1 2 3
demonspeed
demonspeed Reader
7/15/10 11:55 a.m.

I got a reckless driving ticket in virginia last summer (I live in VA), for 22 mph over the speed limit. I got a lawyer, got a speedometer calibration done which showed my speedometer was 3 mph off, took a safe driving class, and got a lawyer. Got let off on all charges. Judge said as long as I didnt get a ticket for 6 months that there wouldnt be any penalties. So do all that lol because I have a terrible driving record and still got out of having any penalties.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/15/10 4:30 p.m.

OK, Im going to search for lawyers specifically in that town tomorrow since I'm heading up there to instruct a PDX. I'm also going to take pictures of the town entrance, where the cop saw me, and the exit up the hill, and where I got pulled over.(I'm fairly sure I got pulled over in the 35 zone, I could at least almost see the 45 up ahead)

I'm going to ask around for lawers at the PDX too, I know a judge (MD) that is my next door neighbor, and my friends father is a government lawyer. but I want a lawer from that area.

ALso, should I put some big-ass tires on the car and get the speedometer calibrated? the difference might be 5mph, enough to knock me down from 25 over.

The 200 bucks in tires, plus 400 in a lawyer, is a hell of a lot less than my $580 fine, 6 points, and possilbe jail time. I'm only 17 so I doubt Ill get the jail time.

on the Wreckless v Reckless- I was gonna tell the cop "yeah, I was driving wrecklessly, I didnt crash didI?"...I figured that really wouldn't help my situation

Thanks guys, Steven

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 4:36 p.m.

It's the points that hurt you.

Good luck.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/15/10 5:05 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: ALso, should I put some big-ass tires on the car and get the speedometer calibrated? the difference might be 5mph, enough to knock me down from 25 over.

Rather than spend money on the car, use it to hire a lawyer and discipline yourself to slow yer ass down.........

Just a bit of friendly, if snarky, advice.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/15/10 6:13 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
StevenFV19 wrote: ALso, should I put some big-ass tires on the car and get the speedometer calibrated? the difference might be 5mph, enough to knock me down from 25 over.
Rather than spend money on the car, use it to hire a lawyer and discipline yourself to slow yer ass down......... Just a bit of friendly, if snarky, advice.

The money would be spent on getting me outof the ticket, because the bigger the tire, the slower the speedometer will read at the same speed. A 17in rim will make the speedometer read slower than a 15in rim if I'm going the same speed. This is classified as a "faulty device" and can get me out of the ticket. I'm going to do this as well as get a lawyer.

Steven

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
7/15/10 6:39 p.m.

Nobody will give a crap about you improperly modifying your vehicle (i.e. making the speedo read wrong in the first place). I dont think that's going to get you anywhere.

Cop car speedos have to be certified.. ours dont. That in and of itself should let you know that the courts would be just as happy if our speedometers read wind speed as road speed.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/15/10 6:42 p.m.

They don't care about anything but your money. Not your skills or your speedometer or whether you were actually even speeding. They just want your money.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/15/10 6:51 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: They don't care about anything but your money. Not your skills or your speedometer or whether you were actually even speeding. They just want your money.

True. It's almost impossible to be too cynical about the traffic enforcement system.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
7/15/10 6:52 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: I'm only 17 so I doubt Ill get the jail time.

You will be VERY lucky to get out of it with your license intact though. Changing the tires and getting the speedo clocked is a waste of time and money, furthermore if you get caught at it you can count on them throwing the book at you.

The BEST thing you can do, especially at your age is get the lawyer and do EXACTLY as he says. If you show the wrong attitude at court, get caught trying to weasel out, or anything like that they WILL make an example out of you.

