1 2 3
chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/19/20 7:29 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

Does anyone here monetize their channel?  Just curious.  

Mine is monetized, unfortunately about the time it got big enough to monetize we stopped doing projects and have only had about $600 come in.

Clapped Out Garage

I thought yours were pretty good, hope you find time to make some more.

I think Matt "iron trap" is the person I know who has gone the farthest with this. What's funny is that he was a euro snob when I knew him w201 and MKI vw chassis. 

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
12/19/20 8:26 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Question for you creators:

1)  What do you use to timelapse?

2) What camera do you recommend?

3)  What other gear?

4)  What software do you usually use?

etc

1) Timelapse is commonly a setting on a camera. Takes a photo every 'x' time (I believe it's adjustable) 

2) Depends on the content you are creating. I've been using my GoPro Hero 3 and 4 to decent success, although it records in wide angle, but my videos are mostly action involved. 

3) I've recently started to add tripods (auction scores) to hold the camera steady for both panning and when I'm not physically able to hold the camera at the same time. Very recently picked up some LED lights that I can mount to my tripods to back light the area better.

4) I've been using an older version of Adobe Premiere for years now. It's worked for me since I usually have a single video footage to use. I've only started using transitions in my videos, mostly just fade to black and fade in with copy-write free music.

My small channel can be found here: SNSTR Auto. I'm working on being more active, and have a new video I need to upload this weekend and maybe a Christmas update. It mostly follows the build of the intrepid, I got really vloggy for a bit earlier in the channels life, and some event footage from years ago. I am making a few adjustments for next year to hopefully create more, namely replacing my GoPro battery that dies in 12 minutes of recording because of the cold, and that's on its way, so I can hopefully do more recorded wrenching/cleaning/yard shenanigans.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/20 9:46 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Question for you creators:

1)  What do you use to timelapse?

I usually do that in the editing software. Most editors allow you to increase playback speed of a clip, which has a similar effect, although it's not "real" timelapse but the effect looks the same once the video is rendered in its final form. The advantage is that you can split the clip into sections and speed up some sections and slow down for the less boring ones.

2) What camera do you recommend?

I you have a cellphone that takes decent video and has a decent amount of storage, I'd start with that. In my case I did end up buying a good camcorder after about a year of shooting 45 minutes on the phone, hooking up the phone to the computer to pull the footage, then rinse and repeat. Cellphones, GoPros and digital cameras that can take video all work pretty well. If you happen to have an iPhone or an Android with a good camera, I'd start with that and maybe use Filmic Pro to record the video instead of the built-in camera app. The latter isn't really necessary, but it gives you more control over the image quality.

Main reason I went to a camcorder was that they're a little less popular than "regular" cameras and thus a bit cheaper second hand. Plus, funnily enough they're built for video.

I tried using my "normal" camera for a bit, but mine's an older Fuji that is limited to shooting about 15 minutes of HD at a time, which makes it a little clunky. Ideally you just want the camera rolling all the time while you're working on something and then retrieve the parts you want.

3)  What other gear?

Most important - a decent microphone, ideally two (a lapel/lavalier mic and one that you can mount on the camera itself). Audio recorded via built in mics generally tends to blow.

Second one, a tripod unless you can talk someone else into playing cameraperson.

Thirdly, additional lights, especially if your shop isn't particularly bright. You can get OK footage in most cases even at fairly low light levels, but having a couple of lights helps image quality immensely.

Oh, and a decent supply of memory cards if you use a phone that still takes them or you use a "real" camera. 4K footage especially eats storage. Also, make sure you have enough storage on your computer to handle the video files.

4)  What software do you usually use?

Depends - I do a fair amount of editing on my Mac, and that already comes with iMovie for free. iMovie is a pretty decent editor for someone with my skill level (beginner), it just takes a while to render (especially 4k) as it doesn't make good use of the cores in the machine and the machine is pretty old.

A lot of people like DaVinci Resolve, which is a professional editor that has a free version as well. The free version has some restrictions - it can only handle up to UHD ("consumer 4K") resolution, is missing some advanced features and doesn't use the GPU for rendering in Windows (and IIRC Linux). That said, it's still a pro-level non linear editor with a learning curve. I've used that for my last video and I like it, but it is a bit of a resource hog.

There are other free pieces of software about for video editing so I don't think you need to pay for an editor, at least in the beginning and no matter what your OS is.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/20 2:50 p.m.

I just hit 1,000 subscribers! What should I do to celebrate?

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/20/20 3:25 p.m.

Liquorice.

My two favourite words.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
12/20/20 6:21 p.m.
Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) said:

In reply to MINIzguy :

Just a FYI, the link you posted on page one is broken. 

D'oh, so thats why my subscriber count hasn't gone up! Jk

Here is an updated link: Dumb videos I post up

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rz1kXnIG85LQuu8DQqXcLgKjMXI5Re4nTurUoWycYwn9xwVheUWpaaXBMiBgpxgk