Skobie
Skobie New Reader
5/30/18 1:16 p.m.

Hi All! 

My college-age kid is doing a co-op program in Dayton OH and I lent them one of my late model vehicles (JK Wrangler) to use to commute to their job. They'll be running up enough miles on this vehicle to need basic car care (oil changes, religious tire rotations, etc) over the next 8 months, and my kid doesn't have a great place to work on car (not to mention tools, legit jack, experience, etc). I'm looking for a Dayton-area independent shop or Jeep dealer that fits 3 criteria: 1) they do the basic work comptently, 2) they avoid upselliing to a naive customer, and 3) they don't price gouge. Any recommendations from my GRM brethren?

Kramer
Kramer Dork
5/30/18 4:36 p.m.

What part of Dayton?   I haven't lived there in 20 years, but you may get a better response with an general location. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/30/18 4:43 p.m.

car talk mechanics files has never steered me wrong.

https://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
5/30/18 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Kramer :

Thanks for the tip! He attends the University of Dayton and is living near campus (zip 45409); he works up by the airport in Vandalia (zip 45377).

Cactus
Cactus Reader
5/30/18 11:21 p.m.

SCP Automotive on Schantz is pretty close and they're decent guys. They stay pretty busy, so I don't think they'd need to upsell. I haven't used them in years so I can't talk about price, but they did alright when I needed them.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/31/18 8:09 a.m.

I live in southern Dayton.  Colletti Motorsports is where I normally go for car stuff, in Moraine.  The Tire Discounters on Feedwire Rd has autocross guys working there that I use for some things.  I forget the name, lemme look...  EDIT:  Paul Curley is the one I talk to.

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
5/31/18 7:18 p.m.

Hey Cactus and Jerry - thanks for your help with this! Anyone else have any leads??

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/18 9:29 a.m.

Since you've got a wrangler, is it time to join the local off-road club, and see who they use?

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/1/18 2:14 p.m.

op here-

Wrangler is a daily driver and not being used as off-road rig, so wasn't really looking at off-roadshows mod shop / maintenence...  

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/18 3:46 p.m.

Yeah, but I figured those circles would know who's who in the area..

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/2/18 2:13 p.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

*facepalm* didn't even think of that....but my needs are probably sooner than could be afforded by him finding, joining, and picking the brains of club members....

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/2/18 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Thanks for adding Paul's name. Should I tell him that Jerry with the Abarth sent me?

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/3/18 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Skobie :

I believe he will remember me.  He put the Firehawk 500's on the Abarth and some Nexen's on the xB.  So yeah, I don't think he'll dock you any points. wink

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/3/18 10:12 a.m.

Call the manager/owner of the local parts house (NAPA, Carquest, etc), explain what you're looking for, and ask who  they would recommend. 

Every legitimate repair shop is a customer of a local parts supplier.  The person who owns this parts supplier has probably been in the automotive repair world for decades.  They can help you out.  Their best customers are the shops that you want to have working on your car.  

This is my first-hand experience from selling parts to repair shops.

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/4/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Thanks, Jerry!

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/4/18 7:29 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

That's a great idea - thank you!

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
6/4/18 11:19 p.m.

Millet's Automotive in Piqua, a little north of Dayton. Cory can take care of you. He runs the repair side, his dad runs the machine shop portion. They have engine/chassis dynos, build 1000+ HP big blocks on the regular for boats and drag cars, and the 3 of them all race Nostalgia Drag Racing League with 6 and 7 second cars. 

Skobie
Skobie New Reader
6/5/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to AwesomeAuto :

Thank you, AA! Sounds like an awesome resource!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AWkWmzKHL2HvqbjbTPV5rpB0rbyIoOvHFuwYlNv8Td51e9j0KhFldE9vUQqQqZjZ