irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/14/18 8:33 p.m.

2005 Sequoia, we tow 5k pretty regularly. I've been using Hawk HPS pads on the truck for the last 25k miles or so and they've been fine.

This time I was initially planning to switch the the Hawk LT which may be a bit better for the application, but interested to see what other pads people have had good success with. There are a lot of choices out there on RockAuto, for instance, almost all of which are about half the price (or less) of the Hawks....Wagner Severe Duty, Monroe Severe Solution, Centric Fleet Performance, etc.

So anyone have any thoughts? I have Hawk pads on most of my cars for the last decade or so, so I know they'll be fine/good. But certainly open to something comparable for less money, if such an option exists.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
6/14/18 8:50 p.m.

I've had good luck with the Wagner Severe Duty on my Suburban 2500. Work well for towing and regular driving, no noise issues.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
6/14/18 8:58 p.m.

NAPA adaptive one pads IMO are one of the best over the counter pads on the market. They hold up well, performe great, quite, and are responsible priced.

Paul

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
6/14/18 9:09 p.m.

2007 FJ Cruiser, also towing 5k on a regular basis. I've been on Akebono Performance Ceramic (from RockAuto) for the past 17k miles and they do a great at both towing and daily driving. No noise and they seem to have no problems with the amount of heat I'm putting through them.

Prior to that I had Wagner Severe Duty and they worked well too. It's ever so slightly easier to modulate the brake pedal with the Akebonos, but you'd really have to be paying attention in order to tell the difference.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
6/14/18 9:14 p.m.

The Hawk super duty pads are pretty good (they're similar to the HP+ compound), but they're a little cold-phobic and kinda hard on rotors.  And a bit dusty.  If you're willing to spend up a bit, Carbotech AX6s have even more stopping power and better cold tolerance at the expense of making lots of dust. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BBZzuIOmKaoEws0aEimHu1IdCkupDMGzViZueyUpDwX9UNzA3Rt7AwZQOmzN69zv