1 2 3 4 ... 23
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
4/27/11 5:04 p.m.

I wouldn't recommend 1st. gen. MS3 wheels simply because they are HEAVY. They weigh 24.5lb apiece. RX-8 wheels weigh 20lb apiece, so they are a better option if you decide to move to 18s. Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil works really well in the regular 2.3L motor, not just the 2.3T. WallyWorld sells the 5qt. jugs for cheaper than buying five 1qt. jugs from a FLAPS. 1st and 2nd on a 1st. gen. MS3 are very short. They got spaced out a little better on the 2nd. gen. MS3, so keep that in mind when going shopping for a 6-speed.

BTW, did TWM ever get back to you about if they make a short-shifter for the Mazda5, or if the Mazda3 kit will fit?

keethrax
keethrax Reader
4/27/11 5:18 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: I wouldn't recommend 1st. gen. MS3 wheels simply because they are HEAVY. They weigh 24.5lb apiece.

I'd agree. On the other hand, if you choose to ignore this, I have a set of the MS3 wheels that will be available very soon.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
4/27/11 6:45 p.m.

Don't know what your options are for plates up there, but if you're gonna call it the Falcon, you need a good one. My tripple black turbo brick had "VADERS" and my white Miata has "KENOBI". "HANSOLO", "HAN", etc. are probably taken so here is my suggestion:

"SHOT1ST"

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

LMAO! SHOT1ST would make a great plate! I'm rocking the military retired plates though, gotta use the few perks I get.

I am thinking of getting VAY2VST for vine Porsche vough...

Josh
Josh Dork
4/27/11 11:20 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I think it looks pretty sharp as well! Better than the 3 anyways. The cargo space is really useful as the 4 back seats all pop flat in seconds for a flat floor. It has haul half of an IKEA store I like the "space age" look to it, and even the Platinum color is growing on me. Imagine it lowered on MS3 or RX-8 wheels...

I brought home half a kitchen worth of cabinets from IKEA in my Mom's '08 GT last week, great car to borrow for such duties :). Maybe I'll even buy it from them a few years down the road, it's a pretty amazing combo of cargo and people hauling ability packaged into a reasonably sized vehicle that is efficient and even sort of fun to drive. Wish it were a stick though.

There are several interesting OEM wheel options for these, it seems:

RX8:

Another MS3 option (my favorite):

350z (not so sure about this one):

Javelin
4/28/11 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Josh:

I like the 2nd Gen MS3 wheels myself. Honestly though, I will likely go Enkei PF01 because I love the way they look, they're light, and I can get 17's.

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
4/28/11 12:08 p.m.

Nice ride. The Mrs. and I have been discussing this vehicle a lot lately. If I knew we would stop at 2 kids I would buy one now, but I think a third kid changes the equation too much.

Interested to see if you can eek more mpg out of it. High speeds kill mpg on my Mazda 3. Seems to do about 40mpg at 55mph, 35mpg at 60, 30mpg at 70, 28mpg at 80. Not terrible, but not great either.

Javelin
4/28/11 12:13 p.m.

In reply to twolittlebroncos:

We've had 3 car seats in it, but the one in the 3rd row needs to be more like a booster. A regular one will fit, but there's no LATCH back there, and it makes seat #6 uselss, though you can fold it down first to make more storage room. As long as the ages are different enough to shuffle like that it's great for 3. It won't do 4 kids unless at least two of them are big enough to sit on their own.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
4/28/11 12:37 p.m.

You could always paint the taillights with dupli color metalcast red.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
4/28/11 2:28 p.m.

The 5 comes in a stick?! Dang. It's a modern day Civic wagon, just without RT4WD. That car just went on my list.

Of course, I named my SE-R the Millennium Falcon a year ago, simply because it looks like a basic B13 and has horrible paint but then it gets up and goes like no econobox has any right to go...!

KATYB
KATYB Reader
4/28/11 3:28 p.m.

as another option might i suggest a duratec 3.0 swap assuming engine bay is same size as a 3 it can be done... ( i measured when we still had our 3) because lets be honest the 3.0 duratec has one sweet sweet exhaust note.

FlightService
FlightService HalfDork
4/28/11 8:26 p.m.

Welcome to the dark side!!! I have a Premacy myself and love it!!!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
4/28/11 8:41 p.m.