Mentioning even a hobby interest in cars and racing is a very bad idea.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
7/15/10 6:53 p.m.
StevenFV19 wrote:
oldsaw wrote:
Rather than spend money on the car, use it to hire a lawyer and discipline yourself to slow yer ass down......... Just a bit of friendly, if snarky, advice.
The money would be spent on getting me outof the ticket, because the bigger the tire, the slower the speedometer will read at the same speed. A 17in rim will make the speedometer read slower than a 15in rim if I'm going the same speed. This is classified as a "faulty device" and can get me out of the ticket. I'm going to do this as well as get a lawyer. Steven

I wouldn't do this unless you run it by the lawyer and he/she thinks it's a good idea. The courts are perfectly happy to fine you for your faulty devices, in my experience.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
7/15/10 6:59 p.m.

Steven,
I'm not that far removed from your situation. When I was 18, I was pulled over and ticketed for being an out of state driver. I know, because I actually went back and tested--it is impossible for that car to get that fast in that short of road. I trust that you really weren't doing anything to warrant a ticket, just because I think that if you are a racer, you don't race on the street.

I think you are going the right route with the lawyer (I was able to get mine off in court on my own, but I wouldn't recommend it). Do what he says. Don't pass go, don't collect 200, do what he says and you should be fine.

Also, deny til you die.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 New Reader
7/15/10 7:32 p.m.

Yep, my friend, who I was on my way to visit, said that I was lucky that they didn't take my license and my car right off the side of the road. The only thing I care about is the insurance, hoepfully my lawyer can get me out of this. I also got in a crash yesterday on my way home from a college visit, not my fault, but the entire line I was in decided to stop, and I slammed my brakes, and dodged the car in front, as they dodged the car in front of them, resulting in my tapping the car ahead at like 2mph. If I get both of these against me, I will not have a license for a while...there goes my racing.

I'm just gonna listen to my lawyer and deny everything, since everything the cop said is bullE36 M3 anyways.

Steven

wbjones
wbjones Dork
7/15/10 8:07 p.m.

changing the rims won't help at all ... it'll just make the judge thing you're dumber than he already though.... get a lawyer ( I think some other poster might have suggested that)

here in NC I got a reckless driving / crossing the double yellow line / passing in a curve... the officer really wanted me to spend some time in lock up... (young and trying to make a rep) I saw him and pulled over and waited... really should have run.... mnt rd lots of side rds to disappear on... my lawyer knew all about the deputy and got the judge to send me to "safe driving school"... deputy was PO'd ... it was expensive (lawyer, school) but no jail, no ^ insurance , no pts... money well spent

don't know about VA but you could also ask for a Prayer for Judgement.... ask your lawyer what's your best option

one last thought ... get a lawyer

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
7/15/10 9:10 p.m.

Get a local lawyer. He can probably chat with the officer and arrange a deal prior to court. Dont worry about the costs; you just dont want the offense on your record. I periodically hold traffic court for my local general sessions court judge and am amazed by the "stories" that people tell trying to get out of a ticket. Your lawyer will also look at the original ticket to see if your ticket has been "flagged" by the officer; if so marked, no amount of wheeling, dealing or connections will get you out of that ticket. So be honest with your lawyer if you had any form of conflict with the officer.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 Reader
10/2/10 6:54 a.m.

well, I had court the 24th. I have to avoid getting a ticket for one year, complete a driving clinic, and submit a affididavit saying I did both along with the driving clinic certificate, and the case will be dismissed. Looks like I'll be driving Grandma-Style for a while...

Steven

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/10 7:11 a.m.
StevenFV19 wrote: well, I had court the 24th. I have to avoid getting a ticket for one year, complete a driving clinic, and submit a affididavit saying I did both along with the driving clinic certificate, and the case will be dismissed. Looks like I'll be driving Grandma-Style for a while... Steven

you are very lucky. reckless driving is serious poop. I would go purchase a lottery ticket now.

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
10/2/10 7:19 a.m.

for some reason, i got all my tickets (and managed to keep all them off my record with school, lawyers, etc) between the ages of 16 and 18. huh.

just stop driving fast at all. its never worth it. you'll never even remember where you were going , but you'll never forget jailtime for a few extra MPH over.

i hate the "rules" of society sometimes...

