Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/10/12 1:25 p.m.

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.motoiq.com/projects/mazda/project_mazda_miatabusa.aspx

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
8/10/12 1:42 p.m.

I have a 2001 Yamaha R1 drivetrain I'd let go for about $800.

I switched to rotary power.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/12 1:47 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I'm just going to leave this here. http://www.motoiq.com/projects/mazda/project_mazda_miatabusa.aspx

That project has been on the launchpad for so long that it's in danger of being classified as vaporware, unobtaneum or DOA.

Shame, because it's a rockin' good idea.

kreb
8/10/12 1:47 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I have a 2001 Yamaha R1 drivetrain I'd let go for about $800. I switched to rotary power.

I'm tempted to buy that just to store for a future project. Where do you live?

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
8/10/12 1:49 p.m.

The new itty bitty 4 from Fiat/Dodge is an extremely light and tiny package plus already comes with a good power and many more upgrades coming.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/10/12 1:58 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Did the Nissan KA24 (ala 240SX, Hardbody Pickups, etc) ever come in all-aluminum?

No but they did make the sr20de which is cheap ($800-1000 for engine/trans from japan) in normally aspirated form.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/10/12 2:08 p.m.

Most of the motorcycle engined cars are blowing up the engines from engine braking into corners/decellerating. Apparently they're not designed to do that. LOL RCR was having issues with that with their little Nemesis race car. They quit engine braking so much and haven't had a problem since.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/10/12 2:20 p.m.
kreb wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: I'm just going to leave this here. http://www.motoiq.com/projects/mazda/project_mazda_miatabusa.aspx
That project has been on the launchpad for so long that it's in danger of being classified as vaporware, unobtaneum or DOA. Shame, because it's a rockin' good idea.

Disagree. He's still posting updates on it. It moves ever closer to reality.

He's also planning to offer some of the parts as a kit to make the swap easier in the future.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/10/12 2:30 p.m.

One of the lightest would be the Suzuki G13B, but it's short of your 140hp goal. Add turbo?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/10/12 2:32 p.m.

In reply to kreb: So his bike engine car is a "good idea" and mine doesn't make enough torque... (confused face)

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/10/12 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

Duely noted.

kreb
8/10/12 2:42 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to kreb: So his bike engine car is a "good idea" and mine doesn't make enough torque... (confused face)

The Miatabusa utilizes a beefier transmission with a reverse, making the bike setup significantly more useful, durable and appropriate for a car with a 2 as the first number in its weight. I absolutely would like to build a BEC utilizing a paddle shift at some point, but would like to keep total vehicle minus driver weight to 1200 lbs. or less.

kreb
8/10/12 2:44 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Disagree. He's still posting updates on it. It moves ever closer to reality. He's also planning to offer some of the parts as a kit to make the swap easier in the future.

Sounds good, but at 2 1/2 years, you have to admit that the development process isn't exactly brisk.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
8/10/12 7:39 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Most of the motorcycle engined cars are blowing up the engines from engine braking into corners/decellerating. Apparently they're not designed to do that. LOL RCR was having issues with that with their little Nemesis race car. They quit engine braking so much and haven't had a problem since.

I use engine braking into corners all the time on my bikes with no issues. They also sell slipper clutches for them to eliminate wheel lock up.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
8/10/12 9:07 p.m.

BMW M42. 140hp. Timing chain motor, very reliable, supercharger available. Lots of cheap donor cars floating around.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
8/11/12 4:27 a.m.
Rusnak_322 wrote:
Conquest351 wrote: Most of the motorcycle engined cars are blowing up the engines from engine braking into corners/decellerating. Apparently they're not designed to do that. LOL RCR was having issues with that with their little Nemesis race car. They quit engine braking so much and haven't had a problem since.
I use engine braking into corners all the time on my bikes with no issues. They also sell slipper clutches for them to eliminate wheel lock up.

coughs I think the point here is: Engine braking a 500 lbs bike with a 180lbs rider is one thing. Engine braking a 1200+ lbs car with 180 lbs drive is a whole hell of a lot more force for the engine, clutch, and transmission to deal with.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
8/11/12 8:39 a.m.

And through 2 tire contact patches rather than just 1 ...

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
3/5/19 11:02 p.m.

Radical has been very successful with Hayabusa engines, so I'm wondering if anyone has a Turbo Busa in an MR2 Spyder or a De Sol?

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/6/19 6:31 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

Dude, what the hell you talking about lol

4AGE is an iron block

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
3/6/19 6:50 a.m.

Wow, 7 year old thread. Never know where these are going to come from

But, to the original point, I still think GM's LTG is a great option.. well over 200Hp and Torque, Turbo'ed 2.0, available with a manual, and there's a standalone control pack sold through GM performance. I am always half-looking for the transmissions (harder to find) so I can pick up an engine (easy to find) when I have a car to put it in.

svxsti
svxsti Reader
3/8/19 1:36 p.m.

Anyone seen Matthew Dunn's MRS?

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
3/8/19 2:09 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. I really want to put the motor from my SVT Focus into a late '80s base Ranger after NY winters consume enough of the Focus' body.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
3/8/19 3:05 p.m.
svxsti said:

Radical has been very successful with Hayabusa engines, so I'm wondering if anyone has a Turbo Busa in an MR2 Spyder or a De Sol?

no but there is one in a Subie Micro Van

clshore
clshore Reader
3/8/19 5:27 p.m.

The 2019 Honda Accord base motor is a 192HP/192 ft-lb turbocharged L15.

More power (225 HP?) is available from some hot Civic models.

Now, just needs a RWD transmission.

(BMW 323 Getrag 5 speed? Compact, strong, cheap, but you need an adaptor plate)

PHAN
PHAN New Reader
3/8/19 6:03 p.m.

Toyota 3S-GE "BEAMS" Engines with a 6 speed manual trans can be found for 1k on Ebay all day long.

315ish lbs. 197hp. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Altezza-Engine-Lexus-IS300-Engine-JDM-3SGE-Beams-Engine-6spd-Trans-3S-GE/333096719078?hash=item4d8e1c92e6:g:IFUAAOSwV51cUJE1&frcectupt=true

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q5uwWGjPZ4m3tlo6taiyUEVgmgdVy2rdAPO5EAE2aXFWV5L7qF1AoOi0HnYOiiQP