1 2
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/2/23 10:37 p.m.

Cool to see some other guys who got into it later in life. I always loved cars and wrenching, and started doing track days around 40. I decided to race at 45, I'm 48 now and having a blast. 

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/2/23 11:10 p.m.

In the early days of cable TV, I saw what I later learned was a Prod car race from the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta which piqued my curiosity and showed me that there was such a thing as amateur racing.

Fast forward to the late-80s and I went to my first competitive event, a BMW CCA Ice Race (basically an autocross on a frozen lake). Met a guy there who had a Chevette on bald snow tires who was faster than most of the BMWs. He showed up the next week in a caged MR2 SCCA Showroom Stock car on race rubber. I let him drive my Golf with snow tires when he got tired of just doing pirouettes in the Toyota - he was way faster than me in my own car. We got to talking, and I ended up crewing for him a month later for his competition school. That got me into the SCCA and other driving events. Eventually, I put my own car together and started wheel-to-wheel racing in my early 30s.

Hung up the driving suit and sold-off all those toys about 15 years ago when the kid arrived. Looking to get back into it eventually, but maybe through Lemons, or an arrive-and-drive rental in SCCA...

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
1/2/23 11:59 p.m.

In 2006, at age 15, my friend and I read about the inaugural Lemons race at Altamont. We decided then that we wanted to go racing. In 2013  we had enough money and friends(with money) to make that happen.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
1/3/23 1:17 a.m.

I was probably 3 or 4 when I knew and started imagining it. I haven't yet raced yet so still imagining at times. But ive been able to drive both a dirt late model and a 360 sprint car at fun day.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
1/3/23 3:51 p.m.

Whatever age I was when I first saw Days of Thunder. While I have no desire, now, for NASCAR, it lit a fire in me.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/3/23 3:59 p.m.

Gran Turismo was released in the US on May 12, 1998.  I would have been 14.   However, this demo disc appears to have been an early 1999 thing, which is where I played it for the first time.  I would have been 15 then.

Interactive CD Sampler Disc Vol 9 Sony Playstation One PS1 PSX Game Disc  Only | eBay

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sb5IRobGM4O6qraqbdPsEQ6tiUUpaR24HnapsyOjKULQaM2SsvMP0udazVjLA8o7