wrong. The cheap bastard in me would still try to talk them down.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/15/16 5:46 p.m.

They have a lot of style.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/15/16 5:51 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Said to be "amazingly rust resistant", with durable engines. Great handling for its time. Parts could be hard to obtain.

Amazingly rust resistant compared to what? A 70's Alfa maybe, but it's a 70's econobox. Park it in the desert and it'll rust.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 6:20 p.m.

Where I grew up there used to be a couple of guys with Mantas in street racer regalia - flares, lowered + roll cage. They weren't that fast, but they looked awesome!

This isn't one of them, but it's a good example of how cool those cars can be:

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/15/16 6:55 p.m.

Come to think of it, it looks a lot like a 7/8 scale E9 BMW

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/15/16 7:06 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: Said to be "amazingly rust resistant", with durable engines. Great handling for its time. Parts could be hard to obtain.
Amazingly rust resistant compared to what? A 70's Alfa maybe, but it's a 70's econobox. Park it in the desert and it'll rust.

German build quality. It will compare favorably to any car of its age.

Also, not marketed as an econobox. Sold by GM to counter Ford's "sexy European" Capri.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/15/16 8:10 p.m.

Do eet!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/15/16 9:33 p.m.

Not as hard to get parts for as you would think. A lot of the parts interchange between Opel models. The 1.9L engine for example is common between the Manta, 1900 (Ascona), Kadette and GT. Believe the trans is the same also. Manta's and 1900(Ascona's) are better platforms to modify. More room and A-arm front suspension.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/15/16 10:29 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
German build quality. It will compare favorably to any car of its age. Also, not marketed as an econobox. Sold by GM to counter Ford's "sexy European" Capri.

Very familiar with them. I DD'd a later 85 GRHEas well as hillclimbed it. Trust me. Rot is what killed most of them. The front chassis legs go down under the floorpan and create a wonderful water trap. Not as bad as Italian cars. But rust was a major issue.

Me. Harwood hillclimbed. April 94

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
4/16/16 1:29 a.m.

Yeah on the 80s mantas. Only thing sexy as an HSR.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FLgXao0CoagQu8pb4reRMVyG28MppbW23lDDexcBXsBbmPGMw66qdoRAB0lJyaVR