1 2 3
rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/16/14 4:42 p.m.

not exactly a shelf, but old filling cabinets are also really nice for garage storage. They are cheap, sturdy, and they maximize the space in the drawers pretty well.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/1/14 10:09 a.m.

A long time later, i picked up one of these for $55. Still available through the 14th at this price at Menards.

http://www.menards.com/main/shelving-visualizer/garage-basement/5-shelf-steel-shelving-kit/p-1468732-c-12652.htm

Worth the money at $55. Screaming deal? No. But good.

Assembled quickly, pretty sturdy. Will probably go pick up two more this week, then i'll be set to go.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/1/14 11:35 a.m.

I have a mix in my garage. Since there is no basements in Texas, my storage for everything is the garage and it's busy.

On the walls I have wire shelves with filing cabinets under them. I also hung 4 set of surplus kitchen cabinets to hold tools.

I have 2 overhead racks. I can fit 10 tupperware containers on each. Those hold the christmas stuff and the household storage stuff.

Finally, I have a wall of peg board and 2 set of the MDF shelving in the corner. In the other corner is my tire/wheel storage area.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/1/14 11:50 a.m.

Good timing to bring this thread back up. We're about 6 weeks from closing on our house. It's going to have 12' ceilings in the basement, and I'm setting up a two bay (hopefully...if not, it'll be one) garage down there. So between car parts and my extensively ridiculous collection of Christmas display stuff, I need some serious storage. Lots of my Christmas stuff is light, some boxes weigh under 5lbs, so they can be stacked up high. Just have to make sure to secure them so they don't fall. I'm looking for bargains on pre-made units.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/1/14 5:48 p.m.

I have 8 of the ones in the OP or similar. All bought at HD or Lowe's on sale. Only one is in the garage because that's all I can fit, the rest are in the basement. I have had most of them for 10+ years and have had no problems. I did paint all the shelves before using them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/1/14 5:50 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Good timing to bring this thread back up. We're about 6 weeks from closing on our house. It's going to have 12' ceilings in the basement, and I'm setting up a two bay (hopefully...if not, it'll be one) garage down there. So between car parts and my extensively ridiculous collection of Christmas display stuff, I need some serious storage. Lots of my Christmas stuff is light, some boxes weigh under 5lbs, so they can be stacked up high. Just have to make sure to secure them so they don't fall. I'm looking for bargains on pre-made units.

Menard's also has the huge industrial deals for $140, and a $40 rebate, so $100 in the end. Honestly, the only reason i didn't just get two of those was because i really didn't want to move them when we move out of this place.

I will definitely be getting those for the shop, though.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/1/14 9:33 p.m.

I just picked up 4 sections of these Gorilla Racks off of Craigslist. The seller was closing down a warehouse and had over 20 sections. He said he bought them at Sam's Club originally. I like that they can link together and will allow me to actually make 6 sections in my shop. I also like that I can have the bottom shelf up high to allow me to store engines, etc. below easily. Now just to move all the crap out of the way to set them up.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/1/14 10:16 p.m.

What are yall doing for tire storage?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/1/14 10:21 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: A long time later, i picked up one of these for $55. Still available through the 14th at this price at Menards. http://www.menards.com/main/shelving-visualizer/garage-basement/5-shelf-steel-shelving-kit/p-1468732-c-12652.htm Worth the money at $55. Screaming deal? No. But good. Assembled quickly, pretty sturdy. Will probably go pick up two more this week, then i'll be set to go.

I almost bought one of those this weekend also. They were on sale for $50 at Lowes. I didn't like the thin particle board / MDF stuff used for the shelving surfaces so I got this one which uses steel.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/1/14 10:46 p.m.

How much was that? I have a transmission or three i'd like to get off the floor.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
12/2/14 6:34 a.m.

I have shelves like amg_rx7's pic but with the particle board centers. In the last place I had 3 sets of them. Two sets started to sag a little in the middle, and they didn't have a lot of weight on them. Imagine a shelf with just garage chemicals, sprays, etc, and the shelf started to sag in the middle. Those same two sets got mold damage on the shelves and the particle board got tossed.

Now the third set, had no mold damage, and held much heavier items, spare tires/wheels, full camping stuff, etc, and never warped. In fact that third set is still in use at this moment.

