ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/28/20 7:03 p.m.

I want to do a nice-ish job swapping out the stock muffler for an aftermarket one. I want to do it myself.

Do people still use the u-bolt style or are bands the only way to go now?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 7:27 p.m.

Acceptable but turn them so the studs don't face down?  I did get some nice stainless band clamps for my truck for sub $10 at summit though, so no real reason to use u bolts.  Don't crush them into the pipe, that's for darn sure

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/28/20 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'd prefer the clamps for a more finished product. Do they hold well?

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
1/28/20 8:15 p.m.

I've never had good luck with Ubolts. The racecars have them and every junction is either crushed or leaks or both. Hard to get it right. They don't fall off though. Even when I wanted them too....

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 9:21 p.m.

The stainless band clamps from summit hold well on the 4" pipe on my truck.  I'd recommend them and will use them in the future.  

like these.  Very nicely priced.  

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-692025/

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/28/20 10:48 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I've never had good luck with Ubolts. The racecars have them and every junction is either crushed or leaks or both. Hard to get it right. They don't fall off though. Even when I wanted them too....

^^ all of these points are correct. 

Personally, I just do full 1-piece exhaust from the header to the muffler when I actually build an exhaust.  Easier to drop it that way :) - assuming the exhaust on your car doesn't have to go over any subframes or whatever. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/20 11:10 p.m.

I like band clamps (this one time, at band clamp...).

A nice low profile, easy to R&R (no crusty slip joints full of carbon!) and you can remove a section of pipe without having to remove anything else.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/28/20 11:14 p.m.

For a while the Jeg's house brand band clamps were a bit lower price; haven't needed any for a while. I've used the "butt together" (same Dia.) type and the "over lap" type. Both are well worth it. I have had the "butt" type come loose, but that's from extreme use / abuse! And then I just loosened pushed together ant re-tightend. And yes, I put anti-seize on the bolts.

_
_ Dork
1/28/20 11:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I like band clamps (this one time, at band clamp...)

I have not heard that since high school man. Thanks for the laugh. 

therieldeal
therieldeal Reader
1/29/20 7:56 a.m.

The lap joint style are the best, if your exhaust system is fitted together in the typical way:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-681300/overview/

I could see the butt joint style being very useful when making a quick "temporary" repair or modification, though.

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
1/29/20 4:01 p.m.

When I build an exhaust system I like to make connections using 2 or 3 bolt flanges. If that's not possible I like a pipe into a pipe connection.  I cut a slot in the larger of the two pipes and use a clamp, a U clamp. Their cheap and they work for me. The last system I built has 3 bolt flanges at the ends of the headers, a 2 bolt flange where the pipe mates to the muffler, and two slip fit connections. I may end up welding the slip fit pipes at a later date but since this car has yet to take to the road I'll wait on that to see if any adjustments need to be make.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
1/29/20 4:36 p.m.

I have had decent luck using the u bolts that are flat and less likely to deform the pipe.  I like the idea of the bands but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/20 11:07 p.m.

I swapped over to band clamps. I use a brand I found on Amazon that are all stainless and come in many sizes as well as clamps for both but joints and overlap joints. It makes taking the exaust off later much easier.  I think that they typically are about $7.00 or less for smaller ones and get close to $10 for big ones. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/30/20 8:38 a.m.

Now that I have used the band clamps, I wont go back to U-bolts.  Getting pipes apart after the u-bolts is a pain.

The butt-joint band clamps require that the pipes be perfectly mated or they leak.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 10:16 a.m.
NOHOME said:

The butt-joint band clamps require that the pipes be wrapped with beer can before clamping or they leak.

FTFY

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/20 10:23 a.m.

Band clamp. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/20 12:25 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
NOHOME said:

The butt-joint band clamps require that the pipes be wrapped with beer can before clamping or they leak.

FTFY

I have a few rolls of aluminum flashing that work really well for things like this.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/20 4:04 p.m.
bluej said:
AngryCorvair said:
NOHOME said:

FTFY

I have a few rolls of aluminum flashing that work really well for things like this.

I use the mufler past on the inside of the clamp on street cars.  Never had one leak.  Race cars I dont bother.

This stuff:

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/30/20 4:43 p.m.

My band clamp butt joints (that just sounds so ... wrong ... ) didn’t leak, just needed good hanger work to hold. I like the lap joint better, though. 

I like the aluminum can of your choice plan, as well!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kad2XBF8C1g2HV9teqHYhzPaH6MrAx1TjGItEzQ4eRKQpH7X0jE1conClx0uOl3r