1 2 3 4
aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
3/11/11 7:44 a.m.

To a Bentley owner: Nice Chrysler!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/11 8:15 a.m.

To the Miata and CRX crowd: "Oh, yeah, they're well understood and popular platforms. Great cars, perfect for people who don't want to do much thinking."

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/11/11 8:25 a.m.

An older auto paint store guy once said to me - "Hey, nice Mustang. You may be too young to remember, but they probably made more of them in that color than almost any other, but I haven't seen one in years. Everyone painted theirs red about 2 years later."

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/11/11 8:25 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: To the Miata and CRX crowd: "Oh, yeah, they're well understood and popular platforms. Great cars, perfect for people who don't want to do much thinking."

What's the backhand in that? That's exactly why I own a CRX.

oobert
oobert New Reader
3/11/11 8:50 a.m.

My friend wanted to get the latest gen celica, and was telling me how great they are.

My response: At least they look fast.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
3/11/11 9:29 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
TR8owner wrote: As a TR8 owner I hear all the time - TR7 ugh.
But technically it is a TR7- V8 in the mother country. Isn't it?

Not quite. There's a pretty great article over on the Classic site that details the TR8s and spends some time on TR7s as well...

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/last-waltz/

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
3/11/11 9:46 a.m.

Not really a complimient but I get this one all of the time (in parking lots, drive throughs, etc.) regarding my EP3 Si:

"How do you like your hybrid?"

Pisses me off.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
3/11/11 10:01 a.m.
RexSeven wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: To the owner of the 1st gen RX7, I haven't seen one of those Porsche's for years
Applies to 2nd. gens as well, which aped the 944 look on purpose. Or, they'll say, "Nice 240SX," "Nice Corvette," "Nice Celica," or (worst of all) "Is that a Ford Probe?" Another one for rotary cars- Well, at least it hasn't blown up yet.

I'd say the Probe is the least surprising - the first generation Probe seems to have had many of the same team working on it as the second generation RX-7. They share a lot of the same quirks, like an instrument panel that tilts with the wheel and the "chicken wing" turn signal switch coming out of the dash.

Trans_Maro wrote: There's a C5 'vette parked in the lot, taking up two spots so nobody would bump his douchemobile with the door.

There were a couple of times I managed to squeeze an old beater econobox into one of the half-spots that people like that think they're taking up. But I like your response better.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/11/11 10:03 a.m.

Probably the one I hear the most:

"That actually runs!?"

evildky
evildky Dork
3/11/11 11:54 a.m.

to the guy with the harley grand touring bike "dresser" "nice goldwing"

and , "how long you been a dentist?"

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/11/11 12:21 p.m.

The only thing I can think of similar that has happened to us - and it happens all the time: "Hey, nice javelin" when my Dad is driving his AMX.

That's not intended as a disparaging comment, though. It is just ignorance on the part of the commenter.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
3/11/11 12:24 p.m.
BigD wrote: Doesn't quite fit the topic but I feel it belongs. Went to a car forum get-together once and one guy brought a Tacoma with one of those TRD OFF ROAD stickers on the bed. My wife caught a glimpse of it and asked him why he put a "TURD OFF THE ROAD" sticker on his car? I almost died laughing.

Every time I see a Toyota with blazoned with big TRD stickers I laugh to myself. In the era of im's and texting, who doesn't read that as TuRD?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/11/11 12:35 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: To the Miata and CRX crowd: "Oh, yeah, they're well understood and popular platforms. Great cars, perfect for people who don't want to do much thinking."
What's the backhand in that? That's exactly why I own a CRX.

Because it implies that you bought one of those vehicles due to the inability to think. In other words, you didn't want to develop a car, you just wanted to plug in the formula and go.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/11/11 12:53 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Exactly, but maybe that is only an insult on the GRM forums.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/11/11 12:59 p.m.
oobert wrote: My friend wanted to get the latest gen celica, and was telling me how great they are. My response: At least they look fast.

