1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/17/09 3:04 p.m.

Well it looks like they have changed the curse. The button willow is the 2nd even where they let 1 person from each team go at the cursed car with a tool. New rules .. no cutters or blunt objects. But you can use pipe wrenches to strip bolts etc., WHat happens is the car is dissasembled and some parts stripped,. So the cursed car can run again if its put back together again- in time.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
8/17/09 5:59 p.m.

so i guess an axe would be OK?

they might have underestimated the dastardly ingenuity of the lemons crew. i would suggest (in order to bring it down to our level): "no cutty or bangy things."

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
8/18/09 2:35 p.m.

Never assume the curse will be the same thing either. A payloader here, a mob there, whatever. If you're not prepared to lose the entire car, don't go, you will be mad at something undoubtedly. It's not about the car. Nobody really cares that you spent 8,000 hours on it. You shouldn't really have spent 8,000 hours on it. Just drag it out of the weeds, change the fluids, weld in a cage and change the tires.

OK, so we also changed brake pads.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/18/09 2:52 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Never assume the curse will be the same thing either. A payloader here, a mob there, whatever. If you're not prepared to lose the entire car, don't go, you will be mad at something undoubtedly. It's not about the car. Nobody really cares that you spent 8,000 hours on it. You shouldn't really have spent 8,000 hours on it. Just drag it out of the weeds, change the fluids, weld in a cage and change the tires. OK, so we also changed brake pads.

^^^TR00F!!!^^^ See you guys again in SC?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/18/09 4:11 p.m.

The 'beat the crap out of the Cursed' was done early on. I remember a black Camaro getting the SNOT beaten out of it and the Cursed team was able to get it going again.

We plan to be there in April, hope to see the Chuckers, Schumacher Taxi and the Obamanation again!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/18/09 4:18 p.m.
the Obamanation again!

Hopefully we'll berkeleying kill it this year. END THIS HONG!!!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/18/09 4:39 p.m.

I was planning on bringing a 1993 mustang 4 cyl to LeMons, but after spending hundreds of hours and about 1000 dollars (still within the rules spending), I decided that I loved the car too much to see it T-boned at the first corner, or chosen as the curse...(4 inexperienced drivers, I guarantee we would hit SOMETHING)...so I followed previous advice, and I decided to take it autocrossing instead.

if you can't walk away from a car (financially or emotionally), then don't race it wheel to wheel.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/18/09 4:51 p.m.

I wish there was one closer. I'd love to pull the Fox back out and run it in LeMons. If the demolition derby couldn't kill it maybe LeMons could. Plus, how bad ass would it be to have a car that competed in the BABE rally, a demolition derby, and LeMons, in that order.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
8/18/09 7:43 p.m.

We'll be there. Providing the rebuilt engine (I know, but the last two 2xx,xxx mile engines blew up last race, we had to do something) runs... ever.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
8/18/09 8:05 p.m.

Yeah, I really want to do this. It sounds like so much fun!

RobL
RobL Reader
8/19/09 8:23 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Yeah, I really want to do this. It sounds like so much fun!

So do it! Make a car or find a team that is looking for drivers. It looks like you are in NY, so there is Stafford that is close, CMP which is 12 hours, and Nelson Ledges which is about 7. It looks like they are adding Summit Point next year, so get your a$$ in gear.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
8/19/09 12:09 p.m.
16vCorey wrote: I wish there was one closer. I'd love to pull the Fox back out and run it in LeMons. If the demolition derby couldn't kill it maybe LeMons could. Plus, how bad ass would it be to have a car that competed in the BABE rally, a demolition derby, and LeMons, in that order.

A sub-framed car that's un-kill-able in a demo derby? What kind of weak suck demos are you running in? We have full sized sedans set on murder around here.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/19/09 1:18 p.m.

They really are not Demo Derbys any more. ( re the stang) If your not driving the car hard and trying to win I would say there is a good chance you wont get hit.

Its the going into turns 3 wide and cutting under some one that can get the car bumped. I have seen cars that were never touched the 1st day. then the 2nd they got a little more agressive and then the contact happened.

We have one of the qucker cars. A BMW e30, we were getting rear ended more than anything. There were a few good hits to the car, but they were not bad enough to get black flagged. We were passing cars via late breaking. the e30 can do this quite well. Out issue was the heavy v8 cars couldnt and would hit us. Look at the button willow photos there was a BMW 2002 with no bumpers that survived the race.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/19/09 1:19 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
16vCorey wrote: I wish there was one closer. I'd love to pull the Fox back out and run it in LeMons. If the demolition derby couldn't kill it maybe LeMons could. Plus, how bad ass would it be to have a car that competed in the BABE rally, a demolition derby, and LeMons, in that order.
A sub-framed car that's un-kill-able in a demo derby? What kind of weak suck demos are you running in? We have full sized sedans set on murder around here.

