1 2 3
StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/14/10 7:21 p.m.

About a month ago, I got a "Wreckless driving" ticket in Clarke County, Virginia, more specifically, in Berryville.

I was probably going 30-35 (in a 25) when the cop saw me, I went out of Berryville, and up a long hill, into a 35 zone, the cop said his radar cought me at 50mph,(Bull E36 M3). It was my first time getting stopped by the 5-0, and first time ever even talking to a cop outside of parties getitng busted. The cop ticketed me for a 50 in a 25, and I have to go to court in late August. Here's some quesitons,

1. should I tell the judge I instruct PDX's. I instruct because I want people to learn how to control their cars at the limit and have a place for them to drive their cars at speed without doing that on the street. (completely true, I hate to see people driving dangerously on the street)

2. Should I tell the judge I do club racing so that I do keep my speed at the track (I'm guessing a HELL NO for this one)

3. How do I dodge my way out of a ticket? I'm going to college, and graduated high school with a 3.75 GPA, I'm a good kid, and definately dont deserve this, I figure you guuys have been in this situation before so I just want some advice.

Thanks, Steven

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/14/10 7:31 p.m.

If I remember correctly wreckless driving in Virginia can carry some SERIOUS implications. (including jail time and thousands in fines) (update, confirmed http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/Virginia-speeding-ticket.html ----- http://www.vatrafficlaw.com/reckless.html ----------- http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_6.asp) That isnt a speeding ticket, thats a misdemeanor! criminal record stuff!

Step 1 LAWYER UP

Step 2 LISTEN TO LAWYER

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
7/14/10 7:32 p.m.

Do a little digging on what the implications are with the reckless citation. In some places that is a major thing that could cost you your license. Consider some pro help. Most likely it gets pled down to speeding and maybe careless driving. Would skip the part on competitive driving. Likely to make things worse rather than better.

alex
alex Dork
7/14/10 9:11 p.m.
  1. Get a lawyer. (Ask other PDX instructors or club members for a recommendation if you don't have one. It's highly likely there's a lawyer in the club.)

2. Do what he/she says.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/10 9:16 p.m.

lawyer up. you can probably find one in the phone book, if you're old enough to know what a phone book is.

i crack me up. and i'm old.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/14/10 9:28 p.m.

Leave Virginia and never return. Seriously. I've rejected awesome job offers just because I refuse to live there. I've driven an extra 200 miles to avoid going through it. berkeley Virginia.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/14/10 9:35 p.m.

Get an attorney.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
7/14/10 10:09 p.m.
  1. Don't ever go before a judge and act like you don't deserve this. "throw yourself on te mercy of the court" so to speak.

Joey

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/10 11:02 p.m.

I may be the descending voice here but might I suggest getting a lawyer?

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/14/10 11:37 p.m.

Say nothing, get a lawyer, do as the lawyer says. Traffic enforcement is mostly a fund raising activity, so if you lawyer up they will most likely drop the charges or significantly reduce them. There is literally no good you can do by talking to the police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I also recently learned that there's not much good in playing fair and admiting to your mistakes. The courts will say thanks and then take all of your money. Plead innocent to everything. I've you've already plead guilty, change your plea.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 6:50 a.m.

$200 lawyer is money well spent!

Dan

Powar
Powar Dork
7/15/10 7:39 a.m.

I expected more out of you guys. How did we make it this far into the thread and no one has told you to just get a lawyer?

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
7/15/10 7:51 a.m.

In case no one has mentioned it, get a lawyer! I'm being serious of course.

i got a reckless back in college many years ago for doing 35 in a parking lot. It cost about $360 in the days when a speeding ticket was $35. i didn't eat for a month. Get a lawyer!

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
7/15/10 7:51 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: 3. Don't ever go before a judge and act like you don't deserve this. "throw yourself on te mercy of the court" so to speak. Joey

This.

I'm a lawyer. Don't tell a judge, or anyone else for that matter, that you're a good person. First, it's irrelevant. Second, it's a reminder of Nixon and "I am not a crook." It's probably no consolation that "The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike," but it's a good thing to remember.

