1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
11/28/21 8:15 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to JThw8 :

The non-Raptor F150 from the 2011 to 2013 era came with the 6.2 engine. It might've only been the Harley Davidson version but they are rare. 

Look

The raptor after early 2010 had them too.  I should note Im not opposed to the raptor but I also find it a bit foolhardy to pay for upgrades which dont do me much good.  Still I've damn near convinced myself to buy that Roush Nitemare and lets face it I dont NEED any of the upgrades it has, but since getting rid of my CTS-V I do miss 600hp on tap.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/28/21 9:41 p.m.

I don't have too much to add (cool thread so far) but will say this:

DON'T BUY A RAPTOR FOR TOWING 

I towed a 16' enclosed trailer with one and it was miserable. Then a friend of mine bought one and sold it shortly after for the same reason.

Can they tow? Yes. Is it pleasurable? Absolutely not. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/21 11:35 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Agreed.  If you're going to spend that much on a Ford tow vehicle, buy an F-250 diesel instead. :)

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/21 11:59 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

There are three Roush F150s in my neighborhood. Two of them were purchased used, probably off lease. 

One of them is annoyingly loud. That guy leaves for work at 4:45am, and I can hear him for a couple of miles. I know that they have an dashboard adjustable exhaust note. That guy must have his cranked all the way up. 

I don't know if they are good, but they are good looking, and I'd say that they qualify as interesting . 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/21 1:19 a.m.
JThw8 said:
yupididit said:

In reply to JThw8 :

The non-Raptor F150 from the 2011 to 2013 era came with the 6.2 engine. It might've only been the Harley Davidson version but they are rare. 

Look

The raptor after early 2010 had them too.  I should note Im not opposed to the raptor but I also find it a bit foolhardy to pay for upgrades which dont do me much good.  Still I've damn near convinced myself to buy that Roush Nitemare and lets face it I dont NEED any of the upgrades it has, but since getting rid of my CTS-V I do miss 600hp on tap.

Yes and the 2011-2014 F150 got the 6.2 too. So you don't need to get a Raptor. You can get a 6.2 Harley Davidson equipped F150 or a 2011 Lariat Limited (a 2011 only trim) and save $ by not paying for a Raptor while still having something different, rare and special. 

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/29/21 5:54 a.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

I suggest you actually drive a 3.5 EB truck.  It's more hot rod than you think it is.  Those things make a wall of torque down low and overall are very impressive.  And this is coming from a RAM guy, having owned Hemi trucks and now owning a Cummins diesel 2500.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
11/29/21 6:44 a.m.
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to JThw8 :

I suggest you actually drive a 3.5 EB truck.  It's more hot rod than you think it is.  Those things make a wall of torque down low and overall are very impressive.  And this is coming from a RAM guy, having owned Hemi trucks and now owning a Cummins diesel 2500.

Agreed.  The first thought in my mind when I drove a 3.5 EB was "this feels like a diesel that learned how to rev"

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/29/21 6:57 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I don't have too much to add (cool thread so far) but will say this:

DON'T BUY A RAPTOR FOR TOWING 

I towed a 16' enclosed trailer with one and it was miserable. Then a friend of mine bought one and sold it shortly after for the same reason.

I've read this is the case with most of the "hot rod" pick-ups.  Lot's of power? Yes. Designed to tow? No. 

The Dodge 2500 Power Wagon is a good example of this - really low tow rating for a 2500 - thanks to the off-road oriented suspension.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
11/29/21 12:23 p.m.

Throw out the budget and get a unimog? Great for farm stuff, and should be able to tow!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/29/21 6:39 p.m.
Honsch
Honsch Reader
11/30/21 2:11 a.m.

If you don't tow far, you want a Rivian.

800+HP, tows 11K.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/21 3:53 a.m.

I'm the outlier that loves his 2021 Silverado Crew Cab Custom 2.7T. Daily driven, will happily tow a 22 foot Big Tex trailer with a 4x4 Sierra on board. Has brake controls and all the electronics and knocks down 22.1mpg mixed (mostly city) and can be driven across country with 5 bigger people on board. 

None of this is interesting or ticks off your boxes. Waiting patiently to see what you get 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/30/21 6:54 a.m.

I find this thread interesting only because I'm seeing what others think about trucks. To me trucks are no more interesting than shopping for a new fridge. How big do you want? What colour? What options? But at the end of the day it's still a fridge and I'm that way with trucks, they're appliances for the most part. "Interesting" trucks are older, lowered,engine swapped, etc. and likely are no longer capable of hauling or towing much.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
11/30/21 8:04 a.m.

Even ignoring dollars, a Raptor or TRX would make a terrible farm truck.  They're significantly wider than their standard counterparts.  We'd be scratching the hell out of them on tree branches all the time, and it makes it that much harder to reach all your crap in the bed.

Alright, I can't just ignore the dollars.  I could be convinced to buy a new truck, but I really can't get my head around the amount of money a "high end" truck costs.  I've used the online builder a few times, and I always end up with the lowest spec 3/4 ton with a couple cheap options.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
12/3/21 4:51 p.m.

It's funny how many people have mentioned the Jeep Gladiator.  It is indeed cute, but it is a far cry from the old one-ton Willy's it is kind of modeled after.  The gas version can only tow 4000 pounds.  You could probably do that with a Crown Vic--that would also meet the "interesting" requirement, probably.

My go-to formula for some time has always been regular cab 3/4 ton 4x4 (6300 pounds) with either diesel or large gas engine.  It's hysterical how many people think they don't exist . . .

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uax9KCnWsykx7u2GwzHyW4J4UqgDtEh3meR1AxsbhFhLiwLBxyv71ZBf6VvyzPfs