1 2
huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 6:43 p.m.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in autocrossing 88-92 Mazda 626 or Mx6. I have had on for two years now and I will finally be able to race this spring time. Wondering how well it would do in classes other than stock class. I have done too much stuff for the stock class so I was thinking about running in ST. Let me know what you guys think

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
1/30/10 6:47 p.m.

I have seen someone run a turbo one in GS, it was farily quick, but didnt look like it handled well. It got wrecked at an autocross from what i heard, but i think he might have bought a new one. I imagine with the right suspension upgrades it would be alot faster.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 6:59 p.m.

They don't handle well stock, at all. The ride height is more set up for rock crawling than corner carving.

I wish i could help you personally, but my 1990 MX6 GT handles like crap. Don't let that put you off, it's because of a few things that i haven't corrected, or things that i took shortcuts on, rather than any inherent faults of the car. And also because i'm comparing it to my Celica.

Here's a useful thread:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-other-performance/52979-gavins-all-out-suspension-mods.html

But here's some inspiration for you.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 7:13 p.m.

I didn't ask the important questions....

1) What's already done to it?
2) What do you want to do with it?
3) Is it turbo or n/a?

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 7:29 p.m.

!.) Intake and pacesetter header, 99-03 protege lowering springs on stock struts. 2.) I want the car to be somewhat competitive in ST over time. I dont want to set FTD the first time out but it will be a progression. I also want to do a few track days in the future. I am using the car to hone my driving in the attempt to race in NASA or SCCA in the future. I figur that if I learn more car control I have a chance of doing somewhat well in the future. I have done a few autocross events in the past but that was with Hondas. and the car is N/A

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 7:48 p.m.

Gotcha.

First off, if you haven't already, i'd replace all the suspension bushings, then do something about those struts.

Did your car have the AAS suspension?

My car currently has 2nd gen Megan Racing springs, 2nd gen KYB GR2s, and an Addco 1" rear swaybar. It would handle a lot better if the bushings weren't shot, it had some better tires, and the tie rods and such were replaced.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
1/30/10 8:08 p.m.

An older guy that we used to hang out with used to bring his 626 sedan (stock class, all allowances, on r-comps) out when his other 2 cars were getting fixed (which was pretty much always).

He actually held his own in the class, finishing mid-pack at most events - but that said, he's also been autocrossing pretty much since it was invented, so he has serious driving skills....

I forget his name though...this was in DC/Philly regions

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 8:09 p.m.

This is why they handle like crap. Look at the ride height. Also interesting to note, the front is easily an inch higher than the rear.

This is a stock AAS setup in this picture.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 8:16 p.m.

Non AAS struts on the car. I was thinking of buying the Koni Yellow inserts if they are still availlible. I also have some 2.5" springs that I got in Charlotte at a motorsports auction. 350 and 150# are the spring rates. going to purchase some ebay coilovers for the sleeves only. Can you remove parts of the interior like the rear seat for ST?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 8:22 p.m.

Well, apparently, after more research, these cars were a force in G Stock back in the day?

That's surprising to me.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 8:22 p.m.
huggybear626 wrote: Non AAS struts on the car. I was thinking of buying the Koni Yellow inserts if they are still availlible. I also have some 2.5" springs that I got in Charlotte at a motorsports auction. 350 and 150# are the spring rates. going to purchase some ebay coilovers for the sleeves only. Can you remove parts of the interior like the rear seat for ST?

The Koni Yellow inserts haven't been in production for over a decade to the best of my knowledge. At least not the 1g application. The 2nd gens will fit, though, with relatively minor modification to the rear, and the fronts are bolt on. It's actually a good thing for the front, because the 2nd gen struts are an inch shorter, which keeps them in an efficient operating state with lowering springs. Using 2nd gen struts, you can lower the car a good 3"+ without constantly bottoming out. You can't do that with the 1g struts.

My car is currently down about 4".

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 8:24 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

Well that kinda blows then. New idea I guess. I remember people talking about D2 and K-sport coilovers. Maybe I can use those

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 8:29 p.m.

Sorry, i updated my post.

The Koni Reds are available, i think.

But you can make any 2nd gen strut/spring work if you want to stay away from KSport or D2, which i would probably suggest.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 8:52 p.m.

Just checked shox.com and they have a set of inserts for about 680.00. Might go that route but the d2 and k-sports are about 900. decisions decisions

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 9:05 p.m.

