Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/23 7:08 p.m.

So they have a SBF kit and I've seen in multiple places that the short ones in the SBF kit will work for LS headed 300s.
I've tried contacting them before, but if you're talking to them about something that isn't an out-of-the-box solution they get weird and kinda unhelpful.

Here's the kit: https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-detail.php?RecordID=555

Should I just grab some Grade 8 bolts?

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/5/23 7:18 p.m.

McMaster Carr sells ARP hardware under the title "12 point high-torque nut and bolts". I buy them regularly and they are indeed ARP marked.

I have yet to find the part number for ARP studs on McMaster but their hi strength 160,000 or 190,000 PSI setup studs are of exceptional quality and I use them for engine internals whenever I can.

Mr_Asa
2/5/23 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Very interesting.  Know how to find the studs to go with the nuts?

Does make me wonder if it would be more expensive to go through ARP or McMaster.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/23 7:34 p.m.

I never found McMaster to be offensively expensive except on really specialty stuff.  Like a 3/8" x 2" bolt is 60 cents, but a 3/8 x 2 reverse thread bolt is $6.50

Mr_Asa
2/5/23 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

My main complaint with them is that I don't know shipping till I actually ship it.  At least, that's how it was when I used them in the past.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/23 10:06 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yeah, I think I recall that is still how they work.  They never gouge me.  It always seems like reasonable rates.  I totally get the "unknown budget" part though.

I wonder if you order over the phone, or place an order and then call with the order number if they can tell you.  I think the last thing I ordered from them I got an email a few hours later with the shipping included in the total.  Almost like they were saying "here's your total, are we cool?"  I suppose if the number is too high you could cancel the order, or find a cheaper method.

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
2/5/23 10:54 p.m.

For the smaller guy, a lot of times you are better off contacting a stocking dealer and going that route vs direct from ARP. 

May I suggest these guys.   They're extremely helpful and even with the excellent relationship we have with ARP, I've often reached out to outside stocking vendors in the past when either ARP has been out of stock or we have been looking to piece meal an oddball kit together.

https://www.specialty-fasteners.com

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/23 11:22 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

My main complaint with them is that I don't know shipping till I actually ship it.  At least, that's how it was when I used them in the past.

That's been changed in the last year or so, shipping is calculated in the cart now.

Mr_Asa
2/6/23 7:15 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Near! Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fz1u4JpNVAMhRGNmjSl9Af1rL2lDJHGHwo7K8TOA2CuHwJMCkdKHpjY3hJeHEkhJ