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
10/2/10 9:41 a.m.

Get a slow un-fun DD and when you go to a PDX tow the car, Congrats though the outcome though!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/2/10 12:16 p.m.

This is from July 14th... the OP has either settled the matter or been raped multiple times in prison by now.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/2/10 12:19 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: This is from July 14th... the OP has either settled the matter or been raped multiple times in prison by now.

maybe you should read, a few posts up..

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/2/10 12:27 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: This is from July 14th... the OP has either settled the matter or been raped multiple times in prison by now.
maybe you should read, a few posts up..

No rapes. Great success.

MikeSVO
MikeSVO Reader
10/2/10 1:08 p.m.

I wouldn't say get a slow car!

I just changed my DD from a 4 banger Ford Ranger to a 93 Corvette. In the Ranger, it's like I was in a hurry all the time. I don't know if it's because it was so slow and I had to beat the crap out of the truck to make it go anywhere, but you know what? The Vette has this totally 90's semi-digital dash, with the instant gas mileage readout. I've sort of made a game out of seeing how high I can keep the mileage. It's surprisingly amusing, and it does keep me in-check. I don't feel like rushing...it's wierd. And you wouldn't believe the kind of mileage you can get out of the thing!! Though it's also kinda funny just HOW quickly it'll guzzle when you drive it a little hard.

Glad you got out of it the way you did. I know cops are needed, but I've never been happy to see one show up (no I don't steal TVs for a living...haha).

MitchellC
MitchellC Dork
10/2/10 2:02 p.m.

Since this seems to be the ticket advice thread, here's a question of my own.

I got a ticket turning right on a no right turn on red. The sign was posted on a pole behind the stop line, so it wasn't visible when actually stopped. I genuinely didn't see it. I know, world's smallest violin concert. Anyway, there were a few cops parked around the corner with another person already pulled over. Should I bother fighting this or just grit my teeth and pay the ticket + take the safe driving class to get the points off my record? The total cost will be just under $200.

StevenFV19
StevenFV19 Reader
10/2/10 6:25 p.m.

Fight it. My penalty was a possible $580-$1000, 6 points on my license and possible jail time. I ended up with just a driving clinic and nothing else. Just go to court, say you're not guilty and tell the judge what happened, then the people's representative prosecutor person might ask you a few questions and you'll get off easy.

I think the main reason I haven't been raped by now is that I live in Ohio and I'm going to school and the judge didn't want to be a total shiny happy person..

I've been driving the speed limit lately, it sucks on long trips

Steven

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
10/2/10 6:47 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Leave Virginia and never return. Seriously. I've rejected awesome job offers just because I refuse to live there. I've driven an extra 200 miles to avoid going through it. berkeley Virginia.

knock on wood, but I haven't had a ticket in 8 years in VA (and my wife hasn't had one EVER). And I live in Fairfax County, widely known as "speed trap central." And I drive a WRX, widely known as a teenager street race car, lol. And I definitely don't drive the speed limit.

If you don't drive like an asshat, you're fine in Va. I get all my asshattery driving out of my system in PG County Maryland where I work (where enforcement is pretty much nil).

Just drive with traffic (whatever speed it's going) and don't be the first one coming over the top of a hill over the speed limit. Rules to live by around here. Price we pay for having a low crime rate.....the cops have more time for radar traps (as opposed to PGC where I work, where there is a murder every day so they could give a E36 M3 about speeding).

There are police that are gonna get you anywhere, especially if it's a slow day or a slow town (my last ticket was way out in BFE when I was all by myself and had no traffic cover). And there are cops here or there that might lie (they are humans after all).

As to the OP's question: I suggest you talk to the prosecutor and see what he offers. And do NOT mention any racing, instructing, or track experience. Unless the judge is an HPDE guy or something, you migh as well be telling him "yeah, I love to street race!"...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qpCCmiFBKm2xOTdghXwVSmqLG4j6V3bM1XTzttFlldlBzRRiWuuAboVB4SnND8uF