1 2 3 4 5
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
6/16/22 3:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The interior color on our NB was a major factor in choosing the paint color.  Tops are a big factor as well, although more easily changed.... but it can get pricey.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/22 3:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Have we discussed tops yet and how the color comes into play? 

(Sorta related, somewhere online I just saw a white Datsun roadster with a red top, and it just looked awesome.)

When we chose the color for the wrapped NA I've shared in this thread, part of the decision process involved taking pictures of samples against the seat and the top. We definitely took top color into consideration. The car's running the 2001+ "parchment" top and interior color.

Canada got the NA in BRG from 1994-97 as well as the 1991 car, and those cars were available with black tops/interior. It was an odd thing to see if you're used to the BRG/tan combo exclusively.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/16/22 3:54 p.m.

The interior and the soft top are both black. 

The hard top is painted to match body color. 

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/16/22 8:37 p.m.

How about some A1Q Merlow Mica and add a stripe?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 12:11 p.m.

I know I ruled out red before, but SWMBO says blue is no good (because blue was her ex's favorite color!) haha!

What reds might work?  We've established that Soul Red is awesome on an ND, but perhaps not on an NB... Any others?

I saw a stunning red on a Lexus today... 2018 Dynamic Sunstone Red (NBA). 

Thoughts?

Still like orange. Still like blue. Just can't completely rule out reds yet...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 12:40 p.m.

Keith Tanner
6/21/22 12:44 p.m.

Keep in mind that the NB doesn't have the hard lines that show off all the highlights in that color. It'll behave more like the rear quarter than the front quarter.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/22 12:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Have we discussed tops yet and how the color comes into play?

I am not a fan of that yellow-over-tan NB on page 2. Either color by itself is fine, but together they are awkward.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
6/21/22 12:53 p.m.

The Mazda Velocity Red really "pops" in the sunlight and gets many compliments...in the shade, it's just red. 

It was a 2006 Miata Limited Edition color  so looks decent on a car with fewer "edges".

No picture posted as I haven't found one that does it justice. Very heavy copper'ish metallic in red. Can look a bit  orange in sun at certain angles.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 1:07 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Keep in mind that the NB doesn't have the hard lines that show off all the highlights in that color. It'll behave more like the rear quarter than the front quarter.

Yeah, that's why I am asking. You are better at this than me!

Keith Tanner
6/21/22 1:11 p.m.

Velocity Red Mica was also used on the Mazdaspeed Miata in 2004-05, so it's easy to find pics of it on an NB. It looks very much like Classic Red with some metallic - we actually ran a Classic Red hardtop on ours and you rarely noticed.

Here's Classic Red beside Velocity Red with Classic Red hardtops on both. Early morning on a hazy day.

Keith Tanner
6/21/22 1:21 p.m.

And just because I'm in that directory, here's that Mazdaspeed at a magazine test in 2005. Ah, those were the days. I will justify this picture by saying that you can see the color in normal use :) I'm kinda thinking it would be fun to do a photo dump from this event and the 2003 version, it was fastest and furiousest.

Also, same event, I'm pretty sure this is Magnetic Blue.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/21/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Dang it. I'm having a really hard time resisting that Magnetic Blue. 

Hmm... the old ex is a problem! laugh

MyMiatas
MyMiatas New Reader
6/25/22 6:54 p.m.

Like I said you could always vinyl wrap it. Epoxy it up sand it smooth and wrap away.... flat pearl white on mine now

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/26/22 11:27 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

I don't think I am gonna do a wrap. I've got the car so stripped that it really feels like the right way to do it is to paint it properly. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/17/22 9:14 a.m.

I'm back. It's getting close to time to commit...

As much as I've flip-flopped, I'm starting to lean toward my signature...

If Lotus Chrome Orange is a cost prohibitive choice, anyone have suggestions for other oranges that are more reasonably priced?  

I like deep colors, with a touch of metallic. 

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
7/17/22 10:11 a.m.
SV reX said:

If Lotus Chrome Orange is a cost prohibitive choice, anyone have suggestions for other oranges that are more reasonably priced? 

BMW Inka? Not metallic, but could work on an NB.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/22 8:21 a.m.

Did we talk about Lava Orange yet, the rare MSM color for 04/05? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/18/22 8:38 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Lava Orange looks too much like copper to me. Not bright enough. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/22 8:42 a.m.

How about Porsche's Lava Orange?

BenB
BenB HalfDork
7/18/22 9:26 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Lava Orange looks so much better in person. Photos don't really do it justice. Same with Velocity Red, to a lesser extent.

Keith Tanner
7/18/22 10:15 a.m.

It's a pretty color, but it doesn't pop the way the Lotus or 30AE orange do.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/18/22 10:29 a.m.

I've always gone to my paint supplier and pulled color chips in the range that I was looking at once I settled on a general color.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/18/22 10:49 a.m.

Staying with Miata heritage, there was the orange launch edition model for the ND.  I have never seen one in person but here is a CaB auction ad with  113 pictures.  I like the color in the shade,  the direct sunlight makes it a different color.  I'm not sure how much of that is camera.

I like the orange here:

I don't like it as much here:

I do like the color here:

Interesting contrast in this picture where the outside of the door is in direct sunlight and the interior is in shaded area.  I like the shaded look.  

Keith Tanner
7/18/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That wasn't a launch edition (those were Soul Red) but a 30th anniversay edition in 2019. So very orange. The first two pictures capture the color best, it never washes out in person like that third pic.

I think it could have been handled with a little more delicacy on the interior, the orange rings around the eyeball vents seem to put it over the top for me. But it's a strong statement for sure. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4BYlPuZ8cHAM3To3HqDz6RHObhznVb8JvhRaBhBH5WcrbL4mfIadK1rUiH6EBoAD