Good luck. Seriously.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/15/10 7:57 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Leave Virginia and never return. Seriously. I've rejected awesome job offers just because I refuse to live there. I've driven an extra 200 miles to avoid going through it. berkeley Virginia.

This. Plus, get a lawyer.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
7/15/10 8:30 a.m.

You, or preferably your lawyer, should subpoena 1) the calibration and repair records for the radar/laser gun in question, 2) the training records for the officer in question and 3) engineering studies for the road in question. Oh, BTW, get a lawyer.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/15/10 8:32 a.m.

Expensive, safe, legal option... Lawyer up.

Cheap, risky, illegal option... Make sure the officer is otherwise occupied when you appear in court. It requires an accomplice and some imagination. Something as simple as a flat tire or as elaborate as chloroform and a shipping container can be used depending on your comedic inclinations.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/15/10 8:36 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: lawyer up. you can probably find one in the phone book, if you're old enough to know what a phone book is. i crack me up. and i'm old.

Zing!

Otto_Maddox
Otto_Maddox Reader
7/15/10 8:44 a.m.

Wreckless driving is the idea, no?

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
7/15/10 8:46 a.m.

Know a bunch of judges in the state they can get you off the hook.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/15/10 9:44 a.m.
triumph7 wrote: You, or preferably your lawyer, should subpoena 1) the calibration and repair records for the radar/laser gun in question, 2) the training records for the officer in question and 3) engineering studies for the road in question. Oh, BTW, get a lawyer.

Doing this sort of thing will almost certainly convince the authorities to move on to easier revenue streams, btw.

I don't know anything about Virginia, but in my experience on the West Coast, the smaller the town, the more the police act like armed meter maids.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
7/15/10 10:17 a.m.

Get a Barrister. (couldn't resist). Have your lawyer talk with the assistant D>A> handling the case, and try to get a resolution BEFORE appearing before a judge. This has worked for me in the past on smaller traffic infractions than your facing. Secondly, everything triumph 7 says applies. Third, go back over the road, and see if the speed limits ARE posted, and what they are. I got a ticket for doing 35 in a 30. The posted limit was 35. I got a call later that night from the officer. The ticket was dropped. BTW, I was issued the ticket IN FRONT OF the police station! If there are no "posted" limits. see what the spped limit is on residential streets where it's not posted. This may get a bit technical, depending if it's a town, county or state maintained road, as they may have different speed limits depending on the technical defenition of the type of road you were driving on. Find out if he had a dash-cam. DO NOT!!!!!! Mention that you race!!!!! It's OK to say you've had training in accident avoidance/safe driving. But, if there isn't ANY hint you MAY have been "practicing", you sir, are royally screwed. Pay a good lawyer, the money you spend on him will save you in insurance premiums for the next 3-7 years, depending on the state. Treat this alsmost as seriously as driving impared. Not quite a DUI, but close. This can even effect your credit rating. When talking to the lawyer, ask him if he's handled this type of case before and how long he's practiced in the jurisdiction where this happened. I wish you lots of luck with this one. Get a griop on this today, don't wait.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
7/15/10 10:31 a.m.

Know the saying that the best defense is a good offense? That's totally true in this case. And the footnote is to keep your mouth shut about any of your driving activities - any story you give the judge is only going to dig the hole deeper.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/15/10 11:08 a.m.

Finding a lawyer should be no problem as you've probably had several fliers land in your mailbox. Funny how that works isn't it?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 11:09 a.m.

By the way.....

Wreckless is one who doesn't wreck, probably has decent insurance rates.

Reckless is careless, indifferent to or disregardful of consequences.

When I got tagged for speeding [it was my turn] the lawyer fee is less than my insurance rates would have gone up in just the first year. 25 over is certainly reckless and in some States they yank your license until the trial and impound the car.

Dan

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LgPWW1opEP9jqwglrQ5em8VJS4nMzPYKjX1wHYZipa2Cl6ApmMivmCuff3aU5N65