So do we, but I was running in the mini class. I got taken out by a guy who shoved me up the dirt wall, then got stuck to me. It still runs and drives beautifully, but it's a little crumpled now. Imagine that tearing around the LeMons track.

andrave
andrave Reader
8/19/09 1:43 p.m.

I thought they were supposed to award handicaps to vehicles that were obvious ringers. Why didn't they handicap this "ringer" by putting a used refridgerator on the hood, or something equally amusing/handicapping?

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/19/09 3:45 p.m.

They give them penalty laps. For example the Spec Miata at the 1st CMP race was docked a few hundred laps. So that at the end of the 1st day he was still in last place.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/19/09 4:53 p.m.

Yeah, the story is they started with a 50 lap penalty and started arguing with the judges. Then another 50, and another, and another... that's when the judge slammed the gavel, hollered 'That's 200 laps! You want to try for 250?' The worst thing for them was that had they taken the original 50 lap penalty they would have won, IIRC.

confuzion3, get on the LeMons forum and start searching for a team! I promise you won't regret it.

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/19/09 5:59 p.m.

Jens that is a great call. For all those people that want to do a Lemons event. Go to the forum and look under the HR area. There are cars that need drivers. This is a great way to get to drive if you dont have the skills to build a car.

Tuna.. I still have a complete NEW engine rebuild kit for a Volvo p1800 engine 1970ish. Not sure if its the same engine you have. But I have pistons, rings. cam etc.. If I recall. Id need to go look if your interested.

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
8/19/09 7:55 p.m.

Yeah, it is the same. There are two variants, the B18 and the B20. We already have the parts to throw an engine together, but we could potentially always look for more. The way we are going, this car will be with us for many Lemons races to come... Take a look and E-mail me bkb001 at gmail.com

Armitage
Armitage Reader
8/20/09 9:22 a.m.
It looks like they are adding Summit Point next year, so get your a$$ in gear.

Where did you see that? Summit is only 1 hr from me vs. the 8 hrs to SC or OH.

See you guys at CMP in 4 weeks ;)

bam2002
bam2002 New Reader
8/20/09 10:24 a.m.

Plus there is the Chump car series. Pretty much the same thing, and there are 2 of them in FL.. so Looks like ill have at least 4 races to go to next year.

RobL
RobL Reader
8/20/09 1:59 p.m.
Armitage wrote:
It looks like they are adding Summit Point next year, so get your a$$ in gear.
Where did you see that? Summit is only 1 hr from me vs. the 8 hrs to SC or OH. See you guys at CMP in 4 weeks ;)

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?pid=8547#p8547

Jay said: What I can tell you is that we'll do about twice as many races in 2010 as in 2009, and that some of the tracks we've been negotiating with all year are tracks that you're going to like. Particularly if, you know, you happen to live in WV.--Jay Lamm

He didn't say what track at Summit. But I hope there are multiple events there.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
8/20/09 6:39 p.m.
Jensenman wrote: LeMons is first and foremost a party, as in 'I went to a party and a road race broke out'. As was said earlier, if you are going to get all serious about your racing then maybe you are better off doing something else that weekend. As it says on the Web site, 'Participants are expected to play well with others'. There have been plenty of teams who showed GREAT ingenuity when building their cars and honestly may have put too much time into them, personally I didn't let it bother me. Now, the ones driving like azzholes, that's a different story. That's what I took into account when checking off my ballot. I know that even with Tirewarmer and his damn blackflags, the Taiwanese National Anthem, wrenching on the car, etc I still had a great time and I'll do it again.

tirewarmer collects black flags...

Lemons is expensive to prepare for and to enter. The safety gear way exceeds car value and the reliability limits track time for most "legal" cars. A lot of the drivers should stay at the party and stay off the track.

It is supposed to be "fun" if it is not - don't do it. Not a fan of the crushing - but understand the basis.

My old team is running for the third time in Sep - my kids will be working the event I think.

bam2002
bam2002 Reader
8/23/09 9:52 a.m.

So how many here will be at CMP for the 3rd time? Its our 3rd time out. And hope this will be the time we can finally run a complete race without having something Major to Fix. I spent all day yesterday pulling the transmission just to look at the clutch and throw out bearing to make sure there ok. I had to replace the starter. And updated the Exhaust to make sure we are OK with the new rules. BTW is Exhaust now part of Safety? Then did alot of Securing of hoses and wiring to make sure nothing wears through. I think we used 80 zip ties. Next weekend we are off to a secret testing site..

tuna55
tuna55 Reader
8/23/09 7:21 p.m.

Third for us.

Exhaust caused two fires last time at CMP, so yup, safety.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fs1HhvyslCuwNNHWyXzmOB7LnvkWnSkwnpqX5kBVKpgKHrEGuuZGQGOYftUDxz7K