David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/23/21 1:24 p.m.
feature_image

Today's racer has access to all sorts of data acquisition, the kinds of stuff we dreamed about back in the day. But you can also learn something from watching an old-school, hand-held video:

[How to demystify data acquisition]

Thank you, Turtleshark Shooter, for running some video at our latest autocross. Smooth, yes, but we need to brake a little later …

Read the rest of the story

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/21 4:41 p.m.

Nice day, in stark contrast to the FL State Championship event (missed you David, don't blame anyone for skipping that miserable weather, though).  I'm sorry I had to add this event to the list of the 2021 events that I've paid for, then missed myself.

Nice run, I can't find much to critique from the video. My general plan for the coming year is to get as  much seat time as possible (just like every other year).

Specifically, I'm going to work on trying to single out a single aspect of the first, and then subsequent runs to work on, depending on how each of them progress. For example, this might include when to turn in for the slalom, changing the braking point for a specific turn, etc.

I also tend to push too hard on my first run, which can be useful if you're on certain tires that don't improve their grip with heat, like the A052. I have been using Rivals for the last couple of years, and they improve with heat.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/1/21 1:28 p.m.

Yeah, I saw JG's posts from the Florida State Champs and don't miss not going. 

I could argue that I'm simply outgunned in the class. When the Miata was dynoed 20 years ago, it made 113 at the wheels. Sounds like the rest of our XSB class--all Miatas--is making like 150 to 300 at the wheels. Just forces you to drive better, right? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QnT33l7M0F2s3EYuHx8VarojGg4m4K7isVLb3zCDoLiuY8ojyaWQ7TzBDB6liVss