Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/21 6:04 p.m.

Since the 4R100 in the RV is singing it's siren song I've been checking out options for a replacement. This place seems like they offer quite a few upgrades over stock, for around the same prices I'm finding at Jegs, Advance, Autozone, etc., and I have no idea who they use for remans, or whether they include upgrades like MT does. 

Has anyone here used Monster Trans, or heard any good/bad experiences regarding them?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/21 6:17 p.m.

No experience with them but make sure you have the same output shaft/tailhousing as your RV.  A lot of RVs use a different one from the car and truck versions of the same trans.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/21 6:26 p.m.

I'm waiting to see where this discussion goes.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've read of some really bad experiences. Of course, that's all been off of the internet, but the BBB reviews look really bad. 

11/22/21 5:36 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Most 4R100's I've seen are sold without the tailhousing. But even then it seems there might be other differences than just 2wd vs. 4wd?

11/22/21 5:37 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Someone local had basically said the same thing, which is why I asked here. I'm going to go ahead & avoid them, since there's plenty of other choices. 

11/22/21 7:41 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Someone local had basically said the same thing, which is why I asked here. I'm going to go ahead & avoid them, since there's plenty of other choices. 

I'm relieved to see that. The BBB reviews were amazingly bad, and quite frequent, with a new complaint at least once a month. They also don't seem to be written by idiots, or the same person. They're pissing off a lot of people.  

11/22/21 7:19 p.m.

Ok, next question:

I found a local shop who can R&R the trans, and install a reman Jasper for just under $4200, including a 3-year/100k nationwide warranty. 

I also found a local trans shop who can rebuild it for around $2500-$3k depending on what it needs. The owner sounded like he knows his E36 M3, but I'd have to find someone to R&R it - or buy a transmission jack, a second RV jack, and hate myself for having to wrestle it out with minimal help. 

I wouldn't mind saving a grand by having it rebuilt locally, but without any knowledge of the shop who knows how it would turn out.

Conversely, I've been reading that Jasper isn't as consistent as they used to be, so while the warranty would be reassuring, breaking down 1000-miles from home is still going to majorly suck. 

Thoughts?

11/22/21 9:22 p.m.

It's been a few years now, but my friend/mentor in things automotive was given a tour of the Jasper factories, and was very impressed. The independent family owned shop where he was working installed their engines and transmissions fairly frequently and had good luck with them.

I bought an 04 Sienna from them with a Jasper transmission, drove it for four or five years and about 40,000 miles, then sold it to a friend. 

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
11/22/21 11:35 p.m.

I have a 47RE in my ram that was built by Suncoast Diesel in Florida.  I had them throw all the good stuff in it because the trans was the weak link in the drivetrain.  I've been very happy with it and the customer service was great.

It looks like they can do the same stuff to the 4R100.  I think my bill came to $5500 because I added a triple disc lock up in the converter and some kind of special stator or something. I have tried to hurt it pulling loads and it just does not care.

edit: just checked the prices of what I had done and it is up about $1500 from when I had it done.

Patientzero
Patientzero Dork
11/22/21 11:40 p.m.

I've only had one encounter with Monster.

We did a LS1/4L60 in a '68 Camaro.  Customer supplied transmission but brand new.  I believe it was a "stage 2".  3rd gear clutches were gone within a couple hundred miles.  We had Circle D rebuild the transmission and they said the parts used were inferior to what they would use for a stock type rebuild.  Use that information how you want, I'm not a transmission expert.

11/23/21 5:35 a.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

Thanks! Monster is definitely off my list. At this point I'm mainly considering a Jasper vs. having mine rebuilt locally. 

newrider3
newrider3 HalfDork
11/23/21 6:50 a.m.

Can't say if the V10 makes DIY trans removal more difficult, but my experience a couple weeks back pulling the E4OD from my E350 box truck (460) was actually the easiest transmission removal I've ever done. Once you take off the doghouse, all of the bellhousing bolts are right there. Took me less than two hours, working by myself on a sheet of plywood in the gravel driveway.

11/23/21 9:32 a.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

I was actually thinking about this last night. I'd still need to buy a 2nd RV jack, a trans jack, and some wheel chocks. But other than dealing with wresting the weight of the trans around with my bad back on the driveway, it might not be horrible. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/21 10:04 a.m.

How long has the local shop been around? 10-15-20 years? You don't stay in business that long doing E36 M3 work. Sure there are going to be lemons, but it's a decent yardstick.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
11/23/21 10:12 a.m.

Just looked and saw you're in Biloxi, Suncoast is in Ft. Walton Beach. In this internet world I almost consider that "local". They can probably have a trans built to your specs waiting for you and you can drop off your core at the same time.

11/23/21 2:57 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Thanks, that's definitely close enough to consider. I'll check them out!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rbrfrbDlGB6t9v00QuwVJHvFCXYa78QL0tBojdj10lzljLsB6vaKyv4fNoGH1FIM