Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
10/14/16 10:35 p.m.

My harbor freight have an annoying pin cut out that doesnt really fit my Volvo mounts and it has a vague locking mechanism. I like harbor freight but I'm enjoying wrenching enough to invest in nicer stands. Was going to pick up a pair early tomorrow

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
10/14/16 10:38 p.m.

Oh side note they will have to be available in store somewhere

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
10/14/16 11:57 p.m.

I have 3 sets of Craftsman stands- small 2 ton set, medium 4 ton set, larger 6 ton set- and they have worked perfectly for 15 years.. i also have a set of "Mack" jackstands that i got for $15 at Walmart that are identical in every way to my smallest Craftsman stands except for the sticker on them..

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
10/15/16 8:03 a.m.

These ESCOs are really great, but pricey. If you shop, around/use coupons you can get them for $50 each. They are awesome, and it takes a lot to get excited about a jack stand. Super stable, even at close to full extension, and the rubber pads mean you can skip the usual 2x4 on cars that have chassis hard points. Very strong, overkill really, and to me totally worth the $$$.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200358558_200358558

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/16 8:46 a.m.

Following. Soon I will have my own garage so I will need some nice jack stands.

wae
wae Dork
10/15/16 9:15 a.m.

I've got a set of two Craftsman ones that came with a really heavy floorjack about 15 years ago and I like them. I also have two sets of two jackstands that have no labels and were purchased by my dad before I was born, I think. None of those sets are the same size, though. I like the older ones because instead of having that weird rounded cutout like you're talking about, they are basically flat on the top. You know what would be awesome would be a set of four jackstands with 8 pads -- one set of pads with the little cutout for putting under an axle or a sway bar mount and one set that are flat for putting under a frame rail or control arm.

So, in other words, I am of no help whatsoever to you.

kamoikra
kamoikra New Reader
5/23/17 9:10 a.m.

I just come here to know an information about the floor jack stand. I am willing to buy this Torin T43004 jack stands. It will be worth to buy or not? Anyone know about this stand quality? I am seeing good review on amazon. So, I am thinking to buy it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/23/17 9:21 a.m.

Pre-canoe driveby?

DocV
DocV New Reader
5/23/17 10:12 a.m.

Do you all perceive the pin-through types as being safer than the common handle-lock kind? I have some Craftsman and some Wal-mart type stands, but have to admit to being a little paranoid -- I don't want my safety equipment made by the lowest bidder, to third world import standards.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/17 10:17 a.m.

You don't just put the wheel you took off under the car?

I've got the HF 3 tons and a combo deal 2 ton set from pep boys. Both the same style, both could really use a flat top, but even on my Rocky driveway they're fine.

kamoikra
kamoikra New Reader
5/23/17 10:50 a.m.

In reply to RevRi: I guess, you are talking about this stand? harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html I think I should go with HF 3 ton and this model has lots of positive reviews. And also, I am thinking to buy a good obd2 scanner. I have done some research about the scan tools too. I have not a big budget and thinking about Innova 3140 scan tool https://obd2scanners.org/innova/innova-3140-scan-tool-review-and-latest-update/ . I want to combine the purchase of those two tools. Where will I get a discount for this?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/23/17 11:17 a.m.

In reply to kamoikra:

yup that one. When they had a 25% off coupon I snagged them to paint the miata, now they live in the trunk of the Vic.

I might weld a flat pad on top of them to make things a little easier down the road.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8HafD3cenQXrNmU2HEjHPLcSf72yP0MfPUhbOaqTXxoFXN05flynrmr3t7DOhENF