After my time in a rental mini-van on my honeymoon, I have one question. Does it have power sliding doors and rear hatch you can control from the front?

Javelin
4/29/11 8:45 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: After my time in a rental mini-van on my honeymoon, I have one question. Does it have power sliding doors and rear hatch you can control from the front?

Mine does not, but the higher trim levels might. You lose the 5-speed manual then.

Thanks for all the comments and support!

Vigo
Vigo Dork
4/29/11 8:47 p.m.
But I already have a 4wd van, and a more efficient commuter so I am having trouble coming up with any good reason that I need one other than its awesome and I want it.

I know how you feel. I really like the 5 from a distance but when i try to justify it to myself, i just cant. i already have a 50mpg commuter and a van that is better at being a van (also 5spd, avg 27mpg, 3 rows,soon to be awd).

It would have been nice if Mazda had sold a hybrid version of it BEFORE they ruined the looks.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
4/30/11 8:43 a.m.

You should not have a problem swapping an entire MS6 engine and AWD system into the 5. especially if it is a manual tranny to start. The 5 comes in AWD trim in Europe and uses the same underpinnings as the 3 so all the attachment points should be there.

It also comes with an optional 2 litre turbo diesel engine in Europe too, I wish they offered that here, I would have got that one on a heartbeat!

We love ours, heads up you will likely have to replace the rear shocks sooner then later, the 5 carries about 500 lbs more then the 3 most of that weight resting on the back and slightly harder springs with the same shocks as the 3 so those will wear out fast, I just replaced mine with KYB Gr2's a couple of months ago. Also replace the stock tires as the ones it comes with suck big time, and they are loud too.

Chris Rummel

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
4/30/11 8:46 a.m.

The Premacy comes in AWD. The wiring is different between the 5 and the Premacy but they are physically the same. Should only add a few months to the project.

http://www.mazda3club.com/showthread.php?t=40408

Javelin wrote:
Twin_Cam wrote: Ok, I'll say it: MS6 drivetrain swap. Now. Do it.
Probably can't. Flat floorpan negates driveshaft. I'll look into it when that time comes though!
Javelin
4/30/11 9:27 a.m.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... AWD Turbo Van......

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
4/30/11 9:03 p.m.

Looks like Chris and I had a GRM brainstorm at the same time. Spooky given that no LSxs or Miatas were mentioned or harmed in either post.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/1/11 1:27 a.m.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... AWD Turbo Van......

Eh? Never...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?58102-Awd-Boosted-5spd-Hybrid-Gas-Electric-1990-Caravan&p=797580#post797580

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/2/11 11:00 a.m.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
5/2/11 11:04 a.m.

That's the 5 from the Mazda dealership in Illinois right? They are building a Mazdaspeed2 now I think. It needs a BBQ or something on the roof rack.

I've been debating finding some low mileage MZ3 coilovers to put on the wife's 5 instead of going with just shocks. Although if they were really stiff it might go over like a girlfriend showing up at our front door.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/2/11 11:09 a.m.
bluesideup wrote: That's the 5 from the Mazda dealership in Illinois right? They are building a Mazdaspeed2 now I think. It needs a BBQ or something on the roof rack. I've been debating finding some low mileage MZ3 coilovers to put on the wife's 5 instead of going with just shocks. Although if they were really stiff it might go over like a girlfriend showing up at our front door.

Not real sure... but it's got a Speed drivetrain, and was here on Saturday for the One Lap of America.

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
5/2/11 11:19 a.m.

It is the Autobarn Mazda Speed 5 project. I like this pic with the four helmeted people in it.

The entire build is on Facebook under the name Speed 5 Project. There's some pretty detailed documentation.

Pic isn't working, my webfu isn't strong enough

KATYB
KATYB Reader
5/2/11 11:22 a.m.

the shocks go bad on the 3 easily. cant imagine on the 5. the 3's went bad on us at 22 k. and then the oems went bad again at 60k. sold it before we killed the kybs but my guess is they were on thier way out also..... lastly yall do know shocks should only last 50 to 70k to begin with right? ya they may not be totally gone then but normally lost 50 to 70% of thier ability by then.

1 2 3 4 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSsHEUggECj7HrQD7dxseaEZ1hs8UnXTjpLMGO3zLWMJouFztQLZ7FODyQmtakyq