I probably would have tried to use the other two sets, but the PO of my new house put in the white wire shelving all through the garage. It is awesome. Its high enough up that I can still store larger items underneath. I'll try and get a pic up later to help explain.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/2/14 11:01 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: How much was that? I have a transmission or three i'd like to get off the floor.

Somewhere around $80-100. Can't remember exactly. I think I got that at Home Depot actually.

I plan on using it for exactly those types of parts - spare Miata trans, RX7 cat, Miata head and engine block etc.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/2/14 11:57 a.m.

I have the shelves octavious mentioned. Currently 4 sets holding 3 RX7 transmissions and one Super Beetle transmission as well as a ton of other goodies.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/4/15 11:52 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Edit: If you space the shelves evenly, Costco also sells the perfect sized flip-top plastic bins. They fit perfectly 3-wide per layer and cost about $6.50 each.

Dammit. At Costco today I was going to grab another half dozen of these totes or so. When I grabbed the first one I noticed some slight differences in them, so decided to verify the fitment on the demo shelves. Now 3 of these totes are like 1/8" to 1/4" too wide to fit on a single shelf.

Can't seem to find the original totes online anymore either. I'm considering notching the shelve supports right where the bins would hit them, but as its a hemmed over area I'd be killing a lot of structure. berkeley berkeley berkeley berkeley

daeman
daeman New Reader
1/4/15 3:30 p.m.

Pallet racking is the goods, but can be to big for some. Keep your eye out for ex supermarket shelving/shop shelving, a lot if the time it gets sent to scrap, its narrower than pallet racking but still very sturdy.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
1/4/15 4:32 p.m.

With so many Kmarts closing recently, if one is closing near you it may be worth a trip. I think they usually sell fixtures, shelving etc. for cheap when they close one. Maybe they have pallet racking in the stockrooms.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
7/25/18 10:33 a.m.

You just got everyone’s hopes up that SFO was back. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/25/18 11:19 a.m.
amg_rx7 said:
Swank Force One wrote: A long time later, i picked up one of these for $55. Still available through the 14th at this price at Menards. http://www.menards.com/main/shelving-visualizer/garage-basement/5-shelf-steel-shelving-kit/p-1468732-c-12652.htm Worth the money at $55. Screaming deal? No. But good. Assembled quickly, pretty sturdy. Will probably go pick up two more this week, then i'll be set to go.

I almost bought one of those this weekend also. They were on sale for $50 at Lowes. I didn't like the thin particle board / MDF stuff used for the shelving surfaces so I got this one which uses steel.

These ARE NOT designed for weight like a transmission.  I have had one collapse. It went right through an exterior wall.  Glad it didn't fall the other way where I was standing.

The weak point is the gauge of the legs.  When overloaded, one leg will begin to twist, and they will all go together.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/18 11:21 a.m.
Spoolpigeon said:

You just got everyone’s hopes up that SFO was back. 

yep, i was all like "Hey, SFO's back!"

i am disappoint.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/25/18 11:49 a.m.

Watch Craigslist for medical archive shelving. 

I just picked up a bunch (free), and they are awesome. Smooth surface metal shelves, 8’ tall, designed to be fully loaded with paper from top to bottom. 

The dividers are removable, so full width shelves. 

The feds are now requiring medical offices to go digital, so their medical records and archive shelving is obsolete. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/18 11:51 a.m.

While I suspect this thread came back thanks to a canoe, I'll chime in. 

This set, the one I found in store, is 24" deep. $149 at Sam's Club. 24" deep, 6 feet long and tall, weight capacity of 2000lb per shelf. 

Copied from my shop build thread. I really like the shelves, and for the few months I've had them they've been awesome as well as so affordable to start with. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/25/18 12:10 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Picture fail?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/25/18 12:28 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Yea, what I get for trying to copy multiple posts on my phone.

Here they are assembled

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/25/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That's what I thought you meant.

Those shelving units are awesome, and can truly hold the weight.  I have 3 of them, and have added casters to the legs. 

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/25/18 6:35 p.m.

Was that really a canoe that bumped this thread and we are playing along?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mlCGdbCNWUQFZdEiQ50G859zx9TfkqbwKnW6lNSsart7ddmmZV2cYuRHCF1Zgb4g