The advertising is pretty funny and the butt of many jokes... Especially when you find out that the bulk of the "Action Packages" were fitted to GT trim cars.

Drive a GTS 6spd and it's a different world.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
3/11/11 2:01 p.m.

The Acura guys always take offense when I refer to their cars as Hondas. I honestly don't think some of them know.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/11/11 2:07 p.m.
racer_ace wrote: Not really a complimient but I get this one all of the time (in parking lots, drive throughs, etc.) regarding my EP3 Si: "How do you like your hybrid?" Pisses me off.

You're not playing that one right. Take it as an opportunity; "Well, honestly, it gets no better mileage than the all-gas car it replaced, it's boring to drive, and looking back, I could've got the same car for 2/3rds the price if I hadn't got sold on all the "hybrid" BS."

oldtin
oldtin Dork
3/11/11 2:34 p.m.

Not sure how I feel about this one - had the mgb gt out in the driveway - somebody walking their dog said - "hey, cool porsh." As a 911 owner I'm a little irked that an mg could get mistaken for a porsche. As a car guy, nice that someone thought the mg was cool. If I wanted to annoy an ac 911 guy - guess I could compliment his mg. New p-cars are too big to get mixed up with little brit cars.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
3/11/11 3:28 p.m.
oldtin wrote: Not sure how I feel about this one - had the mgb gt out in the driveway - somebody walking their dog said - "hey, cool porsh." As a 911 owner I'm a little irked that an mg could get mistaken for a porsche. As a car guy, nice that someone thought the mg was cool. If I wanted to annoy an ac 911 guy - guess I could compliment his mg. New p-cars are too big to get mixed up with little brit cars.

Is the MG running yet?

Hal
Hal Dork
3/11/11 3:31 p.m.

Not exactly compliments, just questions I have been asked

Is that electric?
How do you like that hybrid?
Is that one of those crossover things?
Is that one of those (Korean, Japanese, Indian) trucks?
Who makes that?
Did you buy that in (Japan, Europe)?

paul
paul Reader
3/11/11 3:57 p.m.

"I've always liked the lines of these 1st gen rx7's, what body kit do you have on it?"

oldtin
oldtin Dork
3/11/11 4:07 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

Not yet - got a new coil and suspect the dist is 180* out. Got cold out and got distracted....wanders off mumbling to self. It will be at the challenge this year.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
3/11/11 4:09 p.m.

When I had my old Toyota wagon, a classmate of mine said: "Hey, nice Subaru."

Me: "Um yeah, it's a Toyota"

Him: "And the difference is?"

Thanks

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/11/11 4:35 p.m.

To the Cobalt SS owner "Nice Cavalier"

And my personal favorite.... wanna make an SRT-4 Neon owner mad? Roll your back windows down. From the front seat of the car.

(ms3 owners are heartless sometimes. We gotta do what we can with wrong wheel drive" )

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/11/11 5:03 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I'd say the Probe is the least surprising - the first generation Probe seems to have had many of the same team working on it as the second generation RX-7. They share a lot of the same quirks, like an instrument panel that tilts with the wheel and the "chicken wing" turn signal switch coming out of the dash.

The instrument panel on my RX-7s don't tilt, but they do have the turn signal and cruise control stalks coming out of the dash. I can see the resemblance between the RX-7 and the Probe, but that doesn't mean us FC owners have to like it. One's a legendary sports car, the other is named after a rectal examination device.

mndsm wrote: To the Cobalt SS owner "Nice Cavalier" And my personal favorite.... wanna make an SRT-4 Neon owner mad? Roll your back windows down. From the front seat of the car. (ms3 owners are heartless sometimes. We gotta do what we can with wrong wheel drive" )

Even better, just call the SRT-4 a Neon. Some of the owners get all pissy since Dodge officially called the Neon-based SRT-4 just "SRT-4."

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PscFEkQsnmZaz7sJ97J7KvKizyXIEKSAzNzWe7RXjleQcCTkWr9mYgU06lIFe0Ly