Scott Lear
Scott Lear
7/27/17 3:25 p.m.

In that half-hour leading up to the green flag, TV loves to win our hearts with human interest pieces on our favorite drivers. Most of the profiles on the top-tier motorsports heroes come with low-resolution camcorder footage of a ridiculously young version of that driver in full racing gear, an oversized helmet dwarfing a little frame. We marvel at this …

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/28/17 3:30 p.m.

A neat article, I do love those cars.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/28/17 3:41 p.m.

A neat article times two !

I was up at Black Swan Racing dropping off a windshield that they were bringing South for another. Got a terrific tour of their facility, crawled all over their GT3 Mercedes and grabbed a hat on the way out.

Those Mercedes SLS AMG GT3s are just amazing ! ! ! I was somehow hoping that the body might actually be polished aluminum but it was a vinyl wrap. Still—AMAZING ! ! !

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/17 4:46 p.m.

Damn that's awesome! Good on him and his success in life! I find it interesting in 2010 he was strapped for cash then bought a 911 gt3 in 2012. 2011 must've been hell of a year!

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/29/17 11:03 a.m.

Know him and the family well..... not name dropping just sayin'...and the Viper Exchange is not more than 20 mins. from the house. Always root for him and Joeren whenever they turn a wheel.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/29/17 9:16 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

These cars still use the M156, right? Because I just happen to know a guy who knows those things inside and out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/17 9:40 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: In reply to 759NRNG: These cars still use the M156, right? Because I just happen to know a guy who knows those things inside and out.

Anyone we know?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/17 9:52 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

It's actually the M159 in the car. I went through the car pretty in-depth when Pappas was in town last year.

I'm a Ben fan too. Talked to him a good long time the first year he raced at COTA and every year since. They have had a tough year so far.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/30/17 8:23 a.m.

Well poop. This is what I get for playing with old tech.
I really should make an effort to go to one of the events at COTA and check the cars out. Mercedes is back in sportscar racing and their AMG product lineup is pretty solid and way more diverse than any of the other performance groups. I feel like they're just a few tweaks away from building a community that is as enthusiastic about driving the cars and they are about being seen in them.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/17 9:44 a.m.

Mercedes community love driving their cars. As much if not more than being seen in them. They're also down with working on them as well.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/30/17 10:08 a.m.

I wanted to disagree, but then I thought about AMG owners I've met in person, and they do indeed love driving their cars. And they community does seem to like the problem solving aspect of fixing things. I guess I meant to say they are underrepresented in the forms of recreational driving that requires helmets.
No matter, I'm glad to see them racing, I'm glad to see their product lineup, and I enjoy driving the one I have.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/30/17 5:09 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: does this response mean you're back in northhoustonish??

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/31/17 7:54 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

It means I've started packing. The trip home is long and winding and involves a battered Airstream, tubing behind a pontoon boat and a county Fair. I'll be very happy to replace the cam sensor on the van and get back to my AMG sport seats.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/31/17 9:27 a.m.

Got see a few of those up close this weekend at Mid Ohio for the PWC race and they are cool up close.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent:

Black Swan had the best livery and Hero card, I will try to get a pic posted later.

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/17 11:16 a.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent: Black Swan had the best livery and Hero card, I will try to get a pic posted later.

They also have the best press releases..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tZe09I9guiZ6nlaE0pGvixE7FiBziSWDnZoU6QWZnjFHftzwk5fuPlOQ14Trv1Dy