1 2
obrut
obrut New Reader
7/29/16 5:33 p.m.

I was at the grocery store and I picked up issue #4 of cartoons magazine for some build ideas.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/16 6:09 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to obrut: Wouldn't the same bolt pattern define the axle from an RX7 as the choice?
No, because the bolt pattern on an RX7 is different. An Opel axle would have the same bolt pattern but wouldn't hold up to power over stock Miata levels.

MGB would get you a 4x114.5 pattern and a reasonably strong rear that's narrower than the Miata. You can find a number of wheels with both the 4x100 and 4x114.3 patterns on them.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/16 6:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
EvanB wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to obrut: Wouldn't the same bolt pattern define the axle from an RX7 as the choice?
No, because the bolt pattern on an RX7 is different. An Opel axle would have the same bolt pattern but wouldn't hold up to power over stock Miata levels.
MGB would get you a 4x114.5 pattern and a reasonably strong rear that's narrower than the Miata. You can find a number of wheels with both the 4x100 and 4x114.3 patterns on them.

I suppose if you are going that route the RX7 GSL-SE axle will do the same.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/16 6:22 p.m.

GSL-SE stuff is getting frightfully expensive, and MGB stuff is about two sizes smaller than GSL-SE (which is the same as 1.8 Miata for all critical dimensions including axle sizes, and in fact everything inside the case will interchange)

Makes me feel a little bad for using so much of it up, but ten years ago you could find GSL-SE rearends for $500 no problem, and that's when I was stockpiling everything.

obrut
obrut New Reader
7/29/16 6:50 p.m.

My searching says the stock miata track width is 56.2 and 4x100 lug and a fox mustang rear is 57 and 4x108 lug. I have a fox 8.8 laying around.

obrut
obrut New Reader
7/29/16 7:32 p.m.

I just searched and it looks like i can get a 4 lug multi pattern wheel in 4x100 and 4x4.25

If thats right then i can do fox mustang 8.8 in the rear, stock miata in the front and all i need is a 3 link and ill have a roller.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/30/16 7:13 a.m.
obrut wrote: I just searched and it looks like i can get a 4 lug multi pattern wheel in 4x100 and 4x4.25 If thats right then i can do fox mustang 8.8 in the rear, stock miata in the front and all i need is a 3 link and ill have a roller.

While I know you have an axle in hand, but to go back to my original idea- the Alfa axle is also 4x108. I used Mustang wheels for the challenge.

just for extra info.

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
7/30/16 8:33 a.m.
obrut wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Be really odd- find a POS Alfa spider- one that is very rusted. Take powertrain out and put in Miata. The live axle in the spider is pretty narrow- so it should fit. That would be very interesting. What engine are you planning? Edit- a quick search finds the axle is ~50" in an Alfa. And it has LSD.
I haven't decided on a engine, something simple maybe with a carb, since I'm taking all of the wiring out for the other car. Thinking buick 3.8 or chevy 4.3 with distributor and quadrapuke but I'm open to anything.

Iron Duke. Go for gold.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
7/30/16 12:02 p.m.

For lemons could you cut out the trunk floor and fit an acvw drivetrain in the back? Add Subaru engine if you want to go fast, but vw would be epic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Axkl8RbDOyr1SESDhUyGUF4k82Iyay3oSZnPlUw54wWORCxJDLqcDPnNt35DZE2Q