1 2
BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/21 1:13 p.m.

I can engineer and fabricate a car from the ground up, design and build equipment that will conduct thousands of amps of current, build and refinish rooms in my house, operate lathes, end mills, welders, etc. 

But when it comes to wrapping presents I might as well be a 5 year old boy doing it.

Maybe I should've posted this in OT?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/24/21 1:22 p.m.

Not since I got a welder for Christmas!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/24/21 2:35 p.m.

I'm the worst - no patience is the reason.   I use too much paper and tape.   

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/21 2:46 p.m.

I've started saving square boxes first, make things a little easier and harder to guess.. I've always just used newspaper and duct tape though. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
12/24/21 3:01 p.m.

I've been unsuccessful getting Mrs. P to wrap her own presents yet again.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/21 3:08 p.m.

I am terrible at it.

dps214
dps214 Dork
12/24/21 3:43 p.m.

It's really not that hard, just requires some attention to detail and practice. As long as the item being wrapped is a square or rectangle it's basically just a game of angles. Whoever came up with the idea to put grid lines on the back of wrapping paper deserves some kind of award because it's a game changer.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/21 3:45 p.m.

I hear you. My eye hand coordination and fine motor skills are sufficient for performing surgery, but you would sure never guess that after seeing a package that I wrapped!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/24/21 4:04 p.m.

Gift bags and tissue paper ftmfw.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
12/24/21 4:12 p.m.

I assume body panel fabbers are better at it than engine/suspension tuners.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/24/21 4:25 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Gift bags and tissue paper ftmfw.

Yup. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/24/21 4:50 p.m.

To say my wrapping looks like total total dog poo underestimates how bad my wrapping is.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/24/21 5:45 p.m.

Plus the bags are reusable. (We have a stash of them in the closet.)

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/21 5:51 p.m.

So far SWMBO has resisted the urge to wrap anything. She asked me to bring in the small tree & I did last weekend, but it's still in the box propped up next to the tv. Hopefully she doesn't get ambitious tomorrow, because the damn thing will still be up in May or June if it goes up. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/21 5:55 p.m.

Whenever I wrap presents the end result looks like a mentally challenged chimpanzee with palsy was given a roll of wrapping paper, some tape, and some LSD.

FFS people give me tens of thousands of dollars to make a rapidly setting up time bomb of a material look great too

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
12/24/21 6:07 p.m.

Many years ago when I was a poor, recently married college student, I went back to my home on Christmas break  partly so I could work at the Drugstore that I'd worked in during high school & during summers.  My boss, good man that he was, decided to offer free gift wrapping so that my new bride could also have a temporary job. She wrapped a lot of gifts during those couple of weeks.  The one item that stands out as the craziest was an ironing board (un-boxed).

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
12/24/21 8:24 p.m.

I wrapped all the presents currently under the tree. Even my own. SWMBO struggles too much with it so I end up doing it. Done enough now it's fairly easy. I'm not too particular about it, though. I mean, they're wrapped nice with ribbon or sting, but there usually a stray crease or two. It just takes practice. 
I agree the gridded paper makes a big difference. Unfortunately this year I convince her to wrap in black paper and use different colored ribbon for each person. Like gold for the boy, purple for her, pink for the son's girlfriend, etc. it looks cool, but the paper is thick and harder to manage. No grid lines, but no patterns to worry about, either. 
-Rob

Picture throwing a box at a roll of paper, coercing it around said box and then applying liberal amounts of tape to keep it together.

This my friends is my not-award-winning way to make presents less easily recognizable.

To say that I hate wrapping is an understatement, and it shows in my work.

Once my kids are beyond believing in Santa I swear it will be all gift bags from there on out.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/25/21 7:55 a.m.

I don't have a problem wrapping presents. I kind of enjoy it. As others have said, once you know the basic protocol it's easy. For anything rectangular, it's just a matter of scale.

Gift bags are for anything that won't fit in a rectangular box.  But if you have a box to fit your item, you should use it.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/25/21 8:06 a.m.

I used to feel this way. At a certain age I realized that wrapping square or rectangular objects is just a math exercise, and I'm good at math. I also realized that the care I put into wrapping is part of the gift; doing it well means something to me, even if the recipient doesn't notice. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/25/21 10:24 a.m.

We had an old tradition betwymy brother and I of wrapping one gift to be very challenging to open. Carried it over to my wife one year. 30 layers of wrapping paper, seams flipped each layer, all seam taped, so harder to open. Hid all the pocket knives. 

Generally I stink at wrapping too, till I get motivated, lol

I'm running late on my brother this year. Probably going to bust out the welder for the wrapping

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/21 10:53 a.m.

Wrapping presents? I own that E36 M3!

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/21 11:39 a.m.

I do the wrapping and my wife does the ribbon/bows.  At an early age my mom sat my brother and I down and showed us how and as long as I am not rushed its kind of enjoyable.  Put on a pod cast and the next thing you know its all wrapped.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/21 11:44 a.m.

Bags for the win, and paying someone else to do it when possible. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/21 11:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Wrapping presents? I own that E36 M3!

But why did you wrap a wood stove up?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
99Dn7o7h9xdRnwU0KcrVPAfDKhkroV4Uig4tO5HXv0jpzvv7fVnAoJ8MsdWTGsgo