Which inserts? The reds? I guess KSports would kill a lot of birds with one stone for a decently low price, but i'd be surprised if they got you REALLY far in ST.

Would be a decent starter setup to cut your teeth on, but i'm just a fan of spending the money once.

But, the KSports would take care of your struts, springs, camber adjustment, and new strut mounts. One stop shop, even if it is mediocre performance. Honestly, the car probably isn't going to be competitive, it's too big. I'd say the KSports wouldn't be a terrible choice.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 9:09 p.m.

I think that they are the Koni Reds. I cant find a listing anymore for the yellow. I may just end up with the Ksports. I think that when I get my tax money back i will do a writeup on my car and my progression. all fingers crossed. does anyone know of a decent 16" tire that will go well on my car. I have rims already and dont want to purchase another set. I was thinking 225/50-16.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 9:15 p.m.
huggybear626 wrote: I think that they are the Koni Reds. I cant find a listing anymore for the yellow. I may just end up with the Ksports. I think that when I get my tax money back i will do a writeup on my car and my progression. all fingers crossed. does anyone know of a decent 16" tire that will go well on my car. I have rims already and dont want to purchase another set. I was thinking 225/50-16.

What are the specs on the rims? Width and offset?

The Reds are commonly called "Specials." The Yellows are "Sports."

225/50-16 should be fine, just make sure you're got at least 7" wide rim.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
1/30/10 9:23 p.m.

The are ASA J5's 16x7 i have no idea what the offset is. bought them for 80 bucks.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
1/30/10 9:43 p.m.

Following with curiosity here because im considering picking up a 626gt.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/30/10 10:17 p.m.
huggybear626 wrote: The are ASA J5's 16x7 i have no idea what the offset is. bought them for 80 bucks.

225s is about as wide as i would go.

pres589
pres589 Reader
1/31/10 6:04 p.m.

93Cel, your car isn't sitting right, that ride height doesn't seem stock. Not that you didn't park it on level ground and then took a good side view picture for us to judge with or anything... these things seem to have pretty soft rear springs from the factory compared to the fronts.

A good coil-over setup with a good strut insert like something from Koni (I'd trust anything from Koni over the stock stuff these came with) with good spring rates and corner weighting to tune the suspension would probably go miles on one of these cars. If I had one of these to do it all over again, I wouldn't replace the trashed KYB AAS struts that came on mine from the factory, I'd go looking through the linkes that 93Cel has rounded up. I don't race stuff so lowering and really stiff springs wouldn't interest me as much as good dampers, good bushings, and roll control.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/31/10 6:22 p.m.

It had all stock stuff on it, with working AAS and all that jazz. The nose up stance was even more noticeable on level ground. If you look through really old dealer photos/ads of these cars, they had a slight nose up stance. Mine looks probably a little goofier because my rolling stock is actually slightly smaller than stock.

Here's a more level picture of it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/4/10 4:29 p.m.

OP!!! More questions!!!

Sorry, i just really like this thread.

Oh.. and yes. The shiny red car with the FMIC and the bling bling blang wheels was purchased for $900.

huggybear626
huggybear626 New Reader
2/4/10 6:27 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2: Well hopefully I will have a lot of money back on taxes. That way I can convince the misses to let my buy somethings for my car. I decided on buying the KSports for this season and a set of Falken Azenis 615's. i will also buy some new lower control arms for the front or get poly bushings. Probably poly if I can still find a set. Does anyone know if I can remove the rear seats in ST or not? I hate rear seats and I need to lose some weight in the car cause I dont feel like going to the gym

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/4/10 6:34 p.m.
huggybear626 wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: Well hopefully I will have a lot of money back on taxes. That way I can convince the misses to let my buy somethings for my car. I decided on buying the KSports for this season and a set of Falken Azenis 615's. i will also buy some new lower control arms for the front or get poly bushings. Probably poly if I can still find a set. Does anyone know if I can remove the rear seats in ST or not? I hate rear seats and I need to lose some weight in the car cause I dont feel like going to the gym

KSports and RT615s should get you somewhere.

Another cheap upgrade if you can find an MX6 GT in the junkyard, they have a stock rear strut tower brace. Grab it, bolt it in!

As for the rear seats... they don't weigh much. I don't know if you can remove it or not, but even if you can, it's like 30lbs. Take a REALLY good pre-game dump instead.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOzwz4uGi5PBnK2pxvL19mh9bR9wzSFhZeFM1dNhQrOZwrQYSaGO9ACZot5j3u5q